Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #1
Am I Famous Now?

I

I was born eight weeks ago. One of ten. My daddy was very famous. I have lots of half brothers and sisters. My mother is famous too. She told me that after she got famous, she has only had puppies. No more loving hands, no more fun trips... just puppies. She is always sad when they leave her.

II

I left home today. I didn't want to go, so I hid behind my mama and my three litter mates that were left. I didn't like you. But they said one day I would be famous. I wonder; is famous the same as fun and good times? So you picked me up and carried me away, even though you were concerned about me hiding from you. I don't think you really liked me.

III

My new home is far away. I am scared and afraid. My heart says BE BRAVE. My ancestors were. Did they go to good homes like mine? I'm waiting patiently for it to start being good.

IV

I'm often a little hungry because they say I'll get fat if I eat too much. They're kind of fat, so why do they care if I get a little fat?

I can't bite or snap when the children are mean to me. I just run and play and pretend I am in a big green field with butterflies and robins and frogs.

I can't understand why they hit and kick me.

I am quiet, but the man hits and says loud things.

The lady doesn't feed me good like I had with my mother. She just throws dry food on the ground, then goes away before I can get too close for touching and petting. Sometimes my food smells bad but I eat it anyway, and my water bowl is always dirty.

V

I had my first cycle two months ago, and today I had 10 puppies! Giving birth was really hard, but they are so wonderful and warm. Am I famous now? I wish I could play with them because I'm like a puppy myself, but they are so tiny. I am so young and playful that it is hard to lay here in this small crate in a dark room they call a basement room, nursing my puppies.

VI

The mean people gave away my healthiest and most beautiful daughter three days ago; she's not really as healthy as I'd like, but she's the strongest.

I couldn't see who they gave her to because they kept me and my other babies out of sight, but I thought I heard the new lady's voice choke up with tears. They asked her why she was tearful and she told them it was because she was so happy to get my puppy. Something about her voice sounded like a lie, but I don't know why. It makes me worry... maybe she's mean too.

After she left I could hear my owners laughing and sounding happy. They come downstairs after awhile and the man says, 'more puppies more money', but I don't know what that means. He's holding a bottle in his hand and I hope he doesn't throw it at me like he's done before, and his tone makes me scared. The lady gives me a big bowl of food and more water which I really need, and tell me to fatten up my puppies. Then they leave, laughing, but it's not a joyful laugh, they sound mean to my ears. When they hold on their bottles which they often do, they forget about feeding me, so I'm not sure I'll be fed tomorrow.

VII

It's been three days and my babies are crying now. It's dawn and am so hungry. I scratch and worry about my fur, and I've been losing weight for a while but I don't think my owners noticed. I wish one of them would bring me another bowl of food. I am also very thirsty.

I now have seven babies left. Two got cold during the night and I couldn't make them warm again. I moved their bodies to the corner but they are gone. We are all very weak. Maybe if I could escape and take them out to the porch, we can get some food, but there is no escape. My barks are ignored.

VIII

What's that noise? It must be noon as I awaken to hearing a lot of yelling upstairs. The voices are from strangers, but no, wait - one of the voices is from the lady that took my daughter. Maybe she brought back my daughter! I hope so.

The strangers came down and they are all dressed alike. They took pictures of us. One calmed me with his voice and I let him put on a collar and leash. Then another one gently picked up my puppies and put them in a carrier held by another; my babies were crying and whimpering and I got very upset and began to bark, but the man kept saying, sshh, it's alright, you're safe now.

They took us outside. They were in a hurry and I guess it was too much trouble to feed and water us first.

We were all put in a truck, but I before I was put in the truck, I saw the mean people who I lived being put in a car with flashing lights. They had their hands tied, and the lady who didn't really like me was crying and lying that she loved us. The man was cursing her and me too.

The lady's who voice I recognized that took my daughter came over to me. She was crying and tried to pet me but I was scared and pulled back and gave a little growl. She said "There, there, your baby will be okay. I promise. I hope you will be okay too."

Then one of people all dressed alike said we had to go now.

IX

The new place smells of urine, fear and sickness. Why am I here? Where are my babies? Are they famous now? I hope so, because I miss them, they are the only joy I've had in my life since being with my mother and siblings. I haven't seen my babies since we were left the truck. In my heart I fear I'll never see them again, but I don't know if they are gone like my two who died or if they are okay.

As the first few days pass, I think how I was beautiful like my ancestors. The new people showered me off but my fur is matted; I am sick, in pain and unwanted. I've started coughing a lot and there are worms in my poo which is bloody.

I have food but haven't felt like eating much in the week I've been here. I heard someone say 'she needs another bath and grooming'. I gave a little wag of my tail but the other person said, 'she's too sick for all that', and used the word 'budget' a lot, like a budget is a problem. I wish I could help them with their budget problem if it meant I could get better.

Maybe then I could find a home because the worst is not feeling sick or in pain, but being unwanted. The days go by but no one comes for me even though I try to be good and hide that I am terribly lonely and scared.

X

Today someone came! They put a rope on my neck and led me to a room that is very clean and has a shiny table. They put me on the table. Someone is holding and hugging me. It feels so good!!!

Now I feel tired as I lay in the arms of someone who cares.

As I fall asleep, I hear the person holding me say that everyone will know about me and what happened to me. I know I am famous now.

Today someone cared.

~Author unknown, story modified by me

Registered
Heartbreaking. I thought about this beautiful pup and her sad fate all night. It's all too common and tragic.

Registered
That just rips my heart out! I am thinking about puppies I bred many years ago and tried so very hard to ensure that they went to good homes. Most of them certainly did - I would hear about them from their new owners. The very best thing was when someone would come back 12-15 years later and want another dog because they loved the first one so much.

Now that I am about to breed one more litter, I'm glad that there are already people asking for one of Zoe's puppies. There should be enough good homes where a mini poodle will be loved and will get to play in agility, rally, or obedience (Zoe is very popular with our obedience club members!)

Registered
:cry: What a heartbreaking story! Worse knowing it鈥檚 a reality for some poor pups ?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts