Poodle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lucy is 9 years old and has been throwing up white foam little amounts since early sept. The ALT went from 100 to 280 while on denmoran. Took dog to ER and had ultra sound. Was told she had gallbladder mucus seal and poor girl had gallbladder removed. It also found a mass in her spleen took the spleen out.

The tissues for gallbladder and pathology on spleen mass was negative.

2 weeks later after recovery ALT was retested at 500 from primary vet. She sent me back to ER to see internist.

Internist tester folate level which was elevated. Indicator of a gastro disease. Suspects IBD. Is prescribed baytril antibiotic, anti nausea med and acid reflux med.

Dog has not thrown up in 4 days and had formed bowels.

Went back to vet and Now the ALT went to 650 and now had been prescribed a compounded liquid Steroid which doesn’t effect liver like prednisone would.

Dr is very highly regarded and seems more concerned with IBD to control to get ALT down.

Should I go for another opinion???

I would love some advice, stories anything! We are on our own here and I cherish Lucy she deserves better IMG_2833.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
Oh boy, I am so sorry for what you and Lucy are going through :'( With something so serious, I would get another opinion. For me in California, I would go to UC Davis vet school. Have you contacted your nearest vet school? Sending you and Lucy a hug!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the response-I have been pondering going to Davis as UC is 45 mins north. We are in the Bay Area. They are mega costly and am considering it but also just went thru a difficult ER place that took an organ that didn’t need to come out. I’m concerned for more unnecessary diagnostics.

Mostly worried about having to leave her there as she appears in perfect health.

Thank you

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
Oh, I am in the Bay Area too! I take my dogs to Adobe Animal Hospital--they have Los Gatos and Los Altos locations. Also, Sage in Campbell is a very highly recommended hospital for trickier cases.

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
I had a feeling she might be going to Sage. I do think I'd try Davis then. You can at least consult with them (i.e., not leave her there) and make whatever decisions you feel are best. I know I wouldn't stop until I felt like my dogs were getting the best care to be happy and comfortable.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I appreciate your kind thoughts and insights...it looks like I better make room on the credit card (haha)

Happy holidays and will let you know how she is doing!

·
Premium Member
9,619 Posts
First of all I’m am very sorry you and your girl is going through this. If a vet removed an organ from my dog, unnecessarily, it’s perfectly understandable to be wary and want a second opinion. It may be that all of the testing and lab work that has already been done will be enough and the UC Davis visit will clarify all the treatment options. Healing thoughts from Houston.

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
Thank you for keeping us posted. She is so precious and I hope she feels better soon (and that your credit card doesn't suffer too much!).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi everybody!

I have excellent holiday cheer to share...Lucy’s ALT went from 1055 to 200 in less than 12 days after she was put on prednisone and Ursodiol for a combo of possible liver hepatitis and IBD. It’s a miracle!

Lucy has been acting odd and odder on the steroids-constantly starring at me for hours and an appetite of someone with the munchies x10 but it’s a gift from god. Today I really thought she was in trouble and took her back to get an exam and blood work. We are so thrilled that ALT is
Down drastically

·
Registered
10 Posts
That is super! I've been following this thread. Mine has been going through something similar but I'm pretty sure hep is ruled out. They've doubled her prednasone dose today, we did get some improvement 36 hours ago with a shot every 24 hours. But shes regressing on us. Feeding tube is in for now.

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
Thrilled to hear this news!!! Did you take her to Davis? How was she properly diagnosed? And oh yes, steroids will give them the munchies and make them drink and pee a TON!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Praying for you Mollydog. I’m so sorry for what your going thru as well. I feel it every min.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts