Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
So my hubby and I are thinking of getting a second dog at some point. It would be at least a year but we both agree we鈥檇 like another. Researched so many breeds and we have some favorites but we just keep coming back to a Spoo as being the best fit for us and for Bobby. 馃榿 I wouldn鈥檛 mind a mini but thinking a smallish girl Spoo might be better as I would want them to be matched to some degree physically. So wondering what you all think. I will take any thoughts and feedback. 馃槉

Super Moderator
I was researching this topic for a while last night, and this article hits some solid, thought-provoking points:

It's well worth a full read.

We were thinking somewhere between the ages of 3 and 5 would be a good time to add a second dog, and that article confirms it. But I'm not confident Peggy would be happy in a two-dog household, especially with the almost total lack of exposure she's had to other dogs in our home thanks to covid. My last girl by this time had spent loads of time with my parents' dogs and other family dogs, at her home and at their homes.

It seems like starting with a male would have been a good idea, too. At least you've got that covered!

Registered
I think you should go for it when you guys are ready. What are your plans for the next few years? I was planning on getting Sisko a playmate in the next 2 years, but with a change in career plans it looks more like 6-7 years, but I will have everything set up the way I want it. Keep us posted!

Registered
You'll have time to re-socialize your dogs [oh, I so hope so anyway!]. I think that most of us are going to have to do that.

Once life is a bit freer perhaps walks with other dogs and play visits will help you see how your dog copes. Normie still cries when he sees other dogs and can't understand why no one has time for him. We have work to do next year.

Registered
It's fascinating to me how poodle owners seem to be drawn to sight hounds. I can't think of a single person who owns an afghan hound that doesn't also own a poodle- in my little world, that is.

Personally, I would like to meet a silken windhound to see if they are as amazing as I've heard.

Registered
I think a 2nd dog in the household would work out well, once you have your first dog trained as you would like too. Just makes it easier when training a 2nd. I've always been a multiple dog household, 3-4 at any given time, not always by choice but circumstance. A few years back I had a foster with 4 newborn pups while having 4 of my own. Now that was a bit crazy but it worked out well. I never gave it much thought but she was a poodle or a mix that closely resembled a poodle. We are now back up to 3 in the house. Though my poodle isn't crazy for other dogs he has no problem with those who stay in our house. Its a whole different scene. So Peggys mom don't be afraid to add another even though Peggy isn't getting that socialization outside the home. I always keep them separate for the first month or two which is fairly easy as the baby is crated or penned and has limited exposure to the older dog. That way the older dog gets use to them being in the house and eventually they just blend. (though often it doesn't work out with 2 females) but males are pretty easy.

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
I was researching this topic for a while last night, and this article hits some solid, thought-provoking points:

It's well worth a full read.

We were thinking somewhere between the ages of 3 and 5 would be a good time to add a second dog, and that article confirms it. But I'm not confident Peggy would be happy in a two-dog household, especially with the almost total lack of exposure she's had to other dogs in our home thanks to covid. My last girl by this time had spent loads of time with my parents' dogs and other family dogs, at her home and at their homes.

It seems like starting with a male would have been a good idea, too. At least you've got that covered!
Excellent article PTP! Great information and encouraging too! Based on what I read a smaller female Spoo just may be perfect! Interesting reading about terriers too. When we choose dogs we talk and talk and talk as we like to be in total agreement. We can talk names for days! 馃槀I love the greyhounds and whippets and similar sorts of dogs and my husband loves the larger, scruffy
terrier types such as Airedales. We both love poodles.馃槉 Makes sense, does it not? That lean poodle body covered with thick, touchable hair.
Thank you sharing such an interesting article.

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
It's fascinating to me how poodle owners seem to be drawn to sight hounds. I can't think of a single person who owns an afghan hound that doesn't also own a poodle- in my little world, that is.

Personally, I would like to meet a silken windhound to see if they are as amazing as I've heard.
I鈥檝e always adored greyhounds but sadly, my husband wants nothing to do with them. 馃槈 See my previous post.

Registered
terrier types such as Airedales. We both love poodles.馃槉 Makes sense, does it not? That lean poodle body covered with thick, touchable hair.
I was close to getting an Airedale terrier instead of Phoebe my spoo! My list was Afghan hound, Airedale terrier, and standard Poodle ultimately happy with my choice.

Not sure how I will ever get another breed as I鈥檓 in love with poodles but I think It would be fun to experience a range of breeds as well.

Registered
We just got our Spoo puppy 2 weeks ago. She is our first poodle. We're already hooked!

My brother had 2 Italian greyhounds and they would run away from him. I just remember him asking for help all the time to track them down in town. They were emotional wrecks too. I realize a lot has to do with training and how they are cared for, but I'd take a Spoo any day!

Excited for you, no matter what you decide.

Premium Member
We have three dogs, a GSD and two spoos. The older dogs are 12 and soon to be 12. The youngster is 5. Lily my older female spoo would never have tolerated another bitch in the house. There would have been death match level fights. My younger poodle therefore is a male. The GSD is also a male and they are both intact. Lily is spayed. Both males defer to her. The two males don't care for each other very much but it has nothing to do with any sort of competition for Lily since as I said she is always defered to by each of them. We have to keep them separated when unsupervised. We have a very manageable plan with a house and yard well suited to the dynamics of their relationships. And since for the foreseeable future I will continue to work from home they all get one on one time with me as well as time with each other in varying combinations. There are moments though where it can be complicated and I could wish for at least one less of them.

Adding a dog into one's home with one or more other dogs take careful planning and work not just when teh new one arrives but as all of the dogs go through the full life spectrum of their maturation and aging. Javelin played well with both older dogs when he was a pup and he was an especially great companion for Lily as Peeves (the GSD) started to feel his age and developed some arthritis. She could not seem to understand that he wasn't going to chase her around the yard anymore. Now I have that situation between Javelin and Lily. She still plays with him, but the play sessions end on her side sooner than they used to and sooner than he would like. The answer most certainly is not to add yet another dog since I think Peeves deserves to not have to endure the antics of another puppy with his stiff joints.

One thing to remember is that adding a dog multiplies the numbers and types of social interactions. You have to account for each person's relationship with each individual dog, each person's relationships with combinations of dogs as well as accounting for each dog's individual relationship with each other dog and potentially if there are three or more how varying combinations of groups of dogs relate to each other. As to dogs vs. bitches I personally would not have more than one bitch since if they don't tolerate each other they are likely to be very willing to really damage each other. I think two males can be fine since they are more likely to posture at each other until one just backs down and accepts the other dog's higher position.

I wouldn't say not to add a new dog, but just to think through the possible issues very carefully. Would you be willing to rehome one of the dogs if things didn't work well?

Registered
Newport, please, please just get a whippet. "Silken windhounds" are like "goldendoodles" - they are faddish crossbred dogs. Whippets do exceptionally well with poodles - they are active and athletic outdoors and couch potatoes indoors.

Registered
Haha, did I fall for a crossbred fad? Well, thanks for setting me straight. Friends need to help each other with inside information. It鈥檚 right up there with 鈥淗ey, you have spinach in your teeth!鈥

Talking about other breeds or new dogs is all pie-in-the-sky talk for me, but still fun. Three dogs is our limit, and we have three.

Registered
The Silken Windhound is actually a new breed much like the Alaskan Klee Kai, recognized by the UKC as such (but not by the AKC, much like other, much older real breeds that have not yet made it in. So I can see the confusion.). Breeding began in 1975, and the studbooks closed in 2000. They were accepted to the UKC in 2011. Crossbreeding is now not allowed, from what I understand. History of the Breed 鈥 ISWS

Registered
Annie would LOVE me to get another poodle. She breed recognizes poodles/poodle crosses in the dog park, and loves to visit her mom and sister.

I would prefer that unicorn, an oversized mini/small standard for the sake of room in my car. Maybe when Annie is 5 or so, as I couldnt put Trixie through the stress of 'ANOTHER stupid poodle puppy', and not before i own my own house, not living in an apartment or with family. Responsibility sucks.

As for the male dog female dog thing, i have often lived in multiple female dog households, and almost never had an issue. There was one issue with a rehome we took in and had to give back, but, i blamed it on the rehome, not gender, who came to us with undisclosed resource guarding issues (resource guarding of humans from other dogs that was well known but not mentioned to us, and quickly escalated as the dog settled in to trying to kill the other dog in the house).

1 - 20 of 25 Posts