Poodle Forum banner

Another poodle !

31467 177
So I been thinking that I want my own poodle now ! so maybe when Enzo turns 6 months I will consider getting my own :D
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

· Registered
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Technically he is my sister’s dog she paid for him etc…. I train and play with him lol

· Registered
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I agree as well. Plus soon your sister will be dressing Enzo up in pink clothes. lol You can't take that! lol
LOL I wanted to get another red poodle but I am not too fawn of the fact they fade to a apricot color :( . So maybe a silver dog ? or black dog. if i get silver at least i expect him or her to get lighter lol Or maybe a parti poodle

· Registered
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Roxy, not all of them fade. The fading is caused by a dd ressessive dilute gene and if the dog carries a Dd or a DD which is dominant and can't fade you will have a very nice red dog forever. I plan on having my puppies tested for the dilute gene when they are born, that way i know.
What breeder has true reds ? I asked a bunch of red standard breeders and they where rude saying " good luck finding a red that does not fade "

· Registered
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
I been to but she is asking way too much for her puppies , I also looked over her dogs and I don't think they stayed that color I have emailed her and got no reply. I also read that she does not show in AKC or CKC because of the grooming. IMO that is a poor excuse not to show because she can pay a groomer to groom her dogs especially if she is charging 3k for them.

What I am finding that most of these Red breeders are posting pics of their dogs as pups and when they are young. I have not seen any passed 2 years or older with a red coat that stays.

I am going to be calling Terry Farley next week , I chatted with him through email and he seems so nice. I will see what he says about them fading.

· Registered
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I guess I really lucked out with Casey...I know she doesn't have papers, which I am not sure I would do with anyway.

I don't plan to show her, so if she is not show quality then I don't care.

I don't plan to breed her, since I can't show her and will never know if she has qualities besides a great personality to pass on to her offspring.

I know I could have her tested enough to see if her body is physically sound enough...but if Chicky Chat is going to have such fabulous reds and apricots here in Indiana I see no reason to give her any competition!

Although if she keeps a male from her trigger litter I might be tempted to have her tested knowing there is a nice quality male within 300 miles from me that is RED with a RED background. Hmmmm I guess it would just make more sense to just save up my money and hope she has another litter from Trigger in the next couple of years, although a litter of red and apricots running around the house would be cute as heck!

I know that Casey is a bot orangey more than the deep red and she will likely lighten more with age. I just hope that she doesn't turn chocolate or silver beige like I have seen some 2 yr old dogs do that were supposed to be red! We have a rescue male that was dark red as a pup, then lightened to chocolate/silver beige now at 2 yrs old...wild. I never saw his parents, but the paperwork says they were both red...but I bet they were also young dogs that had not faded yet. To me its more about the personality, but if red is what you want then I totally understand when you are willing to search for one. We had to go all the way to TN to find a true red female toy poodle, and we paid out the nose and that was for just CKC papers! We didn't get her to breed or show, so AKC papers were not needed in our opinion, besides that would have cost us alot more! I understand that people don't want the bloodlines getting out and therefore charge more for fully registered dogs, but the difference was SO much it was a little like they were more looking for the money. Its not like she had pups for sale on spay/neuter contracts, just more money for "better" paperwork. If I would have gotten a spayed puppy along with limited AKC papers I would have paid her more, but she wasn't interested in doing that.

I know a long time ago there was someone in Indiana that had nice reds, and her males name was Tigger...if I can find out more about her dogs or if she is still breeding I will pm you the info. I know she sent me some pics of Tigger as like a 14 month old and he was RED RED RED...I can't even remember her name or other info, but I liked Tigger so much the name stuck in my mind. When I saw the name "Trigger" it made me think of him!
Thanks IPP

Yeah I live in CA I don't mind shipping the puppy but I have family in Indiana so maybe I could visit and check out the dogs etc.....

· Registered
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Chicky Chat - Paris is Preston's brother right?
Roxy if you did get another puppy that was black or silver you should get one from Preston's human mama (Michelle Able). Honestly if I ever get another spoo, I believe I'll save up and buy from her. They take SUCH good care of their puppies and have them pretty much potty trained by the time they come with you. She takes all kinds of pictures and is a great person to work with. She had some beautiful blacks and silvers in her last liter. Do you live in Indiana? That is where Michelle is. If you don't, I probably have you confused with some of the others Indiana people on here. :)
Yeah I am in CA does she have a website ? I found another breeder that has maghony red poodles her dogd look like they stay that deep their whole life, I sent her a puppy application so I will see if I can visit her kennel.

· Registered
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Here is the link she sent me when I was inquiring about red standards...mind you this was probably over a year ago now. She had an ad up for a red standard male as a stud, so I thought I would e-mail to ask if she ever had puppies...and this is the link she sent me. I do have her phone number...if this link doesn't work for you then pm me and I can send you her phone number.

http://tropicalcactus.com/REDSTANDARDPOODLEPUPPIESFORSALEILLINOIS2008LEKEPOODLES.html

Thanks
Tina
LEKE POODLES
IPP i have been emailing this breeder. she seems nice but like i said earlier many breeders are lying about their dogs staying red. i have asked her to send me recent pictures and she keeps sending me old pics of when her dogs where young. look a how light tigger is now !!!!!!!! the mother of here recent litter is from majestic kennel she looks nice but again i do not know her true color as of now, i will post pics that she sent me later.

· Registered
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
As soon as Paris has her puppies I'm going to have their DNA tested for the Dilute gene individually. That way I'll know if each puppy has it or not and I can advertise it that way. I want to be 100% sure before I make any promises to anyone.
can you keep me posted on your pups?

· Registered
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Im with PP too. I would NEVER consider a person that call's themselves a breeder that breeds sheparddoodles and so forth. lol Im actually laughing because that website said enough right there. Sorry if that sounds rude but that me being real.

By the way to whom ever is looking for a puppy, a website says a lot just by the way they advertise themselves. People that are really into there dogs and the best for the breed represent there sites very well too. I may sound like a snob but its the truth. Also quality standard Poodle's run about 2,000 or 3,000 if you want a show potential. You can get a pet from a "so called breeder" that does 0 health testing for 1,000 all day long.

Wow PP, all this red talk reminds me of the bully "blue dog" stuff. Everyone's trying to get a piece of the pie. lol
yeah of course i make sure the breeder health test. i really don't go by some ones website since many people are not web savvy. i seen all of the breeders websites on the apricot and red poodle club. this is how i got in contact with terry farley from farley d poodles. susan osburn (sp) in nevada she has bred the fourth red ch , raquel just finished so i might contact her as well since she is super close to me compared to terry and the canadian breeders.

· Registered
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Well, lol, from looking at her website, she looks like a much better breeder then most of the red Poodle breeder's I have seen. If a good breeder is not web savvy then they have one of there fellow breeder friends do there website. First impressions mean a great deal and internet is the best advertisment for a dog breeder. As you get further into showing and meet reputable breeder's, you will see what Im saying.

I still stand by what I said about not caring how their website is lol. I have met many people with great dogs over the 10 years of going to dog shows and their website is crap or out dated. I know they can pay for someone to do the website or have a friend but if they are a good breeder they don't need that kind of avertisment IMO. If i based my opinion on webistes I would end up with a small number of breeders to talk to lol IMO most have HORRIBLE websites .I agree Lumeire's website is nice. This brings to mind American bully kennels. Some of these breeders have the flashest sites great pics etc... There dogs are horrible ..... so the website does not mean anything to me.

I am not so stuck on color but if I can get another red or apricot that is nice then I might get one , other wise blue,silver,black,brown is fine with me. I just won't get a white lol

· Registered
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
You and I certainly have difference of what a nice dog when it comes to Amsttaffs.
??? I did not say a american bully is an amstaff nor did I say their dogs are nice .... please re read what I said. I said that they have better flashy websites but their dogs are horrible .... their websites are ghetto but the website is better made than some of these breeders using free website designs

American bullys does not = amstaffs ? If you think so :banghead:

I don't think your being stuck up , I just don't think you are getting what I am saying ...... you can have a fancy website with good info and still have crappy dogs. for you to base a breeder on his or her website is IMO retarded lol seriously I have met many breeders who I would consider getting a dog from and they do not have a website or have a crappy one.

There is a top breeder in my area and her website has nothing really on it ? Her dog was in the top 25 poodles in 2006 and she is a nice informed person about the breed........ Her webiste would not stop me from getting a dog from her.

· Registered
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Oh Roxy,

I most definatly agree about you looking for the color you like and then go from there. We all look for the color we would prefer from a breeder. Ecspecially with Poodle's you never know what will pop out.

Its kind of like Amstaffs....my husband and I prefer red and white dogs but if a fawn and white pup is the best dog in that litter then we seriously would consider it. Thats all Im getting at. lol

Oh, and Im not in the market for an Amstaff in case it came out like that. I still love the breed and there are some beautiful dogs that I would take a pup from but I just can't justify breeding Amstaffs. The way the breed population is at this point is just aweful. I really don't see it improving in the future which is very sad. Poor bully's!
I agree when i was looking into getting a APBT I wanted a black one simply because you don't see all black apbt too often. I based my choice on bloodlines , temperment , health etc... When I get into my own house I will get me a boudreaux dog or a dog off gambler's virgil bloodline. I found other dogs that where not black that I would take in a heart beat. I found a breeder who had red nose dogs and they seemed to fit what i was looking for.

Yeah poor amstaffs I don't think anyone will get back on track with this breed.

· Registered
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 · (Edited)
LOL ..... Im not refering the American bully comment. You said on a message to me that you couldn't find a nice Amstaff and you prefer the ADBA registered type APBT's. An American bully would "IMO" mean ANY american bully breed.

I realize we have difference of opinion on what is acceptable in our eyes when deciding on purchasing a dog. I still stick behind what I said about the what you can tell off a website. I know there are some situations where there is an exception. However, for the most part you can tell a great deal just from the advertisement through a site.

You seriously can't tell me that you haven't pulled up certain websites and said to yourself what a bad site! Come on now Roxy. lol

When I am talking about american bully's I mean this http://www.abkcdogs.org/ they are consider a seperate breed. I don't lump all pit bull type dogs in one category. I would never call an amstaff an american bully nor a apbt nor a staffy or a bull terrier .....

yes I seen bad websites but i can care less about the website. I find a lot of top breeders have HORRIBLE WEBSITES . I guess you think a good website has no pictures or updated events for the kennel etc..., its fine and dandy they have info about the breed and health testing but I came to the website for pictures and current wins or updated litters etc.... I know some breeders who never update and their sites , they are sooooooo old and they have decline in the quality of dogs they bred. there are breeders older than me that can not make web pages like Chickychat stated. I am 24 and I can't even make a website !

How do you think people found good breeders before the internet ? LOL

· Registered
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
anyways :focus:

My sister just got off the phone with Terry farley , He gave her some great info , I wish there where more breeders like him who love to teach and mentor newbies. He told my sister that there are true red dogs but they are rare. He said he has a 13 year old bitch that is still red. He also gave use names of some people in our area to contact for help. Most have apricot and red standard poodles so they will not be so bias towards us.

we sent him pictures of Enzo and he said he looks pretty good so far , he wants pictures of his face and more of him stacking ( which he is still a long way from doing properly lol)

· Registered
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·

· Registered
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Just ask him if he thinks triggers puppies will fade, being bred to an apricot dd gene female. And is this the 'true red' he is talking about?
I will see what he says , I will ask what age do the dogs fade. I read some fade within a year but I think it depends on the bloolines etc...

I will see if he can send me pictures of his 13 year girl. Since he is really nice maybe I will get a puppy for him when he has his next litter. He told my sister he keeps showing his dog's even when they are 7 years of age! He seems to be one of the few breeders I came across that truely show for fun and a challenge.

I had a question on Blue pood;es. Are they a blue color like a weimraner or are they dark like black blue ?

· Registered
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
I was implying that most good breeder's that have a website want it to represent there dogs as well as they do. .
I agree but some breeders do not spend much time online so again if they have a bad website who cares ........ Thats almost like judging someone based on what type of car they have ..... IMO

I really don't care if you get a dog from bad breeder or good one. Thats all you. I simply made a comment that you can tell a lot from a website.
Yes you simply made a comment I don't agree with and does not make sense to me.

I won't be getting a dog from a bad breeder .... Like I stated in my hello thread , I been into dogs for most of my life .... I think I know where to find a good breeder. Poodles are just new to me but that does not mean I don't know where to find a quality breeder. This is why I CONTACTED Terry Farley .... :tongue:

· Registered
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
Weimeraners are not blue they are a dilute liver called Isabella. Most Blue poodles are dark blue like this dog , or this like a gun metel color.
Thanks Purple poodle ! , I asked because I been looking at some breeders website and they said they have blue but I would see dogs like this on different webiste http://avalonpoodles.tripod.com/ but they did not list what color the dog is so I thought this was blue. On the link provide they have it listed as silver I thought silver where much lighter.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.