Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Poppy is about a week and a half into her heat. I have noticed she is not bleeding as much as in the beginning. My question is- once the bleeding has stopped when is it safe to take her out? I ask this because at day 18 of her cycle there is a CGC test. I will not take her if there is any risk, but I don't know when the risk ends after she stops bleeding.

thanks

·
Registered
448 Posts
I've read that when the bleeding slows down is when they're most fertile. :x I could be wrong though.
No, you are not wrong. :)
You'll need to be extra careful with her for the next 10 days, I'd say. They are all different but this sounds like her first. Anything goes!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes, it is her first heat. She has an inverted vulva that I'm hoping will self correct with this heat and once the heat is complete and the swelling down she will be spayed. Is there something I should know that is different about a first heat?

Also, I have emailed the CGC instructor and she has said she could do the test on Poppy after all the other dogs have completed the test. What are your all thoughts on that?

thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
If she is ready to try for her CGC, I say go for it! It's not like they are in a ring with a bunch of other dogs. The one part of the test, when I took it, you had to walk towards another person with a dog, stop, shake hands, then continue on. This was the only time another dog was in the ring with me. So I see no issues with you going for it. It's great the instructor will let you do it once the others are done (which makes sense) as you wouldn't want a female in heat upsetting the male dogs. Good luck!!!!!!!
Fran

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I feel that my dogs are the most fertile on days 11-17. But really we all know the eggs could be hiding and the sperm could be vigorous on days BEFORE and AFTER that. I am so glad you have a very understanding, nice test person. Some can be like NO, COME DURING THE NEXT SESSION....which is 6 months from now! Well, duh, she'll probably be in heat again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts