Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
does anyone require their dogs to go in a specific spot in the yard? I am hoping to train my puppy to pee and poop in a less used spot in my backyard so my kids can still play outside with out the fear of them stepping into something etc. Does anyone else do this? How hard is it to train and did you section that area off at first to get them used to the idea?
Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I've mentioned this in another thread, but yes, you can train them to go in a certain spot. Sectioning it off in the beginning might make it easier on you to control where they go, so that is a good idea.
Other than that you just need to take them to that exact area every time they need to go.
I've also heard that if you leave a small amount of their poop in that area, it's easier for them to go, because they know the smell means it's their potty area.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks! I couldn't remember if this topic had already been covered, sorry if it's a repeat topic for most of you!

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Don't worry about the repeat. I'm gathering all the information I can. I have potty-trained before, but it's been so long ago. I also made some mistakes where I can see my expectations were not consistent with reality. This will help me get my new little girl acclimated to her potty time with a lot less stress.

I will put Zulee on a feeding schedule. I also bought some artificial turf off of eBay which I have made as her potty place. Our back yard is very small and full of rock pavers and river rock. It's not real easy for a little one to find a comfortable place and it all looks the same. I wanted her to have a grassy place and be able to distinguish where her potty place is. The artificial grass is 2" tall and perforated. It actually looks pretty cool. Did I mention we don't like to mow? LOL.

When we get our puppies, we can compare notes on what seems to work best. Right now it looks like I will be getting Zulee a couple weeks after you get yours.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
wow, artificial grass is a cool idea! my hubby would like the "no mowing" part! lol
The feeding schedule is a very important part of potty training for sure!! you're so right! I think we're going to put pea gravel down in a small area for Rogan to use as his toilet... hoping he'll get the idea that the gravel is to pee on and the grass is to play on... and it will be easier for us to keep clean. Plus the kids will know to stay away from it! (hopefully:curl-lip:)
I think it's so fun to be able to chat with other new puppy owners and get ideas and tips on raising them!! IT will be so fun to watch our little guys grow up together on the forum. :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Toilet training is a real mine field with so many different techniques out there. My new RSPCA girl mini will be coming tommorrow. she's approx. 12 months but training wise I'll be starting from the bottom step ! I'm going to play it by ear for the first few days - check out her general behaviour and then formulate a plan!

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Toilet training is a real mine field with so many different techniques out there. My new RSPCA girl mini will be coming tommorrow. she's approx. 12 months but training wise I'll be starting from the bottom step ! I'm going to play it by ear for the first few days - check out her general behaviour and then formulate a plan!
AH! I'm so excited for you! Today's a big day! Remember to post pictures!! Good luck :clover: with the training, I'm it will go fine, but good idea to start with the basics :) So happy for you!!

·
Registered
53 Posts
That's what I'm hoping to accomplish too. Unfortunately he seems to like our side of the fence where he met the neighbors dog instead of the back area. I'm going to try placing some of his poop where I want him to go and see how that works.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts