Poodle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, thanks for all the help last time, got the tail biting under control with all the helpful advice from the members here. I have a large toy, Bella, and she is such a social dog, LOVES to play and loves other dogs.

I have been worried about leaving her whilst I am at work. She can go outside for the toilet and she`s never left for too long but I think she gets lonely. She can be very destructive while I am out, chews things to pieces etc so I am thinking of getting another poodle to be a companion for her and am looking for some advice. She is a 16 month old neutered bitch.

1. Is this a good idea?

2. I was thinking of getting an older dog rather than another pup, there are always dogs here looking for homes. Opinions?

3. Would it be better to get a male or a female?

4. She is a large, energetic toy, try and get the same? Or will a miniature or

5. Any other advice?

Thanks guys! :)

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
I think it's a good idea, and the fact that you would be giving a home to an older dog makes it even better. Personally, I would probably get a dog close to Bella's size, and I would probably look for a (neutered) male. I think you would probably have fewer issues of territory with a male-female combo than trying to introduce an older female into Bella's house. Not saying a female-female pairing would not work, just saying the other way is less likely to create tension (in my amateur experience). As for temperament, I would look for a dog that was well-balanced and not highly excitable. I would try to get a dog who could keep up with your pup in terms of playing (in other words, don't get a bassett hound - LOL).

I think pets always do better in twos.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I think it can be a great idea, as someone who has a multiple dog household I can tell you it's great that the dogs can entertain themselves and such sometimes.

They still need one on one attention and exercise but they love playing with eachother.

But..just as they will entertain and play together two dogs can also be destructive together. One of mine wont chew anything, unless i leave the room and they are both in there together then playing tug o war with my t hrow pillows just seems like the thing to do.

Sometimes bringing in another dog can make the first one do things she wasnt before, accidents, chewing, barking, etc...

So while you consider the positive things from two dogs also remember the negative, it can be a lot of work having 2+ dogs..

However once you get past three it's pretty much just another food bowl..lol! (well not that easy)

Good luck!

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
I think its a fantastic idea. I agree with some other posters ^^^ Simialar size might be best - Nothing too much bigger then your toy, they are easily hurt. M/F? I dont think I see an issue with that, but Aiden has some great points - I would consider crating for a while so you can determine how they will act in the home....together because this can change everything lol! Then you would revisit some of your training with BOTH dogs. :) FUN

I just had a woman talking to me about her doodles - he is 4 and he now has a roomie - and they tore up an entire pack of potty pads while she was at work! She said the house was streaming with blue and white. (It was funny while she was telling it) Both yorkies.

I cannot wait to hear what you do - I SAY GO FOR IT!!

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Oh I had no idea what I was in for when I added Vega to the household. Pandora, my German Shepherd was a great house dog. I could leave her inside when I went to work and she wouldn't chew or have an accident or anything. When I got Vega he stayed crated for awhile obviously but one day I left the room for JUST A SECOND and I had these really really nice feather throw pillows...

needless to say I came back into that room and found a huge mess..feathers EVERYWHERE.

I just finished packing and moving my stuff to Charlotte NC and I still found feathers under furniture and rugs..lol!

That was before I even brought Dodger home. Although, I wouldn't trade it for the world. I have such a good time with all my dogs that the little things don't bother me too much.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts