Poodle Forum banner

Another poodle !

31474 177
So I been thinking that I want my own poodle now ! so maybe when Enzo turns 6 months I will consider getting my own :D
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Registered
258 Posts
LOL I wanted to get another red poodle but I am not too fawn of the fact they fade to a apricot color :( . So maybe a silver dog ? or black dog. if i get silver at least i expect him or her to get lighter lol Or maybe a parti poodle
Roxy, not all of them fade. The fading is caused by a dd ressessive dilute gene and if the dog carries a Dd or a DD which is dominant and can't fade you will have a very nice red dog forever. I plan on having my puppies tested for the dilute gene when they are born, that way i know.

· Registered
258 Posts
Chicky Chat - Paris is Preston's brother right?
Yes!!! Paris is Preston's Sister, Preston is fading now :(
Michelle was really disappointed, but Preston's mother I"m assuming has the dd or Dd gene and Coby the father has the dd gene which will produce fading puppies 75% to 100% of the time. Michelle is almost as obsessed with her poodles as I am! We talk on the phone now and then!

· Registered
258 Posts
As soon as Paris has her puppies I'm going to have their DNA tested for the Dilute gene individually. That way I'll know if each puppy has it or not and I can advertise it that way. I want to be 100% sure before I make any promises to anyone.

· Registered
258 Posts
If you decided to make a day out of visiting standard poodles breeders in Indiana and are tempted by the blues I do know of a lady who has them as well. I think her standards are show dogs, at least the father...and she has reds, apricots, creams, browns and nice blue and sometimes silver pups. At least you know a blue or silver is going to fade, then its fun to see how much or how light they will get! LOL She has a litter right now, but no reds...very cute blue and chocolates!

http://www.vendettapoodles.com/ (web-site)
I take my dogs to vendetta poodles for grooming. Karens husband lost his battle to cancer just three days ago, so I'd give her a week or two before calling her. It is really sad.
Her dog Amos is red is a son to Preston, and brother to my Paris.

· Registered
258 Posts
Have you ever tried to find someone to do a good website for you without hiring a professional??? It's nearly impossible. I have tried and tried and everyone says they will do one for you, but they NEVER end up doing one, or helping. I eventually had to learn myself and I'm still not good at it. I'm trying though.

http://www.luckypoodle.com

If you do hire a professional to do it , plan on paying thousands of dollars.
You really can't judge someones quality of dogs on their website. I've seen dogs with many championships at shows whose owners beg me to make them a website... HA... I'm struggling enough on my own.

· Registered
258 Posts
Don't forget PurplePoodle. you are 22 years old, the same age as my Daughter. You grew up with computers in your life and Me being 47 didn't even learn to turn one on until I was 37. My husband still can't turn off the screen saver but he can build a 20 million dollar intersection and road from scratch. It isn't as easy even to do a free site as you think. Plus being our age half of us can't rememeber from one time to the next what we learned on the PC last time we turned it on.
I'm very computer literate now but I still couldn't design a banner like yours if my life depended on it.

But, I did finally put mine online two months ago and have 850 hits already. I think this would have been impossible if I'd used a free website to build it.
I do have a professional designing a new banner for me now, but it's costing me many dog biscuits to do it.
I mean no disrespect to you being 22, but as we age we may gain valuable knowledge as a breeder, but we can be stupid as heck when it comes to building even a free website with a templet.

· Registered
258 Posts
I use netfirms as a web host and it works well. They have a program you can download and use to build it or you can just buy the domain thru them for like 7 dollars a year. You can set the domain to point to your free site.
I am new to breeding actually and I wont mind admitting it. I have some fantastic mentors that I work with and I have researched for 3 year now, long before I even bought my first standard. We worked hard together to get her Delta Therapy Dog Certification by the time she was a year and 4 days old! I searched for two years to find Trigger to breed Paris to, and went first for conformation and color, I searched for the DD gene so that the puppies couldn't fade. I next went for Temperament and pedigree. Triggers Pedigree is FULL of champions, both American and Russian. He is still young and hasn't been shown, he had a veterinary procedure that was done when he wasn't quite out and made him afraid of people. He is a darling dog but skittish at first of strangers, so he can't be shown yet until he overcomes this. He will be going for hunt titles soon. Paris has many champions in her pedigree too, but I haven't ever shown a dog yet, and I don't think I have the backbone to take criticism like some others do. If we do get a great potential show dog I will keep it. There will be an AKC judge coming to my house at 8 weeks old to grade my puppies for show potential. Any other of my dogs will be sold as a Pet with a spay or neuter contract.
I did get an email a few days ago from a AKC, judge asking about my puppies. Word sure travels fast in the poodle world.
My website is only in the beginning stages, I hope to build it through experience as time goes on. I do put my heart and soul into this. I did have a litter of poodles 11 years ago which worked out well. Only 2 pups.

· Registered
258 Posts
anyways :focus:

My sister just got off the phone with Terry farley , He gave her some great info , I wish there where more breeders like him who love to teach and mentor newbies. He told my sister that there are true red dogs but they are rare. He said he has a 13 year old bitch that is still red. He also gave use names of some people in our area to contact for help. Most have apricot and red standard poodles so they will not be so bias towards us.

we sent him pictures of Enzo and he said he looks pretty good so far , he wants pictures of his face and more of him stacking ( which he is still a long way from doing properly lol)
Roxy, Do me a favor please and ask him about this dog, http://www.harmonyhuntingpudels.com/Trigger.html Trigger. And about her breeding. CH Farleys D I Am Marcello is triggers great grandfather.
This is my puppies daddy.

· Registered
258 Posts
Susan Cook from Marquis Diamond Standard Poodles and Harmony Mountain Hunting Pudels (where I bred Paris with Trigger, are co-breeders!)

Paris and Triggers pups wont fade! That picture you posted is the same color as Trigger.

· Registered
258 Posts
Susan's actually there now at a show. I have been talking to Brian Cook a little now (emailing). He seems very nice and I can't wait to speak with Susan as well. Somewhere I noticed that Sting and atleast one of the the Poodle's from Harmony Mountain go back to the same pedigree. I don't recall what dog of Harmony's it was. I feel like Im getting on the right track, breeder wise, and Im glad to know that you had a very postive experience with Harmony Mountain as well.
haha. I talked to Lori yesterday and Susan had her motorhome parked in her driveway! lol

I met ALLL of the Harmony Poodles at one time in their livingroom. I was being licked all over by 9 standard poodles at once! I was in heaven!

· Registered
258 Posts
The following information was authored by VetGen, who first established DNA testing for coat color.

"any breeding which produces both Brown or Cream, White, Apricot or red, has the potential to produce brown nosed cream, white, apricot or red. If the breeding does not have the potential to produce blacks, only cream, white, apricot, red and brown, all cream, white, apricot and red will have brown noses."
Brown nose is what you are all referring to as liver noses.

· Registered
258 Posts
It is true about the reds all being apricot, but different shades, some affected by the dilute gene and others not. Even a deep deep red is in fact an apricot, as is a cream or a white, according to DNA, but the tips ie nose skin lips pads of feet, are liver OR black. they can have either. If you mix a brown dog with an apricot dog you can get the wrong color tips to go with a different color dog. normally if the red (apricot) dog is bred to a brown the tips have a chance of being the wrong color, liver on apricot, which is a major fault for AKC conformation.
Everything I try to say here I can back up with quotes among quotes from the poodle DNA books. Unless I'm not typing clearly what I'm thinking.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.