Poodle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Have any of you used this? I've tried everything to stop Atticus' runny eyes, shaved his face (thinking maybe hairs were poking his eyes), switching bowls, and using filtered water. Nothing has helped! I saw Angels eyes and Top Proformance Proeyes Sparkling Eyes Tear Stain Remover on Petedge and was wondering if any of you have ever used it? Did it work well for your dogs?

http://www.petedge.com/product/Health/Eye-Ear-Care/Eye-Care/Top-Performance-ProEyes-Sparkling-Eyes-Tear-Stain-Remover/pc/193/c/308/sc/386/54716.uts

http://www.petedge.com/product/Health/Eye-Ear-Care/Eye-Care/Angels-Eyes-Tear-Stain-Remover-for-Dogs-Chicken/pc/193/c/308/sc/386/54694.uts

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
be warned, it is an antibiotic, with flavor added so it's palatable for dogs (it's apparently a very bitter AB)
Yes they have it set for a minor dose rate, and it's weaned right down to even less, but personally I'm really rather wary of feeding continual low dose antibiotics to an otherwise healthy dog!

If you DO want to try it, you can usually get the plain antibiotic much much cheaper from a pharmacy or something, though it'll be bitter, if you want to go that route it'll be a whoooole lot cheaper!

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I agree, I would never pay the top price for angel eyes, which has a very small amount of the actual product and you have to use quite a bit and it's bitter. The main ingredient in Angel Eyes is Tylan powder. With a tiny dog you will only need 1/16 of a tea spoon and that jar is large. You might even want to split it with someone. Here's the link:

http://www.revivalanimal.com/store/p/656-Tylan.aspx

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Angel eyes won't stop the runny eyes. It will only cut back on the staining. Eyes run for a variety of reasons:

allergies
blocked tear ducts
small or incorrectly placed tear ducts

I think you need to take the Little Man to an Ophthamologist (not a regular vet) to have his eyes examined.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How do they treat a blocked tearduct? The vet prescribed him these antibiotic drops, but I dont know exactly what they were. He used them for 3 days, like said, and it didnt help at all. I'm going to be taking him back in on Tuesday to get a tiny pea-sized lump on his side/belly area checked out and I'll ask about his eyes again also.

·
Registered
187 Posts
The active ingredient in Angel Eyes is Tylosin, and Tylan is a brand name for it.
I used Tylan on Flash, and it worked wonders! I mixed it with peanut butter and had no trouble getting him to eat it.
The key is to remember that it is an antibiotic; you don't want to keep a dog on for long periods of time. I used Tylan at regular dose (1/8th teaspoon for my 50 lb spoo) for about 3 weeks, then I slowly weaned him off for the next two weeks.
Depending on where you live, you may also need to give filtered water rather than tap. Flash has had very little trouble with his eyes since treatment, but when my hubby accidentally gave him tap water for three days, I noticed the difference right away.
If you see your dog "rusting" (reddish stains around eyes, ears, feet, and sanitary areas) alongside the tear stains, hard water could be your problem.

·
Registered
875 Posts
I have heard (although not experienced ) that this should not be given to pups under a year old, as the antibiotic can cause the developing adult teeth to turn brown.

the adult dogs I have seen that have used angel's eyes looked great afterwards

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Teething can also cause staining, in addition to what Cbrand said. Atticus is pretty young right? I'd keep his face clean (so he doesn't get a skin infection) and give it some time.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I agree that you should use angel eyes. Its not safe to give an antibiotic, no matter how small the dose, everyday.
I have a cream (basicly white) Spoo and i had inquired about AE too but decided to try a more natural approach and honestly the thing that worked best was 1. wiping his eyes everyday if not twice or three times a day and 2. give him distilled/ filtered water ONLY. I guess the minerals and stuff in there contribute to staining.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll see if my mom and I can take him to the vet either later today or tomarrow sometime. I hope its just from him teething. He's 5 months old today.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I notice Misters run a bit after he eats....maybe because he's digesting....the teething thing might be it too.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I'm not quite sure the difference/connections between runny eyes/regular eye boogers/staining...but when my pup had staining, I started giving him filtered/bottled water and there is no more staining, and barely any runs below his eyes...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts