Poodle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few days ago, I stumbled on this old post from the late Dr. Sophia Yin. Love her stuff, but the website can be hard to navigate.

Anyway- the game is teaching the dog to repeatedly, without a command, sit in front of you, and look at you, as you wander around the room, walk backwards, etc. This then progresses to teaching the dog to leave it with a treat - dog ends up glancing at the thrown treat, getting rewarded, then being allowed to get the treat (premack), really strongly reinforcing looking at you. If the dog gets distracted, you can back up a few paces, and dog will come to front again.

I struggle with "LAT"( LOOK AT THAT), but this was really fast for Annie to learn. I have even successfully used it to distract her on walks where a dog is barking at us, which is pretty impressive for a new behaviour.

Elsewhere Dr. Yin has a whole series on how to use this to walk past something your dog is reacting to.

It has also been great for Trixie, whose response to "come get your leash on" is to hide in a safe corner. Repetitively getting her to follow me around and come to my front is a great exercise for her too.

Anyway, hope it helps someone else too, I am enjoying it.

·
Super Moderator
Peggy Sue, Standard Poodle Born May 2019
8,791 Posts
Love Dr. Yin and heartbroken that she's no longer on this earth with us.

Our trainer (back when classes were still a thing) would sometimes send us her videos for homework. The "speed treating" principle was a revelation for us. As a reward for automatic sitting, it cut Peggy's jumping in half overnight:

Thinking about your other thread, about how to be adequately enthusiastic for effective training, I think Dr. Yin is a brilliant example of how you can keep your energy steady and authentic while still being engaging. I find her mesmerizing. I bet Peggy would have fallen head over heels in love with her.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts