Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We know our pup is blue. He comes from a litter with one blue, one black, and one silver. I know every dog has a different personality, but what I've read a lot of temperament comes from the color too. Do blues and silvers have a temperament more like a black, or is that a bit different like the color?

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
There have been color/temperament threads out here before... In my personal opinion color doesn't really play a huge part in temperament/personality. There are ALWAYS exceptions to every color/temperament rule you may hear and I hate to label animals because of their color (i.e., chocolate labs are nuts, calico cats are crazy, etc...)

Personality and temperament are usually a product of nature/nurture/environment, etc... not color - IMO :)

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
? We have a blue, silver, and a black and each has their own temperament but we have never noticed it to have anything to do with their color. Their temperaments have more to do with the temperaments of their parents and the environment in which they are being raised in.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
I think temperament stereotypes surrounding color come from the fact that historically color breeder too often let color (Red, Brown, Parti etc) be the deciding factor in whether or not a dog should be bred. When color is #1, things like temperament, structure, movement, coat and working style take a back seat.

Browns have the reputation of being clownish or stubborn. My Delilah is Brown, yet she has two black parents. I can see a lot of both her Mom and Dad in her. I believe genetics along with the way she has been raised, is what determines her temperament.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
I think temperament stereotypes surrounding color come from the fact that historically color breeder too often let color (Red, Brown, Parti etc) be the deciding factor in whether or not a dog should be bred. When color is #1, things like temperament, structure, movement, coat and working style take a back seat.

Browns have the reputation of being clownish or stubborn. My Delilah is Brown, yet she has two black parents. I can see a lot of both her Mom and Dad in her. I believe genetics along with the way she has been raised, is what determines her temperament.
OMG Finally someone understands what I have been trying to say about color and temps :amen:

Reds are said to be clowns too but as I said before look at the breeders that breed them. 95% are doing it for money and just breeding for color.

·
Registered
170 Posts
There are a TON of crazy brown poodles out there exactly because of what you just said Roxy. It is a rare thing to find a nice all around brown in some areas. But when you get one, its realllllllly nice!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts