Poodle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:bird: For some reason, I find myself cruising Craigslist for standard poodles. I don't know why I do it, I just do. There are hardly ever any listed in my area. I have 2 spoos, we are not looking for another...at least not now. What do I find? A gorgeous black standard female, 3 years old--very close to home. What do I do? Call and ask about her! Why you ask?? I don't KNOW!! I guess the only logical explanation for my whim is that I feel like someone who doesn't know poodles could adopt her not knowing how much work the breed requires, and then she could end up even worse off. I mean we certainly can afford another dog, that's not the issue. I am a stay-at-home parent, so I am available all day for another pet. The guy actually sounded pretty knowledgable about spoos, and was really really happy that I called. He sounded relieved to speak to someone that already has spoos. He really just wants to find a great home for her. I told him that I would talk it over with my husband, and give him a call next week to let him know either way. Obviously we would need to see how she gets along with our kids and other dogs, and that would be the deciding factor. So please tell me.....am I nuts? I would love for my fellow spoo lovers to weigh the pros and cons with me, and talk me into it, or talk me out of it!! If we do end up getting her, 3 is my absolute limit!! Boy--whoever said spoos are like potato chips was right!! You can't have just one! (or two.......)

·
Registered
207 Posts
Good luck with your decision and keep us posted!

I was re-reading your post and cracking up because your cute little smiley faced guy is giving us the finger. I think I made that mistake once because I thought it was a wave.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
You're not nuts, you're a POODLE JUNKIE! :D

Good luck with whatever you decide. Having three can't be that much more trouble than having two.

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
Trust me, having just added canine number five to our home, going from number two to number three is easy. Going from three to four is when I thought I had lost my mind, then from four to five is easy again. Go with your heart. This could be the best thing that ever happened to you! Best of luck whatever your decision is.

·
Super Moderator
2,956 Posts
I do the same thing... cruise local want ads for standard poodles needing rescued! :) I won't "purchase" a puppy from a byb (been there, done that with my daughter's spoo) but if someone has a dog that just needs a new home... wellll....

I've made it clear to my husband that if I ever do bring another spoo home from the want ads, it would be just a foster situation - for example, my daughter and I rescued Dolce from a family who just could not care for him anymore - this guy lived a the end of a chain, no fenced yard, no walks... We had Dolce for about a month when a co-worker adopted him from us. Then there was a cream spoo about 100 miles from here. I corresponded with the owner who said she had rescued him from a neglect situation and because they were a military family and were expecting orders to move soon - she thought she should try to find him a more permanent situation... I told her that if she found a TERRIFIC family to go ahead and place him, but if time got tight and she hadn't found him a home yet, we'd take him and continue the interviews with interested parties until he could find a family who knew what they were getting into by adopting a big poodle! Luckily, she was able to find a great home and she didn't need to send him my way - but I'm still always on the lookout for standard poodles needing a loving home (even if it would be only temporary here...)

Someday I would love another standard poodle, but with 4 dogs in the house right now (2 are non-poodles) we're at our limit...

Good luck with your decision - you'll know if it's right for your family!!

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I agree once you make it past two, what is one more or two or three ha,ha!:giggle:

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Three is good! I have four (2 spoos)now and do exactly what you do! LMAO! I believe spoos are a bit addictive!! I look at breeders more often than craigs list - and I know a couple breeders with litters coming and it's so tempting!! Go for it!

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Hmmm. Im going to be the nay-sayer on this one. Sorry. First, i think it is a major gamble to go with 3 females when none of them have really hit their full maturity. You already say that your two girls are pretty uncontrollable together, and that you have to take them for walks seperately. I would seriously think about Not getting this girl. Good luck whatever you do though!!

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
its true! you can't just have one. I am having quite a barking problem though now that I am in the two rooms downstairs right near the street - oy! Teddy is driving me crazy - I can control ginger but not Teddy!

·
Registered
243 Posts
My thoughts are to go with your gut instincts. When I added my second spoo it was the best thing I did for Cooper and our family.

And oh my, I must be nuts too because I most certainly want another in the near future.:)

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
My thoughts are to go with your gut instincts. When I added my second spoo it was the best thing I did for Cooper and our family.

And oh my, I must be nuts too because I most certainly want another in the near future.:)
BUCK!!!! Where have you been?? Lovely to see you here. Hoping all is well with you.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts