Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This cat showed up at the barn where I ride about a year ago (I stopped riding for a year, about the time they found him and started back riding again about a month ago). They were trying to get rid of it because they didnt want it because of its tail and it smelled. The cat loved me and I tried so hard to get my parents to let us take him/her home, but they wouldnt allow it incase it had any diseases (we didnt wanna get our other kitties sick). We offered to take it the vet and have him checked out but they went off on us, yelling! I also heard from my riding instructer someone took the cat, brought it to the humain society and the people went back and GOT the cat!!!! WTF?!?!? Why would they even give the cat back?! They havnt done anything at all for the poor guy, and they say that the tail will eventually fall off, its a part of nature. I almost went off on the lady but I really didnt wanna loose my riding at the barn so I sucked it up. I feel so bad for the poor thing, it smells terrible, its tail is dieing and rotting away. No one will touch him and hes craving attention so I go over and cuddle with the stinky fellow...he LOVES me he come meowing when he hears me come in the barn.

Here's pictures of the poor guy...Its a 3 inch part in the middle of his tail where the skin and fur is ripped off...

I want to take him home soooo bad

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Oh he's a doll! Poor thing, why won't they let you take him to the vet?? I would just take him anyway, that's way to dangerous to leave like that. Forget them, they're letting a sweet animal suffer for no reason.

I would try to sneak him out, get a crate and bring him to the vet/humane society and warn them about the people who would try to get him back. Tell them that they leave him out with an open wound with no care, etc. I think you should take some action for this poor kitty. ): Maybe once he's all checked out and cleaned up your parents will feel better about him, or he'll get adopted. Or maybe you could take the photos in to the humane society and tell them about how they aren't taking care of him/refusing to give him treatment etc and they can do something about it.

I don't want you to lose your riding there either, though... I'm sorry you have to put up with them neglecting this poor kitty, I hope everything gets worked out.

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
That's so sad. :( My cats tail got injured like that when my 3 year old niece closed his tail in the door.. I PANICKED when I saw it and took him to the ER immediately. He was fine and they put him on antibiotics, but it still freaked me out.. And wow, does my kitty and that kitty look a lot alike. I have a huge soft spot for grey kitties, the poor guy, he must be in a lot of pain. I hope he has a better owner now.

Here's Obes tail.. he recovered quite quickly, so with a little love I'm sure your boy there did too.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Omg they do look aton alike!

I just dont know how I'd sneak him out. People have done it before but kept getting caught every time. The vets are closed on Sundays and thats when I ride and we'd have to keep him seperate from all the other animals and that would be very hard to do since he smells SO bad my parents wont let him in the house (even our cats dont live in the house, they live in the sun room and are allowed outside when its warm). I'm sitting here thinking of plans and so far none of them would work, this is so complicated! I want to call animal control on them, but I think theyd know it was me since I always tell them how sorry I feel for the kitty and I obviously love animals and all but this is the only riding barn in the area and I dont want it to get taken away. :\

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
That poor baby. :( Can you bring a friend with you when you go to your riding class? Maybe if you could get a vet tech or someone with animal first aid experience to go with you, they could at least look at him and maybe doctor him up a little. You could say they were just a friend.

Probably not a viable suggestion, but I thought I'd throw it out there anyway.

If you were closer to NYC, I know people who would go in there commando style and take the cat.

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
I know people who would go in there commando style and take the cat.
Without their underwear??? (Sorry, couldn't resist a "Friends" reference...) :)

I hope you can work something out, Michelle, even if it's only having someone knowledgeable about pet first aid to come out with you sometime and clean it up a bit.

I'm my mother's "go-to" girl when one of her cats gets bit by one of her other cats (happens about once every couple of years.) I keep injectable penicillin in my refrigerator and do what I can to help her kitty when she gets an infected bite. Hopefully you can find someone to help! Let us know what happens!

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Michelle, if you can't get the cat physically out of there, I would take several good quality photos of the injury and your info about the people and their treatment toward the cat to the vet or humane society or some sort of higher authority.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts