Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Dog is Friendly! A Public Service Announcement | notes from a dog walker I'm sure a lot of you have heard about DINOS, but I thought that the rest of you would be interested in it as well. :)

I can't even take my DINOS (Dusty) out into public anymore because of this issue...everyone thinks he's cute and that their dog should meet him or that they themselves should pet him...and half the time they grab him before I can say a word. :p It's really frustrating, because I would love to work with him on his issues. I need to find some places around here that aren't terribly busy and where everyone just ignores dogs.

Reactions: petitpie

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
I know not all dogs are friendly ... But if you have a Dinos, if it doesn't like people and bites, I think it is up to you as the owner to stay away from dangerous situations. If you refuse to muzzle it, then busy public streets should be avoided. My poodle is too friendly, and when I'm walking him at the local on-leash park, if I walk towards someone else with a dog, I keep Russell close. I will not let him meet and greet!it's just common sense. And if I'm at an off-leash park I don't expect to see a Dinos, but unfortunately, I have. Works both ways!

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know not all dogs are friendly ... But if you have a Dinos, if it doesn't like people and bites, I think it is up to you as the owner to stay away from dangerous situations. If you refuse to muzzle it, then busy public streets should be avoided. My poodle is too friendly, and when I'm walking him at the local on-leash park, if I walk towards someone else with a dog, I keep Russell close. I will not let him meet and greet!it's just common sense. And if I'm at an off-leash park I don't expect to see a Dinos, but unfortunately, I have. Works both ways!
I agree...hence my decision to keep Dusty at home or in our neighborhood where he is comfortable.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I don't think all DINOS that are out in public are mean or aggressive. Casper is extremely friendly and wants to say to everyone he meets, including animals but I make sure to give everyone their space and if it's not so obvious, I always ask if it's okay to say hello. One of our local parks is frequented by a trainer who goes there to train other people's dogs. On our walk today, he was there with a really big puppy. The trainer greeted us and said it was okay for Casper to say hi to the puppy. After going around the park a few times, it was clear that the trainer needed to focus on training and did not want to be disturbed. Casper really wanted to say hi again but I respected the trainer's wish not to be disturbed. The puppy wasn't aggressive or mean, just needed to focus on what he was there for.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Leroy is too friendly. He's not a DINOS, but I'M the one who wants space for him. I'll take him out in public and people immediately want to pet him. The parents with kids always tell their children to ask first before they can pet him. I politely decline. For adults who want to pet him, I try not to make eye contact (btw, Leroy knows when someone wants his attention cause by this point he's straining at the leash, on his hind legs, jumping and crying). One lady approached, and because I turned my back to walk away from her, she asked "Does he bite?" and I said "No, he's just hyper and loves to jump." She exclaimed "Oh! That's okay!" as if this will motivate me to let her pet him?? I just smiled and said "No it's not" and walked away. Too many people think jumping is "okay" for my tastes. I cannot stand jumping so trying to curb him of that, as well as trying to teach him to be calm (he loves everything and gets so excitable!)

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
If you have any sense at all you can tell by looking at the person if a meet and greet is wanted or not. I enjoy stopping and talking to other dog walkers and letting our dogs smell each other, however, I can tell by the person's face if this is also something they too enjoy. If not, Carley and I pass without any issues.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts