Poodle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well she didn't get a groom although I did shave her ears! I've had horrible luck with fleas lately and she had to have a flea bath, it was driving me nuts. I am convinced frontline is just about worthless and bought some advantage today so I figured i'd give her a good flea bath and then use this stuff tomorrow. I also did a flea bomb in the house today...hope this helps and ill do another flea bomb in a week or so to make sure everything is dead.

I shaved her ears today though and fluffed her out a bit.. I love the shaved ear look on her. Maybe now when she throws her head in her water bowl she wont bring half of the bowl back out into the living room with her!

Enjoy!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
She does have very striking coloration! Love it. I know what you mean about fleas this year. Have been battling them here too, I swear the fleas are getting immune to the flea drips, even advantage doesn't work like it used to!

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wonderpup sent me a pm about something called fleatreats

https://www.fleatreat.com/welcome.html

I am definitely going to order some..for the price, why not? 500 treats for $25 or something like that..even if it doesn't work the dogs get a treat but i've read some reviews and it seems promising. If anything it's better then frontline not working at all..

Also I think i've found that my favorite flea shampoo is Adams..yep the cheap stuff that can be found anywhere even walmart. I've been using it for fleas and i don't even have to use the normal shampoo on the poodles it makes the coat feel so nice, doesn't over condition or anything..i love it and I diliute it a bunch and leave it on for 10 minutes...works wonders!

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
See if you can get ahold of show seasons FLEE shampoo, it's worked really really well and is non toxic unlike the last bottle of Adams I looked at. You'll need to be careful about putting products that contain the same types of flea killing toxins on your babies in addition to the frontline you're using. Though to be honest you really don't *need* amy sort of flea shampoo, any shampoo at all will kill fleas if you lather and let it sit for a few minutes, seems to me that would be safer? I guess I'm paranoid about that kind of thing having seen clients make similar mistakes doubling up on flea products and get bad reactions. Another shampoo that is mostly no toxic is deflea and that one is easy to find, you'd have to order the show seasons stuff. I don't care for how deflea smells. I used Advantix this year and have only applied it twice half a dose on each poodle, lasted through baths for at least 8 weeks, handy. I also treat house and yard as often as needed. Gotta love the southern super fleas LoL. Year round fun :)

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
Oh my.. I LOVE LOVE LOVE!! shaved ears and a fluffy body on a standard! Next to the modified contiental clip (low matience one) it's my favorite clip. I think Dodger looks absolutely gorgeous and would love to give her a huge bear hug!

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
Also, I have no experience with fleas whatsoever.. I've been grooming for over a year and have yet to see a dog with a single flea ever in our salon (it's uncommon in nothern utah) and the only fleas I've seen are on rabbits I've hunted. I can't imagine how irritating it is to have fleas! I hope you're able to get a handle on things!

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I need to redo her ears I only used the 5G with the wahl set because I was too lazy to get up and grab my 5 blade from the other room..lol and the blade works much better for something like that, at least for me. I was nervous about going that short on her ears but I agree. I do love it on her!

Thanks for the info Wonder, i have heard that leaving any shampoo on will work but honestly I was just in a hurry. Needed something to kill them fast and I hadn't applied frontline in over a month or two.

The salon i work in uses ESPREE products (for the most part) I love the dirty dog shampoo and that flea stuff works really well too and you can dilute it instead of using it straight. We also use Tropiclean NEEM shampoo and that's probably my favorite..I don't know if it kills fleas or not but it's supposed to help with the itching from flea bites.

I have seen Deflea at Petco I believe. I might grab a bottle although im hoping after this round of baths, the flea house bomb, yard spray and advantage i'll have a handle on everything. It's just been awful this year and i have another unopened box of Frontline as well :(

Oh well!

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
She looks amazing. The shaved ears really frame her face. I'm glad you posted pictures of her too!

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Did you move yet Aiden? When we bought our house last year it had been empty for I think it was 2 years?? At least a year and a 1/2 I know for sure. Anyway just walking through the knee high grass int he backyard while we were looking at the house yielded a sockfull of fleas - UGH! LoL, we bought it anyway and when we moved in we treated the yard with this stuff we got at Lowes, though I think you can get it just about anywhere. It's in a grey bottle and starts with a T.. hooks right to the water hose and sprays. It is safe for pets to be on as soon as it is dry and it dries pretty quickly. It worked awsome! Even with the outside cats a bunch of our neighbors have we don't get fleas in the yard. It lasted a long time to so long as you don't have weeks worth or rain all at once. I got a cheaper version of this stuff made by Cutter (same ppl who make OFF bug spray) it was called bug free backyard and didn't work nearly as well. I've never bombed the house, so have no experiences with that. I do sometimes salt the carpets with that cheapie reg. table salt, let it sit, and the suck it up in the shop vac. Supposedly this dehydrates the fleas? *shrugs*

LoL, can you tell I'm a bit obsessive about bugs and fleas are one of my favorite doggie subjects. I'm always looking for the latest and greatest and in flea prevention. Lately I've been trying more and more natural(ish) products.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
LoL, OH YEAH, I just realized I forgot to say how great Dodger is looking. Got distracted - sorry lol. She looks good :)

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We have not moved yet but will be in January, maybe it will be cold enough in North Carolina for all the fleas to be dead! So I can start fresh!

I think we are going to rent for a year or two before we consider buying. I found a landlord that doesn't seem too concerned with the dogs and she even has a few standard poodles! She was a little concerned about a german shepherd but she should be the least of her worries! lol

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
What a good looking dog. :)
Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
646 Posts
Rather then flea bomb why not sprinkle Borox on all the carpets and leave over night instead. You vacuum it up the next day and do this for a couple days and fleas are gone.
I hate poisens all over but yes fleas were bad here in Ontario as well Mandy got them pretty good

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Another tip I learned through our clinic:
Buy a flea collar and cut it with a scissors and put part of it in your vacuum cleaner bag/canister. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts