Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a fenced in yard with the usual trees, grass and flowers. Gorky runs around freely in the backyard. Yesterday, we found the first tick on Gorky. I have a few questions. My dog uses frontline plus. What if anything can I use in the yard to eliminate the ticks without harming the dog? We understand we have no control outside of our property when Gorky plays and takes its walks. There are no deer that come into our property. Gorky is a dark poodle and it is extremely hard to find the ticks. I assume we are going to have to massage the body and look for ticks everyday. What are your opinions on the subject?

·
Registered
12,489 Posts
I use Frontline Combo, which "Eliminates ticks, and prevents reinfestation for up to 2 weeks". So far - fingers crossed - we have not had a problem, but I knew a dog in the tropics that was so badly, and repeatedly, infested with cattle ticks that the owners had to rehome him to someone in town, where they were less prevalent. I would ask my vet's advice - and meanwhile invest in a tick remover, and a thorough comb through every day.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
My Mini breeder lives on an acreage in the country. She told me that she buys something called Konk. She sprays it on her dogs. She said she even sprays it high over their heads and lets the spray fall down on the dogs. She lives in Saskatchewan and gets it at her local Coop, but I googled it and you can find it on the Internet.

She says it does a really good job on dogs and horses as well as humans.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
We use konk in our barn. It does flies not sure about ticks

Your best option is the topical one spot things. Do warn though that then you might find the ticks on your furniture as they don't bite the dog but get carried around.

Horrid things

·
Registered
681 Posts
I use K9 advantix, and we DO find ticks in the house since the dogs have carried them in. To cut back on biting bugs/insects/ticks, we spray our teeny yard with Cedar spray. We attach it to the hose and then spray it to let it dry. It works pretty well. The backyard then smells like a hamster cage for a day, but whatever it takes to keep the critters out of my house!

·
Registered
319 Posts
I want to share a tick related mistake that my mom and I made in the hopes of preventing someone else from going through the same experience. Growing up we used Frontline on our dogs, and were careful to keep the system up to date so that it would be effective. Our little westies, never went to a park or wooded areas (my parents have half an acre fenced grass yard that we romped around in instead) so we got lax in checking for ticks, assuming that Frontline would take care of the problem. One of our westies, Freida, got lymes disease and ended up brain damaged after a stroke - the onset of the disease was incredibly fast - in three hours she went from normal to very ill. She pulled through but was never really "with the program" afterwards.

I'm not posting this to scare anyone, but to emphasizing the importance of checking for ticks even when using a frontline type system. Also, take a moment during tick season to familiarize yourself with the symptoms of lymes disease. It is possible that Freida was walking a bit stiffly before getting ill, I don't remember noting anything unusual at the time, but she was getting older at that point and may have just attributed it to age.

I have attached the link with info on lymes disease in dogs:

Lyme Disease in Dogs | PetMD

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
I have a fenced in yard with the usual trees, grass and flowers. Gorky runs around freely in the backyard. Yesterday, we found the first tick on Gorky. I have a few questions. My dog uses frontline plus. What if anything can I use in the yard to eliminate the ticks without harming the dog? We understand we have no control outside of our property when Gorky plays and takes its walks. There are no deer that come into our property. Gorky is a dark poodle and it is extremely hard to find the ticks. I assume we are going to have to massage the body and look for ticks everyday. What are your opinions on the subject?
K9 Advantix is the best

1 - 7 of 7 Posts