Poodle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,
Is there an effective supplement to relieve anal gland issues? I’m wondering what you use and how. Also, I read that expressing them can be detrimental. I saw that at dogsnaturallymagazine.com
What do you think?

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
I express Misha's monthly. He does go periods of time where he's fine and doesn't need it, but if I go with the "wait and see" method I seem to inevitably end up with fishy surprise. So I just deal with it because he doesn't show any signs when they're getting bad like scooting. Smaller dogs are more likely to need help than larger dogs. I do it myself and use the internal expression method so I feel that it's quite safe because you can make sure that you're applying pressure in precisely the right spots. I would worry more doing external expression.

·
Premium Member
6,629 Posts
Only ever expressed anal gland except on my mother's toy poodle, never had to with my poodles. Used to have to do an elderly cat.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I express Misha's monthly. He does go periods of time where he's fine and doesn't need it, but if I go with the "wait and see" method I seem to inevitably end up with fishy surprise. So I just deal with it because he doesn't show any signs when they're getting bad like scooting. Smaller dogs are more likely to need help than larger dogs. I do it myself and use the internal expression method so I feel that it's quite safe because you can make sure that you're applying pressure in precisely the right spots. I would worry more doing external expression.
Struggle with this issue too

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
460 Posts
Charlie never scoots, just licks himself obsessively until I am afraid he will wear the hair off. Changing food has helped somewhat. Have been trying the internal expression and one time got two white lumps out

·
Registered
7,020 Posts
Glandex chewables helped, but Beckie probably has allergies issues and her glands need expressing often.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Charlie never scoots, just licks himself obsessively until I am afraid he will wear the hair off. Changing food has helped somewhat. Have been trying the internal expression and one time got two white lumps out

White lumps and him licking them constantly sound concerning to me, although I admit I don't know very much about this topic, as I've been lucky enough to not have to express either dog's anal sacs. Have you taken him to the vet for this issue? Does he smell like rotten fish at all? Are the glands swollen in any way? Him licking it might be making it more irritated than it actually is, so maybe a cone might help?

·
Registered
460 Posts
White lumps and him licking them constantly sound concerning to me, although I admit I don't know very much about this topic, as I've been lucky enough to not have to express either dog's anal sacs. Have you taken him to the vet for this issue? Does he smell like rotten fish at all? Are the glands swollen in any way? Him licking it might be making it more irritated than it actually is, so maybe a cone might help?
He will go for days with no licking, then start up. If he has a big poop, it settles down. I've taken him to the vet several times and occasionally there has been fluid expressed, other times not. He's never had any infection according to the vet. The white lumps only happened once 3 months ago. He is going to his regular professional Groomer in 3 days, and she is very skillful. I know she will tell me if she finds anything . We've considered a cone - but are afraid he would get trapped and strangle himself in a panic. We live in either a 24 foot travel trailer or a tiny condo. Or are traveling by truck, where Charlie takes up nearly all of the back seat. Picture an 85 pound dog who is 30 inches at the shoulder, and especially flexible. When he was neutered the vet had to fit him with the biggest cone they had, it must have been about 3 feet across, because he twisted himself into a pretzel and was able to get at the incision. We had to lock him up for days in my parent's empty garage for his own safety because the cone was so huge he bashed into all of the furniture and got into a crazy panic when he got caught on things. Not sure if it is safe to muzzle a dog for hours at a time, either. Think he would do himself an injury trying to tear it off.

·
Registered
7,020 Posts
Constant bitt licking can be caused by allergies. I’m on this path with Beckie, trying to find the cause of her licking. We’re on an elimination diet that is either not working, or working partly or totally but the licking is caused by seasonal allergies. We have an appointment with a dermatologist in october.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just an update here,
Well my sweet girl Belle has stopped licking her bum. I think just having her glands expressed was the cure. She is much better now and I’m so relieved. I wonder though how often this should be done?

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Glad to hear she's doing well. This thread has made me curious as to how often Mia's groomer expresses her.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey everyone,
Is there an effective supplement to relieve anal gland issues? I’m wondering what you use and how. Also, I read that expressing them can be detrimental. I saw that at dogsnaturallymagazine.com
What do you think?
My vet recommended Glandex as Pumpkin, my toy had an anal gland infection. It was so swollen and we had to express all the yuck out. I keep an eye on it now. Glandex seems to help

1 - 15 of 15 Posts