Poodle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings...my father recently passed away and i've adopted his miniature poodle Nicholas....been lurking and reading on a few forums and in my Kalstone copy about the various grooming tools that i may want to acquire.

Was gonna go with word of mouth on everything and order from Petedge or King...was almost set on a corded Andis BUT then saw Petedge was throwing in a cordless trimmer with the purchase of a corded Oster and i thought that would be really handy on Nick's face and especially cause i think i like him with a mustache...BUT...i kept reading that corded Osters are big and cumbersome for some people...hard to maneuver around a small dog...heavy...loud...so that's why i had settled on the Andis...

BUT...even with the Andis, there's SOOO much conflicting information out there and NO published head-to-head reviews that i could find...

Sooo...I thought I better go by the PetSmart and see what I could see rather than just going with the seeming majority of Andis recommendations that are out there...

Glad I did...my main concern being weight...had heard some peeps claim the Osters were almost twice as heavy as the Andis...???

WRONG!! Seems like i hear this ALOT - but it's absolutely incorrect...are peeps simply reading the manufacturer's own listed specs and then quoting THAT without actually handling them???

They had four models in stock: The Oster Golden A5 2-Speed, Oster Turbo A5 2-Speed, Andis AG 2-Speed Detacheable Plus(22215), and Andis UltraEdge AGC 2-Speed(22405).

The manager and I stood there and BOTH did a side-by-side comparison of ALL models... The Results: The Two Osters were definitely lighter than either of the Andis' and the Andis UltraEdge was the heaviest...

So that dispels these weight criticisms and puts Oster back in the game...a game i'll continue after i have a few dried plums and a diet coke... can't get nick to try one - bananas or apples either...he does find cheetos interesting...

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
I think it's more the OLD osters are seriously big and heavy. I have no idea what the newer models are (ie, ones you can buy now! My 3 pairs are all at least 20 years old....) but my old ones are definitely heavy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
continuing...

regarding the Osters being bigger or cumbersome or harder to handle and maneuver:

from just a quick hands on, it seemed to me that the square-edged Andis AG (22215) would be the hardest to handle compared to the cylindrical shape of the three other models...AND, IMO, i wouldn't call it any "smaller" than the Osters...though maybe a tad shorter...

NOW...comparing the two cylindrical Osters to the cylindrical Andis UltraEdge AGC - YES, the circumference of the Andis is smaller and thus I'd assume easier to grip for a smaller hand...BUT, as I learned with random-orbit sanders, ergonomically, smaller isn't necessarily better for a hand-grip...which i believe is in play with those wide barreled writing pens for peeps with arthritis...

So I dunno...at this point I don't see any issues with the Osters and feel comfortable moving on to focus on performance, heat, noise, durability, maintenance...

Does anybody have anything GOOD to say about Oster when compared to Andis...?

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
So, I don't have the details you do but when I was reviewing specs on both of these, I honestly felt that Osters were much better than Andis. Andis is good I am sure (never used them) But I do notice that Andis are really putting a lot of marketing $$ into their product where I don't see Oster doing that as much and they have been around forever. Thing's like this make me go OK could this be the increased hype?/? I always watch these thing's when I am looking into purchasing something new.

But I didn't end up going with either!! I went with a Laube cordless because it had the adjustable blade settings. (which the one Oster did that I was looking at) But I got a GREAT deal and I really like them. No Heat what so ever and that was also very important to me.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I must admit that all of my Osters are at least 25 years or more as well.. And they are heavy.. So I am anxious to hear how you like your new ones.. I think the longevity is sure there with the Oster....

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Glad for the post I'm looking into getting some clippers too and the info is great. We went to Petsmart and did the same thing and I thought that the size of the Andis was better for my hand but my husband thought that the Oster was better constructed. Not sure which we'll get tho. I think it will probably be the Oster

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
I have six sets of Osters, both A2 and A5 and I LOVE them. I have never used anything else. And, as long as you do not mistreat them and maintain them as per manufacturers instructions, they last FOREVER!! I also have hands that are not teeny wee.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I have used both the Andis and Osters. I really like the Andis better. The Osters are heavier and louder then the Andis. The Osters have air blowing out close to the blade which allows cut hair to be blown around. I have used the Andis for 8 years now and it's still going strong. Just my opinion on the two. I hope this helps. :)

·
Registered
875 Posts
I have used both the cylindrical (sp) oster A5 and the andis (red squareish, black squareish, and the lightspeed) I prefer andis, they don't get as hot as fast, and the housing doesnt get warm even when I have been doing matted dog shavedowns all day.

I dont like the noise of the oster, or that the switch is on the end, I have to use 2 hands to turn it on and off, and in my job, sometimes that just isnt convienient.

I would use an oster (If I had one) for large jobs (horses, heavily matted large dogs ect) because it seems a little more powerful.

The oster just seems too cumbersome, but then again I have been using the andis clippers almost exclusively.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I have used both the cylindrical (sp) oster A5 and the andis (red squareish, black squareish, and the lightspeed) I prefer andis, they don't get as hot as fast, and the housing doesnt get warm even when I have been doing matted dog shavedowns all day.

I dont like the noise of the oster, or that the switch is on the end, I have to use 2 hands to turn it on and off, and in my job, sometimes that just isnt convienient.

I would use an oster (If I had one) for large jobs (horses, heavily matted large dogs ect) because it seems a little more powerful.

The oster just seems too cumbersome, but then again I have been using the andis clippers almost exclusively.
I totally agree, with everything you had to say. I had forgotten how hot the oster can get. Very good points!

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
I have an Andis (bought about 10 years ago) and Spoospirit has an Oster (bought this spring), they are both about the same size and both get hot about the same also. I have used spoos and she mine when we work together. She loves hers and I do mine. The only thing I can say I like about hers better is that hers is a two speed and mine only one. I have found that different type/brand blades get hotter faster or slower more than the clippers being an issue for us.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
I use the Oster as jester's mom mentioned. My switch is on the side which is convenient; not like Frostfires. It is more powerful than the Andis. It does eventually heat up at the blade area but I have never had the housing even get warm. That is why i frequently check the blade against the back of my hand. I don't like the spray to keep it cool so I use a plain ol' ice cube on a piece of paper towel. Cools it quickly and keeps it that way for a bit. Guess I am just used to doing things this way. I do also notice that some blades heat up much quicker than others.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
So, I don't have the details you do but when I was reviewing specs on both of these, I honestly felt that Osters were much better than Andis. Andis is good I am sure (never used them) But I do notice that Andis are really putting a lot of marketing $$ into their product where I don't see Oster doing that as much and they have been around forever. Thing's like this make me go OK could this be the increased hype?/? I always watch these thing's when I am looking into purchasing something new.

But I didn't end up going with either!! I went with a Laube cordless because it had the adjustable blade settings. (which the one Oster did that I was looking at) But I got a GREAT deal and I really like them. No Heat what so ever and that was also very important to me.
It works great and once my skills improve I hope I can use one battery only lol - I still may invest in a Oster....:)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts