Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don’t routinely empty my dogs anal glands but Beckie is the exception to the rule. She needs them expressed about every two weeks or she gets very bothered. I’ve had the vet do it and I’ve done it myself but I was hoping to find a natural solution.

Through my research, I’ve found this product, made in the US and supposedly by vets. They have a 100% satisfaction guarantee and will reimburse you if it doesn’t work. It cost me something like 50$ CAD and for Beckie who is small, it will last me six months.

I’ve been using it for about 3 weeks now and it made a difference in 24 hours. Beckie never licks herself anymore and her stools are bigger and firmer, which allow the glands to drain on their own.

If anyone has the same problem with their dog, it definitely is something to consider.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Cool.

Looks like a convenient solution. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
5,146 Posts
Thank you! The ingredients look pretty good and straight-forward. I like that. Adding this to my cart for future use :)

Peggy's anal gland episodes so far seem to improve with a daily green bean or two. Just something to bulk her poops up a bit. Canned pumpkin made her vomit.

·
Registered
7,256 Posts
I’m glad you found something too but I bet Beckie is the most pleased that no one is mucking around her behind and it’s not bothering her.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I don’t routinely empty my dogs anal glands but Beckie is the exception to the rule. She needs them expressed about every two weeks or she gets very bothered. I’ve had the vet do it and I’ve done it myself but I was hoping to find a natural solution.

Through my research, I’ve found this product, made in the US and supposedly by vets. They have a 100% satisfaction guarantee and will reimburse you if it doesn’t work. It cost me something like 50$ CAD and for Beckie who is small, it will last me six months.

I’ve been using it for about 3 weeks now and it made a difference in 24 hours. Beckie never licks herself anymore and her stools are bigger and firmer, which allow the glands to drain on their own.

If anyone has the same problem with their dog, it definitely is something to consider.

Thanks! Will look into it too

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update : the feeding instructions say 1/2 a chew pill for dogs up to 15 pounds, so I started with 1/3 pill since Beckie is 7 pounds.

She was okay for 4 weeks but then I had to empty her glands. 2 days ago I upped the dose to 1/2 pill and we’ll see how it goes. If I’m not satisfied I’ll just stop using it and ask for a refund, since it’s 100% guaranteed.

It’s been helping though, because we went from expressing her glands every 2 weeks to every 4 weeks.

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How do you know when you need to empty her glands? Does she get a fishy or metallic smell? Or is it just when she starts licking or scooting?
She doesn’t scoot, she licks herself and there is also the fishy smell that sets in. Now that I’ve experienced it, I can recognize it when it starts to smell a little bit.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I actually used them on a past dog I had. Seemed to make somewhat a difference. One of the dogs I occasionally pet for gets them every day and they help her.
I think I found something similar here in British Columbia. Hard to get selection when you live in a tiny village in the interior. We are giving it a try. "Head to Tail" Scoot Stop. Made in USA

·
Registered
10,294 Posts
Thank you for the recommendation. I think I'll try it. Poor Matisse...he has had two anal gland abscesses. He did not scoot but did seem to be licking near his hind end more than usual. I didn't notice anything wrong when I groomed him just a day before I noticed him being in pain...shivering. It just didn't occur to me about his anal glands. (dumb me) I took him to the vet here and she took x-rays because I said he's in pain...maybe it's his knee or something...arthritis but she said he doesn't have arthritis or anything wrong there. I shouldn't have given her that idea. But she noticed nothing...must not have palpated him very well because she sent us on our way as I was still protesting, "But he's in PAIN!!!" I was so disturbed. So I took him all the way across the water on the ferry to my old vet north of Seattle. He immediately knew what was wrong because he ran his hands all over him, lifted his tail, said, "What's this?!" and said it was the worst abscess he'd ever seen and sedated him, lanced it, drained it, gave me anti-biotics and some ointment to squeeze up into the hole he made to lance. But he survived that.

Then it happened again not that long after...maybe another couple months. But I noticed it sooner this time, took him to another vet in my town who didn't have to lance it but drained it. I was told then that he'd need to have his glands expressed routinely. Well, I use to do this myself with a past dog...my Dobe. But when I tried to do it myself on my Chihuahua, I couldn't get anything to come out so I figure I may have trouble with the poodles. They're so tiny, it scares me. So, I'll try this stuff. I do have the stuff called Firm UP. I wonder if it's virtually the same thing though. At any rate, they dislike it and won't eat their food with it on there. I think, but can't quite remember for sure, that they're eating a different food now that may work better anyhow. But just in case, I'll try this stuff. Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Oh no, poor Matisse ! It must have been awfully painful... I really hope Glandex works for him. It smells good and Beckie likes the taste. I just give it as a treat.

But when I tried to do it myself on my Chihuahua, I couldn't get anything to come out so I figure I may have trouble with the poodles.
I was afraid to do it to Beckie but I was shown how to do it and figured I had to try.

Here’s how I do it : I put her back paws in the sink, and her front paws on the counter. It gives me a nice angle to work, and when I express the glands, the liquid falls directly into the sink, not even touching her fur.

After that I leave her in the same position to run some water and soap on her bum and dry her, just to make sure she won’t smell. And then I clean and disinfect the sink thoroughly. Try it, maybe you’ll like it too.

·
Super Moderator
5,146 Posts
PB, have you tried bulking up Matisse's food with a green bean or another fibrous veg he enjoys?

We are loving life with Peggy since having her glands expressed by a vet tech, but would also really like to find a more permanent ongoing solution. A green bean seemed to work for us for a while, but Peggy has very compact poops and seemed to quickly adapt to the extra fibre.

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I am going to compare the cost, and also buy the Glandex to see if it works better. Charlie loves the Scoot stop, but I am not sure if it does anything

Please come back and let us know. :)

·
Super Moderator
5,146 Posts
11 DAYS since having Peggy's glands expressed, and there's that vile fish smell again. :mad: I'm so tired of stripping the couch and washing all the cushion covers. It definitely happens most often when she's relaxing up there with my husband and a chew toy.

The technician noted no abnormalities, and also said the glands were only about half full. This just doesn't seem right.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts