Poodle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok...jessie is going for her 2nd re-ck to see if she is fully out of her false pregnancy. if she is....well, then she is scheduled for her spay on wednesday. WHY IS THIS UPSETTING ME SO MUCH?

my RATIONAL head is saying i KNOW it is so much healthier for her to be spayed. my rational head is saying she's not a good candidate for breeding b/c i just don't know enough about her background & as beautiful as she is, i still don't know anything about her line.

my EMOTIONAL head is saying she would be such a great mother. and if we breed her my husband will let me keep one of her babies so i know i will have a part of her for even longer than her lifespan (hopefully). if i don't spay her no way will my husband let me get another spoo just yet. too much going on in our lives which the caregiving we do for my mom and my uncle, to a degree. (i know the second part of this is a flimsy reason).

and THIRD - i'm afraid something will happen to her during the spay. she's a sensitive dog and i have to leave her overnight. they love her at my vet's office and i know them there.

am i being silly or just plain crazy??????????

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Breeding her is the worse than getting her spayed. The likelihood of problems arising while giving birth or not spaying are higher than with a spay.

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
ok...jessie is going for her 2nd re-ck to see if she is fully out of her false pregnancy. if she is....well, then she is scheduled for her spay on wednesday. WHY IS THIS UPSETTING ME SO MUCH?

my RATIONAL head is saying i KNOW it is so much healthier for her to be spayed. my rational head is saying she's not a good candidate for breeding b/c i just don't know enough about her background & as beautiful as she is, i still don't know anything about her line.

my EMOTIONAL head is saying she would be such a great mother. and if we breed her my husband will let me keep one of her babies so i know i will have a part of her for even longer than her lifespan (hopefully). if i don't spay her no way will my husband let me get another spoo just yet. too much going on in our lives which the caregiving we do for my mom and my uncle, to a degree. (i know the second part of this is a flimsy reason).

and THIRD - i'm afraid something will happen to her during the spay. she's a sensitive dog and i have to leave her overnight. they love her at my vet's office and i know them there.

am i being silly or just plain crazy??????????

I have the same fears when I have to do something surgical with my Whippets. I freak, because they have to be treated with TLC because of their lack of body fat, etc. They are not great candidates for anesthetic. But it has all worked out, and Spoos are not prone to being anesthetic senstive as a general rule.

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
You're a whole big BUCKET of crazy!!! :lol: JKJKJK!!! I think most of us pet owners dream about having babies with the pets we love soooo much (and of course we're all dog lovers on here - so a litter of baby poodles sounds like such a GOOD thing!!)

I love my Lucy as if she's been part of my life forever (and we've only had her for 6 months!!) I also believe that she's sooo beautiful and would have had gorgeous baby spoos... but... BECAUSE I love her so much, I would never, ever, ever put her through that!! I was never so happy when she had developed sufficiently to parade her into my vet's office for her spay and gastropexy (the gastropexy was another gift I gave to her in addition to ensuring she'd always be a happy, healthy PET. If she ever - God forbid - suffers a case of bloat, her stomach has been stapled into place so it should not twist which would endanger her life even more!!)

There are just a few very special gifts that I will bestow onto each and every pet I ever welcome into my life (besides daily love and care, along with the best food and I can afford) and they are:

1.) Spaying or neutering to prevent instinctual mating behaviors and associated health concerns with intact animals; as well has not having to endure pregnancy, whelping, weaning, etc - which didn't look entirely FUN to me when I've witnessed it! :wacko: :)
2.) Boundaries and clear rules in my home so they always know their place in our family
3.) My presence at their side when/if a decision has been made to end any suffering that cannot be assuaged with reasonable veterinary intervention. I will be with them at the end...

Good luck with your decision... (my vote is for spay!) :)

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You're a whole big BUCKET of crazy!!! JKJKJK!!! I think most of us pet owners dream about having babies with the pets we love soooo much (and of course we're all dog lovers on here - so a litter of baby poodles sounds like such a GOOD thing!!)

I love my Lucy as if she's been part of my life forever (and we've only had her for 6 months!!) I also believe that she's sooo beautiful and would have have gorgeous baby spoos... but... BECAUSE I love her so much, I would never, ever, ever put her through that!! I was never so happy when she had developed sufficiently to parade her into my vet's office for her spay and gastropexy (the gastropexy was another gift I gave to her in addition to ensuring she'd always be a happy, healthy PET. If she ever - God forbid - suffers a case of bloat, her stomach has been stapled into place so it should not twist which would endanger her life even more!!)

There are just a few very special gifts that I will bestow onto each and every pet I ever welcome into my life (besides daily love and care, along with the best food and I can afford) and they are:

1.) Spaying or neutering to prevent instinctual mating behaviors and associated health concerns with intact animals; as well has not having to endure pregnancy, whelping, weaning, etc - which didn't look entirely FUN to me when I've witnessed it!
2.) Boundaries and clear rules in my home so they always know their place in our family
3.) My presence at their side when/if a decision has been made to end any suffering that cannot be assuaged with reasonable veterinary intervention. I will be with them at the end...

Good luck with your decision... (my vote is for spay!) :)
ok, plumcrazy - you brought tears to my eyes with that # 3. thanx for the distraction :fish: . makes thinking of spaying a walk in the park...so i will trust this is all routine :pray2: and it will all be fine.

i appreciate all of you reeling me back to reality :grouphug:

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
I'll keep Jessie in my thoughts too - hoping for an uneventful surgery and a speedy recovery! :) If you consider that spay recovery is no more than a couple of weeks at the MOST, it's a blink of an eye compared to waiting through heats until she'd be old enough to breed safely, a couple of months of pregnancy, a minimum of 8 weeks of pooping puppies underfoot, etc, etc, etc... Can you imagine your stress level THEN?? :lol:

After Lucy's surgery, she didn't seem to notice or worry about her incision very much at all. I kept her on leash for outside forays for a few days so she wouldn't run and jump and wrestle with Meau, but after that; she did well even with the running and jumping! I removed her stitches at about 12 days (the vet said 10 to 14 days, so I split the difference!) :) Her incision was larger than a traditional spay because of the gastropexy, but even with a few more stitches - she recovered quickly and with no ill effects! I'll pray for the same for Jessie! :hug:

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I've never heard anyone say a dog is 100% like either one of it's parents in personality. Dogs get only half of their genes from their mother and their environment helps to form them too. You will not get a "Jessie Jr" if you breed her. Once you realize that, what is really the point of breeding her so you can keep one puppy? Not to mention she won't have just one puppy. Where will the other pups go? How will you ensure that they don't end up in neglectful homes, puppymills or "doodle" programs? How can you tell someone not to breed one of these puppies when you did that yourself? How will you sort through all potential puppy buyers and figure out who will provide a forever home and who will drop the dog off at the local shelter when it's inconvienent? What if someone's life changes and they need to return a 4 yr old dog? You will already have two of your own and what if the returned dog hasn't been properly trained and socialized?

Do you have Jessie's pedigree? Were her parents health tested? Were their parents health tested? Do you know if Addisons, bloat and/or epilepsy run in her lines? How will you feel if you produce a puppy w/ a serious health issue? What will you tell the owner who has to deal w/ sick dog? Will you help w/ the cost of meds or hip surgery? What if one of the puppies dies b/c of a genetic health issue?

The very fact that you can breed her when you know she isn't a candidate for breeding is a bad sign. It means she didn't come from a bloodline that's worth protecting. I'm guessing her breeder didn't have a spay/neuter contract and sold full registration to anyone who wanted it. Have her spayed and don't add to the multitude of BYB Poodles already in need of a home or the health problems in the breed. Consider adopting one of those Poodles or at least buy your second Poodle from a responsible breeder.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've never heard anyone say a dog is 100% like either one of it's parents in personality. Dogs get only half of their genes from their mother and their environment helps to form them too. You will not get a "Jessie Jr" if you breed her. Once you realize that, what is really the point of breeding her so you can keep one puppy? Not to mention she won't have just one puppy. Where will the other pups go? How will you ensure that they don't end up in neglectful homes, puppymills or "doodle" programs? How can you tell someone not to breed one of these puppies when you did that yourself? How will you sort through all potential puppy buyers and figure out who will provide a forever home and who will drop the dog off at the local shelter when it's inconvienent? What if someone's life changes and they need to return a 4 yr old dog? You will already have two of your own and what if the returned dog hasn't been properly trained and socialized?

Do you have Jessie's pedigree? Were her parents health tested? Were their parents health tested? Do you know if Addisons, bloat and/or epilepsy run in her lines? How will you feel if you produce a puppy w/ a serious health issue? What will you tell the owner who has to deal w/ sick dog? Will you help w/ the cost of meds or hip surgery? What if one of the puppies dies b/c of a genetic health issue?

The very fact that you can breed her when you know she isn't a candidate for breeding is a bad sign. It means she didn't come from a bloodline that's worth protecting. I'm guessing her breeder didn't have a spay/neuter contract and sold full registration to anyone who wanted it. Have her spayed and don't add to the multitude of BYB Poodles already in need of a home or the health problems in the breed. Consider adopting one of those Poodles or at least buy your second Poodle from a responsible breeder.
just for the record - my intelligent, rational mind knows all of this, obviously, that is why i am getting her spayed.

it was my emotional side that was appealing for help and i got it - again, thanks to all of you who understood that and responded in a way letting me know you understand.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll keep Jessie in my thoughts too - hoping for an uneventful surgery and a speedy recovery! :) If you consider that spay recovery is no more than a couple of weeks at the MOST, it's a blink of an eye compared to waiting through heats until she'd be old enough to breed safely, a couple of months of pregnancy, a minimum of 8 weeks of pooping puppies underfoot, etc, etc, etc... Can you imagine your stress level THEN?? :lol:

After Lucy's surgery, she didn't seem to notice or worry about her incision very much at all. I kept her on leash for outside forays for a few days so she wouldn't run and jump and wrestle with Meau, but after that; she did well even with the running and jumping! I removed her stitches at about 12 days (the vet said 10 to 14 days, so I split the difference!) :) Her incision was larger than a traditional spay because of the gastropexy, but even with a few more stitches - she recovered quickly and with no ill effects! I'll pray for the same for Jessie! :hug:
i am going to talk her vet today about the gastropexy and see what she says. bloat frightens me. just also realizing she won't be able to get her maintenance groom next week. hmmmmm....oh well, guess she 's gonna look like a portugese water dog again for a little while...lol

·
Registered
94 Posts
You are not being silly at all. Surgery is scary and when you love someone it is hard to see them in pain. You know you love her and she knows it too. Buy her a lovely toy for when you pick her up and in a few days she will be your happy healthy puppy again!

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
i am going to talk her vet today about the gastropexy and see what she says. bloat frightens me. just also realizing she won't be able to get her maintenance groom next week. hmmmmm....oh well, guess she 's gonna look like a portugese water dog again for a little while...lol
When I mentioned it to my vet before Lucy's spay, I didn't even have the question completely out of my mouth, before Dr. Amy was nodding her head and agreeing that we should do the gastropexy!! :lol: She said, "Well, as long as I'm going to be in the NEIGHBORHOOD..." It did add about $150 to the cost of the spay - but I look at it as a one-time insurance policy payment.

I'm quite anal about keeping Lucy's face, feet and fanny clipped (just ask Arreau!! :lol:) and it was driving me INSANE when I couldn't bathe and clip her during her recovery... but just remember... this too shall pass! I was happily shaving Lucy's fft once her stitches came out!

Good luck! Keeping you and Jessie in my thoughts!!

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
the owner of the vet hospital where i take jessie is a dear friend of mine. when he and his wife came from italy to start their veterinary careers, we worked together at a veterinary hospital. after several years, he left there and opened his own hospital. now that i have a dog in my life again, i go there. it is not too far from my home. all the vets he has there are very good. because of our history together, they are very generous with discounts and no charges when it comes to taking care of jessie. in fact, i was already told they would be discounting the whole spay charge by 25%. so i will talk to the dr today and see how much more this would entail for jessie. btw, while she is under the anesthesia, i asked dr sweeney to xray her hips for me. jessie is a very fast runner, when she runs in a circle her shoulder almost touches the floor. other dogs just can't catch her. however, i noticed after this last groom that she seems a bit heel hocked. the dr checked her out last week when we were there for her 1st post-false pregnancy ck up, and confirmed she is slight hocked but her hips felt very good from an exam point of view. she will confirm the situation after the xrays....

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
just for the record - my intelligent, rational mind knows all of this, obviously, that is why i am getting her spayed.

it was my emotional side that was appealing for help and i got it - again, thanks to all of you who understood that and responded in a way letting me know you understand.
I figured you did but needed reminding. It's so much more than cute, fluffy puppies.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Jessie's Mom,

There is nothing silly or crazy in worrying about making a major decision in a pet's life - even if it is for the best. I know I need to go to the dentist - but that does not mean I skip and hum the whole way there! However if this sets your mind at ease - our rescue greyhound was neutured without a problem (and they are notorious for anesthesia sensitivity), nor did we have a problem years ago with our tiny yorkie Mildred. We have also fostered greyhound girls who had gone through a breeding program and the wear and tear on them was sad to see - you really are giving a gift to your dog.
Will be keeping your dog in my thoughts.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I know exactly what you are going through,when I got my Sonja I bought her with intention of breeding her,she has a real nice pedigree tested parent the whole nine yards, I paid a small fortune for her and hubby always jokes she the golden pet because I paid for her by the oz.

But as she and I bonded there was something very special between us that you don't get with every dog that you have, sometimes I think she can read my mind.
So we went through several heat cycle and I kept making excuses as why it was not the right time to breed her ,truth is if anything every happened to her I don't know what I would do. So I set up her appt. to get spayed and them I started the same thing your feeling OMG will she be ok with the anesthetic ,what if she gets a infection and on and on... I am so glad that I did have it done now because babies would not have been worth my best friend in the world. Jessie will be fine take a deep breath and try and relax notice I said try....Good luck , with a great Mom to take care of her she will be back on her feet in no time.:)

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thank you again to all of you who took the time to share your own concerns and apprehensions. it does all boil down to the fear of losing them...i feel better knowing many of you were there and it all turned out just fine :biggrin1:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts