Poodle Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #21
11 DAYS since having Peggy's glands expressed, and there's that vile fish smell again. :mad: I'm so tired of stripping the couch and washing all the cushion covers. It definitely happens most often when she's relaxing up there with my husband and a chew toy.

The technician noted no abnormalities, and also said the glands were only about half full. This just doesn't seem right.
It is such a pain, I know ! Are going to try Glandex or another similar product ?

Registered
It is such a pain, I know ! Are going to try Glandex or another similar product ?
We've tracked down Glandex chews at a local Petco and will pick them up tomorrow. My husband, while putting in the second load of today's fishy laundry, said he doesn't want to wait the extra day for delivery. I can't blame him!

My last dog had to have her glands regularly expressed, but had zero odour. She was an enthusiastic scooter (which was admittedly pretty hilarious when she'd do it down our steep driveway). I wonder if the scooting actually helps get the scent out in more socially appropriate places?

Not sure our poor couch will ever be the same. 馃槀

Registered
Petco was out of the Glandex chews. Grrrr. But we picked up the powder and Peggy's already devoured her first dose.

She says, "Mmmm! Yummy!"

I say, "Pleeease work!"

Registered
I鈥檓 not sure if it will help Peggy, but my vet recommended psyllium husk for anal gland issues. It really bulks up the stool and gives it a very weird jelly-like texture. You just need to add about a tsp to meals (for a spoo). Might be worth a try!

Registered
I鈥檓 not sure if it will help Peggy, but my vet recommended psyllium husk for anal gland issues. It really bulks up the stool and gives it a very weird jelly-like texture. You just need to add about a tsp to meals (for a spoo). Might be worth a try!
Thank you! She has such fabulous digestion and regular, well-formed poops, I hate having to mess around with this stuff. But I do suspect her "perfect poops" could be at least part of the problem.

I'm going to slowly increase the Glandex over the next few weeks, and will put psyllium on my shopping list if we're not seeing results.

Registered
Well, it's too soon to safe if it's working, but Peggy LOVES the Glandex powder! Wow! She just licked her breakfast bowl clean and is rudely flipping it around now, demanding more.

Registered
I didn鈥檛 know they had powder. What I have are soft chews.

I鈥檓 glad she likes it !
I wanted the chews, but Petco was out of them. :(

Maybe I got lucky, though! If this helps the gland problem and motivates her to eat, I'll be one happy lady.

Fingers crossed.

It's got the same active ingredients, but in a base of dried beef liver.

Registered
Fabulous that Peggy eats her meals with the powder on it, do you mix with wet food?
I moisten her kibble with water (as I usually do) and then just sprinkle it on top to ensure she eats the whole dose.

She was VERY excited for it again tonight.

Registered
My 13 mo old standard has a fishy odor off and on. I didnt know it was common and or if I should be concerned until I read all the comments? We had anal Expressed and vet said not full? Thank you for the information.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts