Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I saw a breeder today and she was quite knowledgeable and very open about her breeding program. She admitted to having Addison's in 2 breedings previously but spayed/neutered once the condition was found out in the dogs.

She told me that the next litter she was expecting was from a half-sibling match. She admits it seems close but that her lines are good.

Is this something to be worried about or if the lines are good should I expect a good pet out of a breeding like this. :scared:

thanks a ton everyone,
Susan

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
So I saw a breeder today and she was quite knowledgeable and very open about her breeding program. She admitted to having Addison's in 2 breedings previously but spayed/neutered once the condition was found out in the dogs.

She told me that the next litter she was expecting was from a half-sibling match. She admits it seems close but that her lines are good.

Is this something to be worried about or if the lines are good should I expect a good pet out of a breeding like this. :scared:

thanks a ton everyone,
Susan

I may have a feeling on what breeder this is pm sent :)

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
My boy's line bred/ inbred (half brother half sister) and he's all good so far! Mind you he's only 10 weeks, so there's plenty of time for things to go wrong. I was comfortable with it because while one part of the pedigree was super close, the other part was completely different. So I would certainly consider such a breeding (of course depending on what info Roxy pm'd you!)

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Cdnjennga! Your little guy is super cute and looks like he has a great personality.

It scares me a little (because what I know about human genetics) but from what I am reading animal genetics are different.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Half sibling is too close for my taste.

Also, everything I have read about line breeding says that this cross is the least effective. Most advocate doing father/daughter or Aunt/nephew breedings if you want to closely linebreed.

I would say this. If you wanted a puppy from this breeding, you would have to really, really love the parent they have in common because you will be getting a double dose of that bitch or dog.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Half sibs are too close...this is known as inbreeding, and very few breeders are doing that on purpose anymore. It's not just Addison's you're looking at here. In standards you have sebaceous adenitis, hip dysplasia, PRA, bloat and a whole lot of autoimmune problems that are felt to be caused by a lack of genetic diversity. There's no guarantee that a diverse pedigree will equal good health, but it's a great place to start.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts