Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My kids and I went to the local animal controll to look at cats. My daughter REALLY thinks we need a new adult kitty. We looked at the cats but none of them spoke her name, and because I love to torture myself we looked at the dogs. In one of the kennels was a young "goldendoodle." She was tan colored with a liver nose and a pretty nasty coat. I didn't spend to much time looking at her and we left.

I spent the evening and the next morning thinking about her, for some reason she had stuck in my head. Something about her eyes and the way she moved told me that she was NOT a doodle. I went back that afternoon and was allowed to play with her in the small yard. That girl was all spoo, at least mostly, but a very odd color. Kind of like dirt. I sat there forever and decided I couldn't leave her there one more day as she had already been there for 2 weeks.

I adopted her, gave her a bath and clipped her fft. She is not tan. She is a white and silver beige(?) parti girl. I don't know how to explain it. On her skin where her few spots are it is brown/liver, but the actual hair looks dark tan or very dark cream. Her face, feet, and tummy are pink and brown/liver spotted like a dalmation. Her pads are also pink with tiny brown spots, has a light liver nose, dark eyes, and white nails (well, right now they are hot pink, lol). She has a super cottony thick coat which is probably going to be a bear when she goes through the change.

I am still not completely sure if we will be keeping her or not. Merc and Jup love her. She is pretty laid back, but I am thinking she has a stubborn streak. She is great with the kids, cats, yorkie, and shar pei as well. Animal controll said she is 1 but I doubt she can be over 5 months old because she looks like she has a mouth half full of adult teeth and half baby teeth. She has a baby poodle coat too. She is fixed, still a bit puckered there, and microchipped. We have named her Ambrosia.

Has anyone ever heard of a poodle colored like she is? She is certainly unique looking. If she didn't have the spoo personality, coat and build (although she is a bit chubby) I would wonder if she really is all spoo.

I don't have a working camera right now but will borrow someone's and post some sunday. Sorry for the long wait for photos.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Um, you need to update your profile under you avatar. This is number 5 right? I can't wait to see pics, she sounds beautiful and I'm so happy you saved her. Even if you don't keep her, being groomed and in a home setting will improve her chances. If I were you, I think I'd stay away from the shelter for while, lol.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
without pics I can't comment on her colouring, so we'll just have to wait! lol! But good on you taking her in, even if just to foster her out to a great home. :)

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Um, you need to update your profile under you avatar. This is number 5 right? I can't wait to see pics, she sounds beautiful and I'm so happy you saved her. Even if you don't keep her, being groomed and in a home setting will improve her chances. If I were you, I think I'd stay away from the shelter for while, lol.
Wow, 5. It doesn't feel like as many as that sounds. We seem to have the perfect canine family dynamics and so far everything runs smoothly. I need to get the boys fixed though to keep it that way. This is the second spoo Ive ever heard of at animal controll in the last 15 years as they are rather rare around here. I think I was just lucky to go when I did, but no, Im done adding to the canine family for at least 5+ years even if I don't end up keeping Ambrosia. After 5 more years my youngest will be 10 so I may be able to start thinking about a show prospect then.

I'd forgotten completely about updating my avatar info but just did that now :)

·
Super Moderator
2,956 Posts
Wow!! This sounds like something *I* would do, too!! My hubby and I have 3 dogs and our grown daughter lives at home with her 1 spoo so we have 4 of our own at home; but I'm almost constantly babysitting or fostering a 5th (sometimes a 6th, 7th or 8th dependng on the situation!) It's never very long-term though although we did have a momma dachshund and her 5 puppies which raised our pack number to 10 for 2 months...

Thank you for saving her - and as Harley said you are definitely improving her chances of finding a forever home (unless you decide to keep her!) because she'll have the experience of learning house manners and living with a family. It sounds like you truly found a diamond in the rough!! Congratulations!!!! (And borrow that damn camera already, will ya???) :lol:

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I would have done the same thing. She sounds stunning....and yes she probably is a parti....very light markings but I have seen partis that are almost solid creams but when you look at them, you see patches of white agains patches of cream.....yours sounds very nice. Isn't it ashame that she sat in there for 2 weeks? No one except you recognized her beauty and saw her for what she really is. She might end up being your very most favorite and you might have her in bed tonight.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Good for you for saving this sweet girl.....even if she is a little stubborn.

Totally a guess on my part, and without seeing pictures, probably not a very good one. I just wonder if she could have a brindle pattern? I don't know. It's hard for me to picture from your description.

Can't wait to see pictures.

·
Registered
875 Posts
awwwww congratulations.
we went to our local shelter last week, to see if they had any birds (my husband is dying for a parakeet for some stupid reason) they didnt have any, but we did get a "Clearance Cat"

Already altered animals are only 18 dollars to adopt here, and that pays for their rabies vaccine, microchip and liscence.

we got a huge fat black cat, and we named him Six, because we now have 6 cats bwa hahaha

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
The very reason I never went to any shelter : (.

First - I would not be able to go out without adopting multiple animals ( and I can not do that due to allergies ) - and even if somebody dragged me out empty-handed - I would not be able to sleep thinking about all of those poor animals for many, many nights... : (((

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I got some photos, but they were all pretty much taken while she was asleep so you can't see how beautiful she really is. I had to trim her topnot unfortunately but I hope I didn't ruin it too badly. Fot some reason her not white places looks more orange than she is in real life, she has a more dusty color to her spots, less orange. Perhaps it's because the room they were taken in has goldenrod walls? Her skin where the spots are is the same color as the spots on her belly and face. I took some with my camera today and will upload those in a few. I think she is a beauty even if I don't know what to call her odd coloring. If she were bald I would say her spots on her skin took just look like some chinese cresteds Ive seen.

Attachments

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here are the photos I took with my phone. Please ignore our nasty muddy front yard etc. Ambrosia is a bit muddy in the photos as well, but still beautiful in my opinion.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
She looks full spoo to me too, though I've never seen a "doodle" w/ a shaved face. She doesn't have a golden or lab head at all. She is very pretty, any update on her status? Is she still a foster?

You should send a pic to the shelter. When I took Bailey back to finalize the paperwork, they didn't believe it was the same dog.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
My girl Keisha was HORRIBLE too...but she cleaned up so nicely, has gained weight and her coat is so nice. Mine was GREY, it was so filthy and kept outside in a dog house and a chain. She turned into the sweetest dog. The first picture is the day I brought her home and bathed her. Poor thing all she did was sleep. I think the house warmth and soft couches made her so happy. The other picture shows how happy she is. I took her to a big pet fair and advertised my vet Alpine Trail Vet Clinic. Their logo is the pine tree and the sun....on the other side is the vet medical symbol of a snake wound around a V with a cross. She has a nice life now. I found her advertised at a local hardware store on the side of a COKE machine.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
here is her other side. She stands so still while I work on her. Does anyone else do creative grooming? Did you see the winners in Pasadena? Wow! My friend Lori Craig WON 1st prize with her dog Falcor groomed at a Lion. I can't hold a candle to her. She is so amazing.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 33 Posts