Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
to save those stem cells!

This was on my FB today and I can't help but be sceptical.

Stem Cell Storage for your dog's future problems....................They haven't even developed any procedures yet but they will store those stem cells for your use in the future ..............if you have the $$$$$$

Take a look..... makes me think of the people who have their bodies frozen hoping for a miraculous return LOL!
Entrepreneurism at it's finest!? Or preying on people who are over-the-top dog lovers?

https://gallant.com/company

Reactions: Skylar and Dechi

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My son and DIL did that for my grandson. Something else I’ve never heard of in parenting or poodle ownership. Always learning...
I believe the procedure for umbilical cord blood with human babies has proven to work when certain kinds of child cancers are involved.........but this company only promises research for dogs using this procedure and in the meantime they will bank your dog's stem cells .........no cures produced for anything yet! All I read is a lot 'marketing'!...............

·
Registered
12,499 Posts
Yep - looks to me as if someone spotted a gap in the market! Looks to me like a solution in search of a problem...

·
Registered
7,269 Posts
Reactions: MollyMuiMa

·
Premium Member
23,228 Posts
NPR had an interesting show on cryogenics. https://www.thisamericanlife.org/354/mistakes-were-made

I won’t be wasting my money, I have far better things to waste money on that bring me joy.

And you won't have to be dead or frozen for the enjoyment...

Freezing umbilical cord blood cells has shown utility when bone marrow transplants are needed for children with hematological and some other cancers where chemotherapy destroys bone marrow.

This just looks like a way to take bucks from people who see it as a way to resurrect fluffy, even though that is not what they are claiming on the web site.

Reactions: MollyMuiMa

·
Super Moderator
3,369 Posts
...This just looks like a way to take bucks from people who see it as a way to resurrect fluffy, even though that is not what they are claiming on the web site.
Use for cloning your dying or late dog was the first thing I thought too. Adolfo Cambiaso of Argentina cloned of his winning polo horse, and they win too; 60 minutes ran a story on this last year. (link)

Fascinating subject, even though we didn't agree on it, like when Barbra Streisand did this for $50K. She's happy and has the money to blow so I don't begrudge her. I just googled for the correct spelling of her last name, and there's an article from June with updated photos. (link)

I've always wondered if or how AKC will register cloned pups from International Grand Champion dogs, especially a top producing stud dog of champion progeny. My biggest concern would be we'd have even less genetic diversity from a stud dog and it's clones impregnating hundreds of females; there'd be way too many puppies with the same genetic father, raising the risk of an unseen genetic disease years later. There's still many unknowns about cloning; I don't know if a shortened lifespan would be a concern using an umbilical cord.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts