Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oh my gosh, some people!! What I wouldn't give to know what goes through the minds of some of my least brilliant customers.

Lady comes in, OWNS A POODLE, her's happens to be a toy...kinda. Anyway the point is she OWNS A POODLE!!!!!!! She comes in and starts looking at Saleen and Jazz who are lost in dream land in their crates. She keeps looking at them, and then back at us, looking at them, and then back at us with this really confused and kind of upset look on her face.
Her comment: They're So big...?? Why are they cut like poodles?? They're so big.
Response: They are poodles.
Her next comment: No... No, they can't be. They are SO BIG....!
Response: Ummm are you retarded??.. no just kidding we didn't say that. Explained that they were standard poodles.
Next comment: BUT THEY ARE SOOOO BIG!!
*sigh* Is there anything else I can help you with today? No? Ok, we'll call when fluffy is finished.

Different customer, came in this Tuesday. ALSO A POODLE OWNER!!

Looks at Jazz and Saleen, keep in mind they are spoos. Anyway she peeks around the corner looks at them sleeping. Doesn't say a word. Hands me her sorry excuse for a poodle, no really she was in BAD shape - poor thing. Starts talking about me making her look as poodley as possible.
Ummm yeah... did you notice you dog is almost bald?
Anyway wants her to look somewhat like a poodle, do the best I can kind of thing and DEFINITLY paint those toenials.
Sure... is my eye twitching yet?
Then she give me this funny look, you know the looks that tells you stupidity is on the way. Asks me if I know much about poodles. I point to Jazz and Saleen and say "Well I own two of them and I groom them both myself of course."
She glances down her snobby nose at the girls and says, "Oh are they real poodles?? You sure? Are they purebred poodles or are those cocker-poodles... isn't that what they're called.
My Response; *in shock, and trying to keep a straight face*, "Ehh, it's cocka-poo I believe and NO, they aren't. They are standard poodles, both are purebred and registered.
She kind blinks at me a couple of times no doubt thinking that I am an idiot and then without another word walks out...
Uhhh Bye, see you in two hours... (Weirdo)

I'm grooming my big boy in a conti. today and ironicly enough, the most reconized haircut in the world " that stupid poodle cut as so many people call it" will still result in people comming in today and asking what kind of dog HE is! Sheesh!

Ummmk, so I think I'll make a sign to hang on the girl's crate it will read -
YES I AM A POODLE! Clean Face, Clean Feet, Puff on Tail - DUH

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
ROFL! I am sorry WP! Some people are not the brightest bulb LOL!!!! I LOVE hearing stories of people trying to argue with dog owners that they do NOT have the breed they registered with AKC as a puppy LOL!!!

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
That is funny lol

so far people knw Enzo is a poodle but we always get is he dyed ? :mmph: Or dang he is hugh well duh he is a standard poodle.

One time someone said he looked like a monkey I started to laugh

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Wow, you had a good few dumb clients. To me, a Standard sized Poodle seems like the classic Poodle figure. If what Im saying makes any sense. I think you get what I mean. lol

When I think Poodle, I think large, proud, fluffy and puffs. That just sceams standard Poodle!

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LoL, Secreto I know exactly what you're talking about. I love to answer the 'they're so big" arguement with " well the standard is the orgional poodle size.." You'd think the term "standard" would give it away.

Roxy you're comment about Enzo being dyed reminded me of anything DUH client last week. This lady comes in and looks at Saleen and gets all confused. Now keep in mind that Saleen and Jazz look very different in terms of size, coat length, and style. Anyway she gets all confused looking at Saleen and says "Why on EARTH did you dye you're poodle that god awful color, she was so pretty white". I couldn't keep a straight face. I'm sure it was unprofessional but I doubled over laughing and tried to explain between gasps for air that it was a different dog and has never been dyed.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
:lol:.... "here's your sign!!!!"

I JUST told my co-worker that I want to order a roll of stickers that say "I'm the proud owner of a sign" and hand those out to the idiots I come across on a daily basis! :rofl:

When I was growing up we always knew them as "French" Poodles... not Standard poodles. The smaller versions (mini & toy) was just poodles.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Oh, you all crack me up. Too funny. I love WonderPup's comment, clean feet, clean face, puffy tail....gotta be a poodle. People have no clue. I don't know why. I have seen standards all my life and absolutely adore their statuesque poses. They just know they are cute.

I don't know how I would have responded to the lady who thought Saleen was supposed to be Jazz. It would be fun to have a picture of her expression.

·
Registered
124 Posts
OMG that is soo funny! I get the "that is not a poodle" thing all the time. One guy told me that my spoo was mixed. I asked with what trying to act like I didn't know any better. He told me that someone must have gotten a lab female to mate with a male poodle because poodles are small and put the male on something tall so it could mate with the female. I'm trying to hold my laughter in as he is explaining this, this guy was serious!:wacko::questionmark:

·
Registered
646 Posts
I got so many people asking what kinda dogs they are at the Woofstock in Toronto last weekend. Why are they so big? Because they are STANDARD POODLES.
Mandy is only 35 ish lbs she is a little bug yet people still don't realize she is a poodle.
I mean look at her pics could she look any more poodley

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
That is just amazing that so many of you have had such weird experiences with people! I wish I had a funny story to tell but I don't. Whenever people see our poodles they always come up and ask if they are standards but they know that they are poodles and that they are probably standards.

The only confusion we have had is that jester, who is a toy poodle, adult size, and apricot, and Taffy who is a baby standard, same color and clipped, look a lot a like so people are often surprised to hear that Taffy is a standard puppy, not an adult toy like Jester. She's outgrowing him now anyway so that should end the confusion.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Hey Spoospirit, I think it has to do with the area of the country you live in or better yet the city. I live in the Overbrook section of Philadelphia, where the mix of people are from the very rich, with half million dollar homes to the lower middle class, which most of the residents have never seen a standard poodle, except on tv, and most people have dogs like pit bulls, dobermans, and rottweilers. Unfortunately, a lot of people from lower demographic economic places aren't exposed to a lot more things than people from better social backgrounds. When I was growing up I lived in North Philadelphia in a very poor area and most of my neighbors didn't or couldn't even afford a dog, and the ones who had dogs kept them outside. I moved to a better neighborhood and I have noticed that with better surroundings, people tend to have more breeds of dogs and walk them a lot more. They also recognise other breeds of dogs that people have. Its a sad fact but in my experience it holds true for me. I get questions and comments about my spoo when I visit my mom who refuses to move from her home in north philly despite my offers to move her in with me, I live in a 6 bedroom single home with a detached garage.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I live in San Francisco and you would think people here are used to spoos (most are), but I still get occasional: "OMG, that is the biggest poodle I have ever seen!!!! I didn't know they came in THAT size!!!" So of course, I can't pass up the opportunity to educate and explain that the Standard (aka large) poodle is the original poodle and that the mini and toy have been bred down from them. I try to keep it very short, as most people get the glazed look in their eyes if I get too involved with my story. lol

·
Registered
37 Posts
:lol:.... "here's your sign!!!!"

I JUST told my co-worker that I want to order a roll of stickers that say "I'm the proud owner of a sign" and hand those out to the idiots I come across on a daily basis! :rofl:

When I was growing up we always knew them as "French" Poodles... not Standard poodles. The smaller versions (mini & toy) was just poodles.
Why do people think poodles come from France? Its a bit controversial but they come from Germany. do they not?

·
Registered
210 Posts
OMG that is soo funny! I get the "that is not a poodle" thing all the time. One guy told me that my spoo was mixed. I asked with what trying to act like I didn't know any better. He told me that someone must have gotten a lab female to mate with a male poodle because poodles are small and put the male on something tall so it could mate with the female. I'm trying to hold my laughter in as he is explaining this, this guy was serious!:wacko::questionmark:
OMG!!! That is too funny!! (and stupid) Sorry for the double post but I had to go back and read everything LOL!

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Why do people think poodles come from France? Its a bit controversial but they come from Germany. do they not?
I do know that the 3 countries that contributed to promoting the poodle was Russia, Germany and France. Since a lot of people in my home country originated from French immigrants, they probably just brought that over as part of what they considered their heritage. (not sure?) I also know that the poodle is France's national dog, which could have something to do with why in my home country we knew it as the french poodle.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I get asked anytime I take mine in if they are labradoodles or the portugeuse water dogs, etc... I think mine having the long tail throws people off a bit!

I have never had anyone that hasn't heard of a standard poodle though! I was asked one day while walking Vega my standard and Pyrrha my great pyrenees why Pyrrha was "so much different looking" and it took me forever to understand and then I had to explain that she wasn't a poodle!! It was some older lady though and she was really nice she just thought Pyrrha was also a poodle!

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Interesting question about the French/German thing. I know the Standard Poodle originated in Germany, but where were the smaller poodles developed? Perhaps they are the French Poodles?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts