Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that as a breed, poodles are supposed to be aloof with strangers. Did your poodle start out very friendly as a puppy then turn more aloof as he aged? Jäger is sooooooooo friendly with strangers. He almost seems hurt if people walking past us don't stop to pet him. He's the same was with other dogs, he just LOVES other dogs. He has been this way since I brought him home (he's 11 months old now).

Do you think he will always be this way, or will he change as he gets older? I don't care anyway, people are always delighted by his friendly enthusiasm... I was just curious what other people have experienced.

·
Registered
12,098 Posts
None of the poodles I have known have been aloof. A goof, yes, especially when young - aloof, no!

·
Registered
997 Posts
I would say that correct poodle temperament ranges from aloof with strangers/very close to family and friends to social butterfly. I think the common element is that they are people-oriented dogs.

·
Registered
152 Posts
My Belle is aloof she tolerates strangers but never seeks them out. Although she was pretty freindly with people at the show last Sunday

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Billy started out as aloof as a puppy. It took him a long time to warm up to strangers. He didn't avoid them but he would ignore them. I just kept on working on socialization and he came around so well that he will run up to strangers now looking for attention. We stopped by an elderly day care center today on an invitation and he went right up to the old folks to socialize; something he would never have done as a puppy.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Cosmo is still young but he has aloof tendencies. He's VERY friendly with anyone that approaches him (still working on polite greeting actually!) but he doesn't typically go seeking attention from other people unless they approach him.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would say that correct poodle temperament ranges from aloof with strangers/very close to family and friends to social butterfly. I think the common element is that they are people-oriented dogs.
So maybe Jäger is one of those social butterfly poodles... only time will tell I guess.

I will say that I went out of my way to socialize him extensively with all sorts of people, kids, babies, dogs, etc. I'm not sure if it's that he's just social by nature or as a result of the socialization or maybe a mixture of both?

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Darcy is selectively friendly with people, he may or may not give a warm welcome to strangers, it depends on some criteria only he knows. But he goes NUTS for friends and family.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Liberty is a social butterfly. She's polite, but will definitely approach and initiate contact for some lovin's. I don't think she's ever met a stranger.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Tate LOVES new people. He tiny wigglebutts up to them and usually is jumping on their legs to be picked up. Had him for 18 months and we're still working on that! At least - for all he has been through - he still loves people!

If anything he is aloof with other dogs. He is a people dog, not a dog dog.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Paris is a social butterfly. She's not polite about it either...! I love her enthusiasm for life, but I am having to spend an awful lot of time training her to NOT say hi to the judges/stewards/spectators when we're trying to compete.... lol!

·
Registered
997 Posts
Paris is a social butterfly. She's not polite about it either...! I love her enthusiasm for life, but I am having to spend an awful lot of time training her to NOT say hi to the judges/stewards/spectators when we're trying to compete.... lol!
The first time we went to an obedience run-thru, Dexter tried to follow the male steward out of the ring after the Figure 8.

Judge visiting is a theme that comes up often on poodle obedience and agility lists!

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Maybe it is because my dogs are or have been show dogs, but they think everyone must be a member of their fan clubs. They love to be touched and I have to keep them from doing what I call "rub bys" with other hikers on the trail.

I think Poodles should be discriminating and have a clear sense of their own self worth. However, I don't care for that true aloofness like we often see in some of the sight hounds. I like a Poodle who is engaged and who wants to please.

·
Registered
8,040 Posts
Chagall could open up at "Kissing Booth" in a parking lot! He is uber friendly to EVERYONE, and doesn't seem to even have an inkling that some people don't like/love poodles. I am so happy he's such a friendly extrovert! Our last dog, though much loved for the 17 years we had her, was not fond of strangers and children. I am continuing to work on guiding Chagall as to when it's okay to go try to "love up" a person. He's learning he has to wait to be invited to say "hello," but the wait nearly kills him. When he's released to greet someone, he goes a bit bananas with glee. (Seems to make everyone feel special when he does it, though!)

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
My dogs love everyone, Dima is a little bit aloof with strangers but once they have said hi she is fine.

My dogs a big guard dogs so if you are not invited to my house don't come.

·
Registered
614 Posts
My first poodle, Bounder, loved everyone and everyone loved him back.

Our rescue poodle, Pippin, likes people well enough, will always stand to be petted, but it's rare for him to approach anyone first, unless the person is also a dog-owner and happens to have treats concealed about his person - then look out, because Pippin is suddenly wanting to be that person's Best Friend Forever!

Casey was extremely shy as a puppy, as in pee-his-pants terrified of strangers. He has now advanced to the point where I would say he is cautiously friendly. He will stick his nose out to be petted, but will back away if someone tries to pat him on the head, instead of under the chin. Hands passing over his head seem to make him a bit nervous.

But in general he does approach people now much more than he did as a young puppy.

I don't think I have ever seen a friendly puppy become non-friendly as an adult, assuming he stays in the same family and is well-treated and well-socialized. But it does work the other way around, that a shy puppy can gain confidence with time and appropriate training and socialization.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts