Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trixie is an anxious/nervous dog, and makes up for it by barking at EVERYTHING. Wondering if anyone has any suggestions for stopping it other than the "teach quiet with a treat" method.

Annie scratches, and bangs her elbow on the floor? Bark bark bark. Phone rings? Bark Bark bark. Talking to self in kitchen? Bark bark bark. Something clatters? Bark bark bark. Dog 10 houses down barks? Bark bark bark. Phone someone and say hello? Bark bark bark. Thump your elbow on the kitchen table? Bark bark bark. Garbage truck outside the house? Bark bark bark. Neighbours with a noisy truck come home? Bark bark bark. It's exhausting.

My mother is so used to it she doesn't even hear it any more. BUT she gets annoyed when Annie begins to join in, as Annie's bark is much louder than a yorkie bark and they feed on each other and continue longer. There is no way i am going to be able to stop Annie from barking without getting Trixie to stop barking, or at least bark less. Usually up to 5 barks, Trixie goes in alone, but after than, Annie joins in.

I've tried the "bark and then treat and then teach quiet method". One - my moms' not consistent enough about it, and 2) Trixie quickly starts barking at even MORE things as she is VERY treat motivated. I do think it's worse when she is bored. I successfully stopped middle of the night barking with Annie and the treat and quiet method, but it's not working for Trixie.

Any other suggestions for stopping the alarm barking? Desensitizing audio I could play, or something? Today I stopped it by singing loudly off tune, but that's not nice to the ears, either.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No clue. We dont have cable/satellite :) I play music when home alone, Mom cant stand ambient noise. Trixie is usually less barky when i am home alone, but no idea if the music is connected, and suspect not (she alerts to protect Mom, partially, i think, and, although an almost acceptable substitute, i am not as in need of warning).

·
Super Moderator
5,733 Posts
That reminds me of Gracie. She didn't bark if no one was home, but if I was here, she alerted to everything.

I loathe ambient noise, too, but maybe a few weeks of it could hit Trixie's reset button. Music doesn't seem to work. There needs to be distinct noises, like voices and sound effects. YouTube videos would work. Or do you have Netflix? Just anything to create a steady stream of lifelike noise. Even podcasts.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
She's so cute😢 I wonder if the alertness is part of the Yorkie temperament too PTP. If I remember correctly all Terriers are more alert. Can her vet maybe give her a anti-anxiety med? And your mom increase exercise for her? Maybe she can play with a tiny flirt pole?

·
Registered
12,575 Posts
How old is Trixie? Mine went through this when they hit the 10 month point - old enough to feel responsible for alerting the pack, but not yet experienced enough to know what was potentially dangerous and what was not. I used Turid Rugaas' method of acknowledging, checking and reassuring (in "Barking: the sound of a language"). It took a while, and they will still bark at really interesting sounds etc, but things improved considerably. Plus plenty of low stress exercise and relaxation of course. If she is less prone to barking when you are there I wonder if she feels you are more capable of protecting the den than your mother? Would your mother be up for stepping in between Trixie and Whatever-It-Is and providing calm reassurance?

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes - the breed is supposed to be very alert, but fearless (and, imo, dumb). Her last yorkie was described as "jumping into large dogs mouths" , chasing rats down storm sewers, etc. Trixie got the alert part in spades, but not the fearless part, she was the most incredibly nervous and fearful puppy i have ever met.

Does she get happy when someone comes over?
Ummm.... difficult question. She historically has been terrified of visitors, now she is very happy to see certain visitors, though still nervous. And still very afraid /cautious of other visitors.

A flirt pole is a great idea. We used to have one for her and she loved it. I should dig it out and use it when Annie is on the porch... remind mom about it as an option on lower energy days too.

How old is Trixie? Mine went through this when they hit the 10 month point - old enough to feel responsible for alerting the pack, but not yet experienced enough to know what was potentially dangerous and what was not. I used Turid Rugaas' method of acknowledging, checking and reassuring (in "Barking: the sound of a language"). It took a while, and they will still bark at really interesting sounds etc, but things improved considerably. Plus plenty of low stress exercise and relaxation of course. If she is less prone to barking when you are there I wonder if she feels you are more capable of protecting the den than your mother? Would your mother be up for stepping in between Trixie and Whatever-It-Is and providing calm reassurance?
Trixie is 5. Its a long term behaviour :) Possible about her thinking i am more capable, though back when she didnt know me as well, she would turn into "Dog in Wait Mode" and ignore me when Mom left me alone with her. She does that less now, but definitely still shuts down a bit. On walks, Annie is a huge confidence booster for her, she is so much easier to walk and less skittish if walked with Annie. There is definitely some "my big dog will protect me" going on.

I have tried the Thank You method, sometimes i do get between them and the noise, especially if they are telling me there is someone at the door (usually no one). Some days it works, some days less so. Perhaps i should try to do better at getting between them, but hard to do when it was ME banging my elbow or squeaking my foot on the floor.

Might discuss with Mom and remind her about the get between the 'scary' noise and the dog. I wonder now that you mention getting between Trixie and the noise if maybe if having Annie around is contributing? Trixie barks, continues barking until, Annie jumps up and barks and sometimes Trixie stops barking - bascically Annie has gotten between her and the noise and said "I'm on it!". Other times, of course, they join in and bark together.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I kind of wonder if barking is just a terrier thing. Pretty much every terrier I've known has slept with their ears at least partially up. Misty is apparently a vivid dreamer, and will chase things in her sleep, barking quietly. These dogs are ready to GO GO GO at a moment's notice, so maybe that's why? I made the mistake of teaching Misty to bark for the same reasons you did, and now when we do a training session, it's a barking free-for-all (although she has improved at that). However, once I learned how to tell if she is about to bark--she stiffens, stares, ears forwards, and once she lunges, it's past the point of no return--I am typically able to interrupt her thought process and turn it into something else instead (i.e. LAT, sit), then walk away from the Thing that is So Scary. She also barks less after getting exercise. I've also found that getting in between her and the Thing helps me to shut her off more quickly.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Yes - the breed is supposed to be very alert, but fearless (and, imo, dumb). Her last yorkie was described as "jumping into large dogs mouths" , chasing rats down storm sewers, etc. Trixie got the alert part in spades, but not the fearless part, she was the most incredibly nervous and fearful puppy i have ever met.
OMG what?? Did your mom get her from a good breeder? I'm wondering if it genetics, and she is neurotic? The dog that we tries to rescue before we got Sisko was neurotic.

Ummm.... difficult question. She historically has been terrified of visitors, now she is very happy to see certain visitors, though still nervous. And still very afraid /cautious of other visitors.

A flirt pole is a great idea. We used to have one for her and she loved it. I should dig it out and use it when Annie is on the porch... remind mom about it as an option on lower energy days too.
Okay. That has to be so cute! A yorkie playing with a flirt pole. Hope it goes well!

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
OMG what?? Did your mom get her from a good breeder? I'm wondering if it genetics, and she is neurotic? The dog that we tries to rescue before we got Sisko was neurotic.

Okay. That has to be so cute! A yorkie playing with a flirt pole. Hope it goes well!
Trixie is a BYB dog, and a large reason for my wanting an excellent breeder who focused on socialization and titled their dogs when i got Annie...

Even cuter? Its actually a cat flirt toy, with feathers.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Trixie is a BYB dog, and a large reason for my wanting an excellent breeder who focused on socialization and titled their dogs when i got Annie...

Even cuter? Its actually a cat flirt toy, with feathers.
Oh😬 I would try CBD first and than see about meds if the CBD doesn't work. That's what I did for Sisko. I get that! I should have actually gone with a different breeder, but my next dog will be from a great breeder.

😭melts

·
Premium Member
6,615 Posts
Hate to tell you CBD oil is only FDA approved for treating cancer and seizures, the anthing is anecdotal. Real CBD oil is expensive and free of what I refer to as herbs and spices.

Yorkies bark, they are terriers, dirt dogs originally bred to go after rats. Yorkie bark to alert you to things, here's my prey here's a rat. The need to be busy, they were after all bred to dig, dig and dig.
My mom and eldest niece had Yorkies, sweet dogs but barkie.

But l taught the old chi mix to bark at half volume, took a while but she learned with behavior marking and praise. I will point out that Gracie is is Ill bred and I went through the homeopathic treatments, pheromone collars, rescue remedy, she is on prozac and Trazodone now
20200918_182520.jpg

Here is the pointy eated devil she is 15 years old

1 - 20 of 22 Posts