Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm so excited that someone finally has the balls to go after them! I know HSUS is involved but in this case they are the less of two evils. Down w/ Petland and Hunte!

Animal Planet Investigates: Petland

TV-14

A comprehensive investigation of large-scale commercial dog breeders, known as puppy mills. Its primary target and defendant in an HSUS lawsuit: the largest puppy-selling retailer in the country, Petland.

Airs:

May 17th 10:00pm
May 18th 12:00am
May 18th 5:00am

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
Being Canadian, I do not know that much about Petland. How many pups would they produce in a year? All breeds? I don't think we get Animal Planet with our package and I boycotted them when they ran a story on Pendragon Poodles. If you see this being aired anywhere else could you please let me know? Much appreciated!

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Petland is a retail pet store that sells puppies they acquire from puppy mills. Hunte is a puppy broker that sells the puppy mill puppies to Petland. There are other middlemen involved who get puppies from mills all over the country. I guess that's how Petland can say they don't buy from puppy mills. It's a technicality.

·
Registered
781 Posts
i just marked my calendar to watch this, however, to be honest, don't know if i could. it may be too upsetting if they show the conditions the pups and the breeding dogs live in. i guess i could dvr it and then find out from those of you who watch it how upsetting it was or if they, maybe, don't exploit the conditions too much.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Being Canadian, I do not know that much about Petland. How many pups would they produce in a year? All breeds? I don't think we get Animal Planet with our package and I boycotted them when they ran a story on Pendragon Poodles. If you see this being aired anywhere else could you please let me know? Much appreciated!
I saw the pendragon show... :puke: ... I'll have to set my PVR for the Petland program. Thanks for the heads up!

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A little more info. Hunte is the biggest puppy broker in the US and exports many puppies to Canada as well. (Many sick puppies.) They have politicians in their pockets as well as people in the dog world. Not to long ago they tried to work out a deal w/ AKC where Petland would only carry AKC puppies if AKC backed them. AKC was for it until there was a huge outcry from responsible breeders and pet owners. The head of Hunte Corp is/was also a member of the national GSD club. Hunte and Petland are/were owned by members of the same family and all of the puppies Petland sells come from Hunte. Petland is one of the biggest puppystore chains in the US.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What show was Pendragon featured on? I watched the Dogs101 and don't even remember seeing a red Poodle and I know they didn't feature a Poodle breeder. I was very impressed w/ the white Poodle that seemed to be able to read. (Let's see a Border Collie do that, lol.) It's possible they filmed at Pendragon and decided not to use the footage.

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
They did an episode on Breeder of the Pack and the entire half hour was devoted to Pendragon, the fact that she is "the only breeder who uses a human incubator" for her puppies, and her annual puppy party. I wrote the station and suggested that maybe they should feature some who has been around a long time (Susan Fraser-Bibelot) who actually health tests their breeding dogs and does not participate in the juvenile spay/neuter program, and that I and some of my breeder freinds were prepared to boycott if they aired it. They got back to me and said that one of the people who works for the show bought a Pendragon puppy and was so impressed with the puppy party that they were going to go ahead. I responded that her pups are at least $1,000 more than mine, so maybe people needed to realize they are PAYING for the damned party. Anyway, I have not watched or subscribed to Animal Planet since.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
They've only ever had the white spoo on Dogs 101.

So what's the deal with Pendragon? Are they a mill or are they legit?

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
They've only ever had the white spoo on Dogs 101.

So what's the deal with Pendragon? Are they a mill or are they legit?
They are not a mill. They are legit. I personally do not like their practices, their dogs or the fact that I do not see any health testing at all mentioned on their web site. I do not agree with the early spay/neuter program. I think their puppy party is a nice idea, but think that if I charged $2,600 for a puppy from pet quality lines, when I own the sire and the dam and have limited expenses, breed really mediocre quality pups, then I could afford to put a huge bash on once a year for my puppy buyers too, particularly if I had several litters a year. If you get a chance to watch the episode which they were featured on,check it out. People are greeted at the door by about 15 scruffy, ungroomed dogs. Pups are born on their leather sofa in their livingroom, then these two day old pups are exposed to the germy feet of a TV crew, people in and out of the house from the Poodle party...I am sure there were people who watched and found the entire thing charming as all get out. It just scared the crap out of me for those pups.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
the couch...that is really gross

but on the Petland thing I'm curious about that
they aren't the brokers? and they aren't the mills themself...so they're sorta the godfather of puppy mills right?

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
I googled it too, but I can't find the actual video of it. I even checked on iTunes. Was it on very long ago?

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
I saw the pendragon show... :puke: ... I'll have to set my PVR for the Petland program. Thanks for the heads up!
OMG, where was that graphic when I was pregnant ROFL. That is the funniest thing I've seen all day.

Anyway bummer about the show, yay for the show investigating petland.

Sure wish somebody would air a show more than them buying puppies. What about the marshells ferrerts, and the small pets they carry. And don't get me started on the poor tatooed and acid dyed fish (that alot of places, not just petland carry)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts