Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I said never again after doing the floor in my bedroom, and what am I bloody doing now?! My living room/dining room! Which is, like, TWICE the size! WHY?!
With all the furniture and stuff I will be doing one half of the room (dining room) so I can move all the furniture to the other side (living room), and then once the one side is done, I'll move everything over to the other side. Wish me and my body luck.

My bedroom in case anyone didn't see it
Before

After

Starting on the living room (carpet was the same color as bedroom)

My current 'living space'

·
Premium Member
4,029 Posts
If the results are anything like your bedroom, it will be worth all the hard work! Good luck on your project.

·
Premium Member
9,622 Posts
One improvement leads to another. Trust me, from my fixer-upper experience it is not a bad thing. While you have momentum, do it! I regret that I ran out of momentum on my kitchen tile floor. Tile is a lot of dust, noise and disruption:(

·
Registered
10,294 Posts
At least now you know how long you can work at one time before your back is killing you. So just take it gradually. It'll look spectacular! Good luck. And no, you're not insane. You just want nice surroundings.

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
Oh but the sense of accomplishment will feel soooooooo GOOD! hahaha!!

·
Registered
6,730 Posts
Go for it ! You’re adding value to your house, so it’s worth it. And you’re cheap labor too, you’re lucky !

I have to pay for every little thing I need done and it’s costing me a fortune.

Can’t wait to see the results !

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks guys. and OMG there is NO linoleum under the floor this time!

And That made the carpet guys WAY less staple happy, AND the staples came out so much easier! After a vacuum I'm ready to lay the flooring already!! (In the dining room, not the living room)

And one of the big reasons I wanted to do this now is because I don't want the carpet when I bring home a new puppy at the end of the year or next year cause with an elderly dog that is sometimes a bit senile and 'it's ok to pee in the house' randomly the carpet would be a way to enticing place for the wee puppy to wee on haha.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is the progress made tonight. I really need to buy a 'square' as I just tend to get things SLIGHTLY off of being perfectly straight. So sometimes I have to recut it which wastes product and time.

·
Registered
12,362 Posts
Definitely not insane - just learning from experience that most DIY jobs take at least twice as long as originally planned. I put laminate click flooring all three of my bedrooms with the help of a friend over several weekends - the complicated bit was ensuring one room was emptied of furniture while still giving adequate access to two beds and the bath! If your muscles and joints are not in tip top condition it is worth taking an anti inflammatory before starting work, and doing stretching and warm up exercises too - my sister highly recommends a sequence of bends and running that looks faintly ridiculous but has worked wonders for her gardening stamina.

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
You are doing great! It will look so nice when you are all finished. I have to hire work out now, well in fact for several years. My husband use to do all kids of things from tree cutting, splitting firewood to anything in the house. I took over some things like all the lan mowing, trimming etc and minor things in house. Now I have to hire someone for anything. In fact I think I am going to need to hire someone to empty my attic, I don't think I can get up and down those pulldown steps anymore, plus once you get up there is a bit of a pain getting in the right spot and to get down you kind of need to sit and back up into a space to get back on the stairs. I think now that I am remembering I will need to get someone. Good luck don't work too hard at one time and you will get it done. I can't wait to see the finished floor.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Done the dining room!

Which I think was a bit smaller than the rest of the room (living room) Plus I have so much garbage and recycling and such from this all. Ugh. Haha. Hoping to at least get the carpet and underlay up today yet.
I want to bath Asher tomorrow as we're doing a fun obedience match on thursday after work

·
Registered
12,362 Posts
It looks stunning! And there is great satisfaction in the sort out it forces you to do - you may even end up with empty cupboard space!

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
Wow that looks lovely and a nice contrast with your furniture too! I think you are getting better and faster with each room, lol. Now on to the living room. I hope there isn't any surprises under the carpet, thats the worst part. I ripped carpet in out spare room and my pen was to tile it, so off to Home Depot I went and got all the tile. Then I realized how difficult it would be to keep it flat as the concrete flooring had some "pot holes" so I ended up hiring someone to do it. Not a total expert but he did a nice job, then my daughter decided she would like that room to be her bedroom, and so it is.

·
Registered
10,294 Posts
Very striking! Good job!

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks everyone. Today I got all the tack strips up and staples out. Then started laying floor. I didn’t get as far as I thought I would. Maybe got 6ft laid?? The living room is a couple feet wider than the living room and it doesn’t line up QUITE as nice so one row takes 2 cut pieces and the other row takes 1 cut piece.
Not sure how much I’ll get done tomorrow as I’m going to a fun obedience match. I’m kinda thinking I won’t be able to do much. Matches can take forever. And I have done NO training in the last few days since I’ve been working on my floor so... gonna fail at the match haha.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts