Poodle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spoke to a breeder of windhounds in my area, who has had two dogs die from Lyme disease. Some breeders don’t like the Lyme vaccine.
I have not read much about it. However, there is a new tick species in this area and it causes a devastating disease. A Lyme vaccine would-be ineffective.

When I had dogs years ago, I used Frontline and it was awful. My female used to choke from the odor. I really am averse to using chemicals. However, I am very concerned about getting a dog and having it infected with an incurable disease.

Are there any alternative products that work? Sometimes I’d like to take a flamethrower to my backyard. I’ve been rying to figure out a way to have a dog run around back there on artificial turf or something.

·
Registered
7,103 Posts
I would ask your vet what is effective in your area because what is working in my neck of the woods may not be appropriate for yours.

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
As Skylar said your local vet would be best to advise you, they pretty much know whats going on in the area. My vet also does some volunteer rescue, in as he will treat for low cost or free so he sees a lot.We have our dogs on nexgard, for fleas & ticks..no problems in 7 years. Heartgard for heart worm/worm prevention, again no issues. I don't like the topical preventions.

·
Registered
7,103 Posts
Like Mufar, I'm also using Nexguard and Heargard. Frontline is sold locally in the big box stores but not very effective.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Seresto collar was the answer for me - even though I hate pesticides I had to call defeat on all natural products because our area is the worst in the whole country for Lyme cases. For us the collar has been great - not a single tick and no reaction to the collar. In my reasoning choosing the collar over the topical was that in case of reaction you can always remove the collar immediately - with the topical or something you give orally not so much...

·
Premium Member
22,897 Posts
Moni I think we are pretty close to a photo finish on the level of ticks and tick borne diseases here on Long Island compared to the Hudson Valley. We have a Seresto collar on Peeves with no ticks and no adverse reactions. the poodles take Bravecto since I can't have extra collars on them in obedience trial rings. All three also take Interceptor Plus. Since the diseases transmitted by vectors can have horrible outcomes and adverse reactions to the controllers are really quite rare I will second the thoughts of others who have recommended asking your vet for recommendations on what to use based on resistance patterns and such in your area. Having had one dog with toxicity problems or other adverse reactions doesn't mean those problems will reoccur. The risks of adverse reactions to the diseases transmitted by fleas, ticks and mosquitoes have much higher probabilities.

Reactions: Moni

·
Premium Member
22,897 Posts
I do give the older Lyme vax to the poodles since we track in tick laden fields. I have a harder time with it all though since ticks love me.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Catherine - didn't realize you were into tracking! I was VP of the Hudson Valley Tracking Club for many years. Was taught by Anne Allbright Smith and did many tracking seminars with the club. All my dogs loved tracking. I am currently battling with another flare up of Lyme - it is just awful. I have had it 3 times full blown in the last 10 years. When I was an active runner it would get me the most often - more even than when out tracking. I guess because you don't check often enough if you just go out for a quick run. Never had a bull's eye rash - and have found ticks on me (attached - the crawling ones don't count) only about 3 or 4 times. Nothing in the last 6 months and yet...

·
Premium Member
22,897 Posts
Sadly I keep getting interrupted on tracking training (mostly by weather). I really want to get back to it. If Lily got a TD she would be an AKC VCD1 (versatile companion dog 1). It is hard to find places to work here and nobody wants to go out with me because they are all too afraid of ticks.

The last tick that took a meal on me was attached for probably at least 24 and maybe as long as 48 hours before I found it. It had attached right in the small of my back so I couldn't look for the rash, but I had BF look every day for a month. Thankfully no bulls eye and no signs or symptoms.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts