Poodle Forum banner

321 - 336 of 336 Posts

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
Tux does have SA actually a mild case however his breeder was upfront AND refused any litter mates be bred
Yr right! This is the safest way to maybe breed out SA. But . . oh yeah . . there's a 'but' comin'..... ;) lol

Think abt this... what might we be breeding out? There's a big 'maybe' that there's a inherited gene for SA. We don't know for sure but it's too big a chance to take. I agree with that.

But there's always a very small 'maybe' that one of those culled dogs has a mutated gene that actually starts to improve a 'Front'? And maybe that particular dog does not carry any gene for SA. Who knows???

Gene research is the answer. But we're not there yet.

..... back to the thread :)

·
Administrator
664 Posts
Last warning... keep this thread on topic. Keep the speculation out. Keep the personal bickering out of this too. Next time, this thread will be closed and removed. LAST WARNING.

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
:peace2:please folks, please, please, please, let's put the focus back onto the 29 poodles in rescue with uncertain futures! Maybe start a new thread on diversity or jump over to PM's? Really, for the sake of the poodles, pretty please!
Oooooops!!! And NOW u tell me! When I've already posted twice... and haven't even got to the end of the thread yet.... :eek: lol

I've always seen forum threads as similar to a cocktail party conversation. There's noooo way of telling where it's gonna go. :confused:

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Can anyone ask the Forgot-Me-Not-Shelter to post more updates, since several members seem to correspond with them.

·
Registered
920 Posts
No, your dog bloated because it's a deep chested breed, that could literally happen in ANY line.
Fluffyspoos, I don't want to knitpick, but I think it is important to consider the possibility that emphasis on deep chests in the breed (-- & other breeds as well), and breeding for this quality (without consideration to function --- i.e., whether it actually benefits the life of the dog in any way, like in some performance capacity), is primarily a product of dog showing. There is very little way to tell when "deep" is "too deep" to be a benefit to the animal, unless the dogs are tested in some functional capacity, somewhat like what "mother nature" would do. (Form follows function, and if the only function is showing, which actually requires very little true physical/behavioral quality, or longevity, etc., well ... The "best" form for the health & happiness of the animal may not be the one fanciers find the most aesthetically pleasing, nor the one described in the Breed Standard).

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
Sigh......

My long post last nite was in connection with loosing any genetic diversity that Yadda's dogs may have had. Either for being 'not pretty enuf' or the fact that shelters will not release intact dogs... never.

*I've mention that previously.*

But . . . for whoever's reason . . . these dogs are lost. And the breed looses...

·
Registered
11,698 Posts
I think Forget Me Not are doing their very best under very difficult circumstances - remember they are a small volunteer organisation, who are taking excellent care of a very large number of poodles in addition to all the other animals they help. They post regular updates on Facebook and their website when they have time, and have been scrupulous about responding personally to everyone who has donated. I think they are doing an amazing job of helping the dogs and communicating - much as we might like more frequent postings, I think we have to recognise that the animals have first call on their time and energy.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #328
Last warning... keep this thread on topic. Keep the speculation out. Keep the personal bickering out of this too. Next time, this thread will be closed and removed. LAST WARNING.
I don't see any personal bickering...just natural evolution of conversation, also this is only the first warning this thread has recieved. I just scoured the 33pages and I don't see any warnings or redirects given by you or the moderator. Personal curiousity, what are the rules on a redirect/warning on a thread? There are set rules for a personal warning and what not but no published rules on the warnings/redirects given on a thread

Personally this is the longest threw I've seen to date that HASN'T turned into a sh*tstorm...so I'm not entirely sure where the warning is coming from

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
Fluffyspoos, I don't want to knitpick, but I think it is important to consider the possibility that emphasis on deep chests in the breed (-- & other breeds as well), and breeding for this quality (without consideration to function --- i.e., whether it actually benefits the life of the dog in any way, like in some performance capacity), is primarily a product of dog showing. There is very little way to tell when "deep" is "too deep" to be a benefit to the animal, unless the dogs are tested in some functional capacity, somewhat like what "mother nature" would do. (Form follows function, and if the only function is showing, which actually requires very little true physical/behavioral quality, or longevity, etc., well ... The "best" form for the health & happiness of the animal may not be the one fanciers find the most aesthetically pleasing, nor the one described in the Breed Standard).
Here are some articles stating that wolves, with Mother Nature's own breed standard, can bloat as well. Fed dog food, of course.

Watertown Daily Times | Two new wolves welcomed at zoo

Lake Tahoe Wolf Rescue - Bloat/Twisted Bowel

http://www.nagonline.net/HUSBANDRY/Diets pdf/Mexican Wolf Nutrition.pdf

So you're saying that since we don't run our dogs as much as they would in the wild, they should all have barrel bodies? Better start emailing all the breed clubs, saying that you've discovered a way to prevent bloat forever.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
So have some non-show breeders. :) Show breeders are any more to blame for health issues than non-show breeders.
Good point, CM. There are all kinds of breeders with all kinds of different motivations making all kinds of good and bad breeding decisions. I said: "In their zeal to produce prefect conformation, some show breeders may have made breeding decisions that produce lines that are nice looking but not healthy." I still think that's true. I also think that there are show breeders who care a lot about health and do a lot to improve the health as well as the beauty of the breed. There are non-show breeders who are very careful about health, and those who aren't. Thanks for your comment.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Here are some articles stating that wolves, with Mother Nature's own breed standard, can bloat as well. Fed dog food, of course.

Watertown Daily Times | Two new wolves welcomed at zoo

Lake Tahoe Wolf Rescue - Bloat/Twisted Bowel

http://www.nagonline.net/HUSBANDRY/Diets pdf/Mexican Wolf Nutrition.pdf
"... it is important to consider the possibility ..." & there seems to be some agreement among people who study this that there is a genetic component ....

So you're saying that since we don't run our dogs as much as they would in the wild, they should all have barrel bodies?
I'm not saying anything of the kind.

·
Registered
8,040 Posts
Those of us who followed the case know how it was resolved. I just learned more of the "back-story," which I found of interest and thought to share. Here's a link to a short interview with Cindy Crawley, president of the Poodle Club of America Rescue Foundation and founder and president of the Mid-Atlantic Poodle Rescue.

Pet Relocation Spotlight: A Poodle Rescue Story - Pet Travel Advice | PetRelocation.com

Still hoping Daisy is found safe, that would make for an even happier ending.:clover:

·
Registered
8,040 Posts
There's a heartwarming update on some of the rescued poodles from the raid in the current edition of PCA's Poodle Papers. ("Happy Tails," pages 34-36.) Poodle Papers: Summer 2013

·
Registered
40 Posts
There's a heartwarming update on some of the rescued poodles from the raid in the current edition of PCA's Poodle Papers. ("Happy Tails," pages 34-36.) Poodle Papers: Summer 2013
I haven't been on the forum long, and therefore do not know anything about the breeder in question. I read the Happy Trails piece, and on the one hand they were great stories about how some of the dogs were rescued and then found good homes. However, it is both disgusting and disheartening to read how the breeder treated her dogs.

321 - 336 of 336 Posts