Poodle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This afternoon I took Fly to the vet's to get her updated on her rabies vaccine. I made the mistake of taking her to the Banfield clinic at the Petsmart (it's super close to my house so I thought why not?). Everything was going fine until they asked what she was eating. I told them she was on a raw diet. She wasn't familiar with this and I tried to explain further that it was also called the prey model diet or BARF. Then she proceeded to rip me a new one on how this is going to effect Fly's growth, digestion and coat in negative ways. Then she proceeded to recommend Eukanuba (several times she suggested this). Then she told me to give Fly two adult benadryl to deal with the allergies. I was pretty angry at this point. I then asked her at the end of the visit "So, is my dog in good health?"...the vet's reaction was "yeah, she looks great, and her teeth look amazing". I responded "I attribute this to her raw diet". Then I left. I felt they treated me like an idiot. It's not like I throw my dog a chicken leg and call it good. I have done some hefty research and figured out her protein/nutrient needs and do my VERY BEST to meet them. UGH. I'm going to look for a different Vet. I wish there was some kind of natural/holistic vet in my area. I'm going to begin my search.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Well it is coming from Banfield so.......:rolffleyes:that being said, no Vet or anyone else would rip me unless I deserved it and even still you better have a better bedside manors and have a good debate as to why I should feed that crap food she recommended and at the price I am paying you. (~~Ok off my rant~~) I had a butcher try to do something similar yesterday, only he thought raw was great for the dogs but felt I should pay outrageous prices he was offering. Basically saying Walmart and grocery meats are not edible LMAO!

I sware a lot of Vets just are not up on feeding the right foods, mine is not either but Raw is an alternative that he has spoke about so for that I am glad, although he does not know that I am doing Raw that will be next trip. :eek:hwell:

I feel the same as you, you did our homework and clearly made the best decision you feel best for your dog, so they should take that and smoke it, right?!!! :scared::)

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lol. Thanks Olie.

I figured they wouldn't be supportive of my decicion to feed raw. But I didn't think they would be so condiscending. I worked at a Petco in the past and I know that Iams and Eukanuba are owned by the same company. I also know that Vet's just like Doctors are paid by certain food companies to reccomend certain foods. I have been a diabetic for 12 years and ran out of medical insurance last year as I was no longer a student. It took me ten+ years and a stay in the hostpital to learn that I could get insulin over the counter. No doc ever told me that. I'm pretty sure they are ran the same way. Either way I will continue to do what I feel is best for my Poodle. :)

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
It's disappointing people's first reaction is to get angry when they 'think' they know better. I've been caught in that fallacy a few times myself. Now I always try to 'seek to understand'. I don't necessarily agree with the other person, but I try to figure out why they think the way they do.

If she started with that approach, I think she would have been very interested to learn more about raw feeding. The fact that she has never heard about it and has no intent to learn something new, I would move on to a vet that would at the very least hear me out. My vet was fine with it, but the tech was all freaked out. "Oh! You're not supposed to feed them chicken bones!"

Rather than disagree with her, I just let it go. I just don't waste my energy and time on some people. I figure she will talk to the other people in the office and be more open to learn about raw feeding on more neutral ground.

There may come a time when I find that my vet isn't consistent with my views of preventative health. At that point, I will find a new one. Right now they have a note that Zulee is on a 'special' diet.

It's too bad you had to experience this. You are a fantastic Mom! I would also say that you are a lot more informed than that 'vet'!

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
BFF. You're right. I wasn't so upset that she disagreed with what I was feeding her it was more so the way she expressed it towards me. She treated me like I was an ignorant idiot. Even after explaining to her.....But I'm just going to move on and find a new vet that I am happy with. I'm glad I have all of you on the forum to give me support with the raw feeding. =]

·
Registered
4 Posts
I figure if you research what is best for your dog, you take away from that what you will. In my experiences with dogs; a taste for blood makes them more aggressive.
I have always asked a lot of quesions; and I am always looking and asking for the most econimical way to pay for services; such as vet costs and the cost per vaccine, etc.
I assume from it taking you ten plus years to learn you could get meds without seeing your doctor, you are open to learning now. Asking quesitons and advice is only for those who actually want the advice. In general I trust my vet wants what is best for my dog, and the food I make for mine can in no way surpass the nutritional values posted directly on the cans or bags of food. People in the 1940's fed their dogs themselves and so will I. The prices of the foods the vet's reccommend is too high. I am careful how my dogs eat, just as I am careful about what I eat. . . My dog's teeth are in great condition, (I brush their teeth.) I wouldn't allow my pooch to eat some of the treats I eat due to the content of sugar, but basically they eat when I do, and most of what I eat, and sometimes they eat better than me!

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Basically saying Walmart and grocery meats are not edible LMAO! QUOTE]

You would be totally SHOCKED and the butcher is 100% correct. Do a little search under "factory farming" and see what you come up with. This is USDA gov't inspected human grade meat we are talking about....the main buyers of this meat are the groceries and wal-marts of america.

I eat wal-mart meat and grocery store meat....but I also have a very close friend who has worked her entire adult life in a retail meat market/slaughterhouse. She told me how picky they are when it comes to selecting cattle and hogs for sale in their shop. It has to be from a home raised farm situation with no antibiotics and steroids....all grain and hay fed animals that are humanely slaughtered and bled out. Its the same difference as Kibbles and Bits VS Orijen kibble....no comparison in quality.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Maxwell, I have wondered about aggression and raw feeding. But I'm not too concerned with it as I haven't seen any signs of aggression. I'm am 100% open to learning and taking advice and I'm sure the Vet wasn't the devil in disguise, and she probably want's the best for my dog too. As long as my dog's healthy, I'm happy.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
In my experiences with dogs; a taste for blood makes them more aggressive.
LOL!! Dont tell that to my therapy poodle who eats raw! Complete wives tale!
I have no problem buying grocery store meat for my dog that is not organic. I dont eat organic either. I had trouble with some walmart chicken once that someone gave me. I refuse to shop in walmart, so he doesnt eat their meat. :) Anyways, i figure store bough human meat is still far better then the quality of meat that goes into pet food (even the good kinds). I dont feel gulity in the least.

Im sorry you had a bad experience. I have never been in a bainfield as we dont have one, but i have Never heard good things about them. At my clinic, we try and keep an open mind about most things. I have given my staff (including doctors) a speech about raw diets, so everyone is really good about it. We even hand out a list of good quality foods to feed to clients. If our recomendations on health and vaccines differ from our clients then we talk about it to them. I truely hope a client never leaves us because they never gave us a chance to discuss the differences we have on matters.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Basically saying Walmart and grocery meats are not edible LMAO! QUOTE]

You would be totally SHOCKED and the butcher is 100% correct. Do a little search under "factory farming" and see what you come up with. This is USDA gov't inspected human grade meat we are talking about....the main buyers of this meat are the groceries and wal-marts of america.

I eat wal-mart meat and grocery store meat....but I also have a very close friend who has worked her entire adult life in a retail meat market/slaughterhouse. She told me how picky they are when it comes to selecting cattle and hogs for sale in their shop. It has to be from a home raised farm situation with no antibiotics and steroids....all grain and hay fed animals that are humanely slaughtered and bled out. Its the same difference as Kibbles and Bits VS Orijen kibble....no comparison in quality.
...It really is a choice to buy as you are saying, I am well aware of the quality of meats butchers sell, I am from Farm country PA myself, I was looking for the extras that they do not sell, NOT trying to wheel and deal with what they place in their case displays lol - even still he was trying to sell me things that I felt were way to high priced, period for a PMD. And as you know most butchers (real ones) do BUTCHER their animals - these people were in a high end area and as I said trimming fat off meat, thats it.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Feeding raw does not make them aggressive, thats rediculous to think that IMO. Food aggression is a totally different thing and a dog will and can be aggressive with kibble and then if yous witch them to raw he will also be aggressive with that too. Its a problem with behavior not caused from the food its fed.

Im sorry you had to deal witha rude inconsiderate vet. I would always just tell them its a special diet and thats all....they dont really even need to know what a dog is being fed if they are just doing shots. I tell them Orijen and i get the same response if i say Iams....they just want to sway you to their crap food.

Stick to your guns because your totally right about the raw feeding and your dog is reeping all the benefits from it.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Those who aren't familiar with raw feeding, always seem to have SOME type of argument against it!!! Blood-thirst is the most ridiculous one of all, rofl! I've fed prey-model (the whole animal, skin, fur, organs, etc) to my beagle's and they are no more aggressive than my poodle and chihuahua's, lol.

I'm SOOOOO glad I have a vet that respects my decision even though she is opposed to feeding raw bones (not really raw meat). She also doesn't dictate the vaccinations REQUIRED before she see's my pets. She understand's my educational background and allows me to decide what's best for MY DOGS! She does try to persuade, but she doesn't PUSH.

If you want personal care for your pets, don't go to a chain-store veterinarian! e AHVMA - American Holistic Veterinary Medical Association

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Our five spoos have been fed a combination RAW diet and kibble for over a year. Not one of them has a taste for blood/aggression. They are the sweetest, most loving dogs I have ever known. So, in my opinion, that theory is bunk. I can walk up to any one of these dogs and take the raw meat out of their mouths. Perhaps it is breed specific?

Our vet is completely aware of the diet we feed our dogs and approves of it. She was very pleased with the physical she did on each one of them.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
If it makes you feel better google Banfield and you will see tons of replies/complaints about the company in general.

My own story for them is kind of long but i'll try to keep it short..

The first dog I got on my own was my German Shepherd Pandora.. I adopted her from Camp Wolfgang a reputable German Shepherd rescue in Ennis, Texas... quite a large fascility! Generally the dogs are healthy or as healthy as can be considering most are rescues from horrible puppy mills or BYB breeding.

The pup I adopted had mange and while she was still young you could tell it was definitely spreading so I wanted to treat it as fast as possible.

I took her to Banfield, did the puppy plan...etc.. they quoted me $400 for everything which was to use mitaban dips.. keep in mind this is a german shepherd puppy at about 16 weeks old if i remember correctly.

Long story short it did clear up the mange but her coat was in god awful condition for quite awhile. It wasn't until I saw a new vet and mentioned it that he said it could have been treated with much safer and cheaper methods..so I was annoyed.. but the important thing is she's happy and healthy today and has a stunning coat.

I would love to feed raw and have before with good results but it was difficult to keep finding what I needed on a reliable basis so I stopped.

I do see some dogs that do fantastic on Eukanuba or Iams, even Pedigree but it doesn't mean it's the best food out there.

I hope you find a new vet..even if a vet disagrees with what you want to feed they should at the very least respect your decision to do so, and also respect the fact that it is obviously working for your dog if her condition looks perfectly fine.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Aidan, that poor shepherd pup! I am always for the mildest most natural treatment available. That's why I was also annoyed when she just said to remedy the allergies with some benadryl. I would much rather tackle the underlying problem! I'm not so upset anymore, not at all actually. I made up my mind to start checking out some local groomers and vet's offices. I am all for supporting local business.

Also, I hope I didn't offend anyone when I mentioned not wanting to feed Eukanuba. I just know that's not the right food for my dog.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts