Poodle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone As i said in my intro about two weeks ago we adopted (i used the word adopted but that might be misleading we actually purchased them from a breeder) two 4 month old Standard puppies. I have a 9 year old tiny toy poodle Mikey i've had him since he was 8 weeks old. We got our first Standard Max when he was about 17 months old someone just gave him to my groomer and she didn't want him so we took him.He was my first experience with a Standard and i fell in love with the breed. Max was very timid and took him a long time (almost a year) to settle in and act like he knew he belonged here we tried everything to make him feel welcome. I don't think he got much attention or affection at his first home so he was very standoffish. Max is about 5 now and loves other dogs and loves to play unfortunately Mikey wants no part of that, so thats when i decided we'll get Max a brother to play with. We contacted the breeder that Max come from and he told me he had two older pups (4 months old) and a bunch of little ones. We decided an older pup might be a good choice, based on our schedules so we go down to pick our puppy the breeder has the two littermates waiting for us when we get there. They were both adorable we decided which pup we wanted we feel really bad about separating the two because there so bonded but we were just there to get one puppy, so we pay for the pup get our paper work and put our new puppy in the car as his little brother watched :-( . well what took place when he seen his brother leaving was so sad i couldn't stand it and bought his brother too. So Tuesday we go to have them neutered one of them has a little diarrhea nothing very alarming i was on the way to the vet anyway . I get to my Vets tell him what happened he looks at their shot record (they had all their shots except rabies before they left the breeders) and says it might be Parvovirus i say how could it be Parvovirus they had all their shots and haven't been anywhere but our backyard since we got them . Well sure enough he has Parvovirus my Vet's opinion is that they were given their shots too early. So right now we are fighting to save his life .My vets prognosis is very bleak 50/50 chance of surviving he says the only thing to do right now is to keep him hydrated ( IV fluids) and on antibiotics. I decided to take him home and treat him here I am a Surgical Tech and can handle the medical part of his treatment at home rather than leave him at the vets in a cold kennel with strangers, and if the worst happens i don't want him to be alone. Now were just keeping a close eye on his brother and praying he does not come down with Parvo so far so good. BTW we named them Maverick and Goose from the movie Top Gun (Husbands idea not mine ill give them nicknames later that will stick) Goose is the sick one but today he is actually holding his head up he hasn't done that since Wednesday i hope this is a sign he getting better but its just wait and see right now. Sorry this is such a long post i just wanted to put this info out there and see if any of you guys have any advise or info on this to share. My pups got their shots at 5.5 weeks 8 weeks and 11.5 weeks not the 6-8, 10-12, 14-16 weeks recommended. My vet says the immunity the puppy get's from their mother drops off at 17 weeks thats why it is so important to give the last shot between 14-16 weeks. The breeder stands behind his vaccination schedule. All i know is i have a puppy with parvo, who has had all his shots and very limited exposure to the outside world his first symptom showed up 13 days after i got him from the breeder who btw "guarantees" he didn't leave his kennel with parvo .

·
Registered
448 Posts
Oh my gosh, there is so much to reply to!
First I am so sorry to hear of Goose having parvo. It is a horrible and painful illness and yes, it's pretty much 50/50! But you are seeing an improvement so that is very positive. I'd call your vet and see if they can give you a high dose of Vit C to put in his IV also. It can make the difference! (experience here when we rescued a SP with parvo, he shouldn't have made it but he did)

You have a vet that knows the proper vaccine schedule, that is good. Yes, puppies started way too early, and the last should have been given after 16 weeks old, so important!

If your breeder is telling you that he didn't get contact it while with them, count the days. Pretty much parvo appears within 10 days. It is possible you have it in your backyard too. It could have been picked up in numerous places by your adult dog too. (I never walk in my home after visiting places other dogs have been until I bleach the soles of my shoes, ever!) Parvo is tough to kill, and the incidence of parvo is highest in the spring and fall.

Sending positive vibes your way for a full recovery and you don't see his brother come down with it.
Please keep us posted!
And WELCOME!

Karen

·
Registered
752 Posts
Oh my heart just goes out to you. This must be soooo hard. I don't have any suggestions or insight, just sending prayers and positive thoughts your way.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I'm so sorry. I hope that Goose pulls through!! It is so hard when a furry family member is so very ill. I'll be praying for you and your family

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for the advise and good wishes i called my Vet today and got some Vit-C we started Goose on it this afternoon . Goose is holding his own he seems to be a little stronger than he was this morning which is very encouraging he was so sick yesterday.Maverick is doing great no signs of Parvo hope we dodged the bullet with him.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Oh my heart just goes out to you. This must be soooo hard. I don't have any suggestions or insight, just sending prayers and positive thoughts your way.
^^My exact thoughts^^

I HOPE this passes. Prayers coming your way! On a positive. I love the names you chose.:)

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
Been thinking about Goose and hoping for some good news... How's he doing?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
HI I am so happy to say that my little Goose has been getting better by the hour. Today he was looking for food and water! He hadn't wanted anything since Friday,my Vet said to start him off with some lean ground beef and rice he ate about a 1/2 cup of that and has been drinking water on and off all day. He's even trying to play with his brother.The Vet said he if keeps up this pace we will discontinue the IV tomorrow evening. I really thought i was going to loose him he was so sick the speed of his recovery has been amazing he got better as quick as he got sick gosh that parvo is scary. Maverick is fine as a matter of fact he made it his business to dig up my whole strawberry patch today ! Ill post pic as soon as i can get some good ones ....Margaret

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
That's great news Margaret! Maybe he had SOME small bit of immunity from his vaccinations and he didn't get quite as sick as he could have. Praying for continued improvement and growing strength for Goose!

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
Well I am a person of faith, so maybe it is all the prayers that have been going up for wee Goose. Whatever it is, I am so happy for you that things aren't looking so bleak, and that Goose seems to be on the mend! WHEW!!

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Wow this is just the best news ever. I am so glad all is going so well.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts