Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi friends - I have been dealing with 2 evictions on our rental properties, including to going to court. Just tonight I finished doing my Christmas letters ( I like to include a personal letter in my cards) Have a bunch of stuff that I bought on Black Friday/Cyber Monday that are either here or on the way. I wrapped my first Christmas present today and will pace my wrapping of the many other gifts. My husband's birthday is on the 21st and he has requested that I make a cheesecake for him on his birthday. Asta has bought him a present but asked if I will wrap it for him. Plus I have an abnormal large mole on my back that I am going to have removed and tested on Jan. 7th. I am overwhelmed and it is a good thing I am going to my psychiatrist tomorrow. Is it just me or our the holidays stressful to you?

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
Oh, friend--it is not just you! Yes, even though I'm on a break from school, I find life really stressful right now. People are cranky, traffic and parking are horrible, the weather is gray. And sounds like you've got a LOT more going on. Deep breaths, take one day at a time, or even one hour at a time. I really hope all goes smoothly with the evictions, hubby's b-day, psychiatrist, dermatologist, etc. ((((Hugs))))

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Wrap your arms around Asta and breathe. It's always amazing to me how I feel the calm steal over me when I breathe with my boys :)

And, definitely not just you! There are so many expectations to be met in daily life, and then, wonderful and magical as the holiday season is, it brings even more expectations.

As my years go by, I find I can let some of them wait a bit. The holidays don't seem to mind lol.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Yes, hug a poodle! It may help. And it’s very considerate of Asta to buy hubby a present;) I had a stressful few weeks and things are more under control now. I can’t believe I was that stressed but when you’re in it it’s hard. One day at a time! Both poodle are currently on the couch with me, one on either side and they are in their calm sleepy state because it’s 9:30. I am a poodle sandwich!
I hope everything goes well:)

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
I think that everybody 'worries' during the Christmas holiday! I think because we all have a scene in our heads on how it 'should be' we get stressed when somebody or something throws a wrench in our perfectly laid out plans ......

I've learned to ask this question; Is this a problem I can fix, put up with, or walk away from?

Reactions: Vita and Asta's Mom

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
You definitely have a lot going on, but it sounds like you are doing pretty well at it! I agree that Asta hugs will be very helpful. What a sweet boy to get his shopping sorted already.
I always try to remind myself that it’s just a day and it doesn’t matter if not everything is sorted in time or goes exactly to plan!

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Hugs Asta's mom..I know how you are feeling. I too am about off the wall. I haven't had problems in the past but I am so stressed right now and can't truly put my finger on it but I am miserable to live with at the moment. I went absolutely bonkers twice this week, once when my daughter decided to help me by washing my new king sized Ugg blanket in my washer. Of course its too big n heavy the tub couldn't spin the blanket must weigh 100 lbs, so I finally find a way to get it outside and lay it across some chairs to drip out. She then decides to bring it in put it on her bed a put a hair dryer to it. I really went berserk both times, my husband talks to me I can't even speak nice to him anymore he just annoys me. Its like everything that has annoyed m e built up in me and its exploding out. I will probably need to go see my dr. if I don't get myself under control soon. Hugs to you, take some time for you and Asta to just relax.

·
Registered
7,151 Posts
It’s definitely a stressful time of year for everyone, even people who have less demands put upon them. Poodle hugs are very therapeutic.

Reactions: Asta's Mom

·
Premium Member
22,964 Posts
Claire it isn't just you. I hope it helps to know that. I am giving 6 exams this week and already have a couple of sets of work to grade even without the exams. All of this will pass. Go for a nice walk with Asta, breathe deeply and do whatever you need to to take care of yourself.

·
Premium Member
9,621 Posts
I used to be Santa and all the elves, until I resigned. Over the years, I have pared everything down, from gift recipients, to card recipients, even wrapping! One year, I bought gift boxes from Tuesday Morning and gave everyone their own box. Instead of racking my brain for the perfect gift, I ask for a wishlist. I decorate as much or as little as I feel like, especially if I’m not hosting. I attended a packed wellness seminar on dealing with holiday stress and adopted strategies that help me enjoy the holiday too. Almost all the attendees were women’s!

·
Super Moderator
3,149 Posts
Girl, make that cheesecake with the main ingredients of love and friendship, and savor it with him over candle light and laughter. Treat it as a precious moment in time that you'll both remember fondly as time unfolds.

The gift wrap from Asta is a five or ten minute joy that can be done while you're baking the cheesecake. Scissors, scotch tape, and wallah! Done, with more smiles to follow.

Stress is a monster that loves to gobble up the precious moments in time. The court evictions is one (what a nuisance!), the medical worries (sigh) are another. The judge and your doc will hopefully be able to fix those problems, and your psy will hopefully reassure your worries that by next month, they will resolved.

My prayers are with you on the hard stuff.

·
Premium Member
4,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks everybody. Traffic today was a bear. And when I got to my psychiatrist's found out I was on the wrong day and I'm not seeing him till after Christmas - ggrr. Holding onto my last good nerve I am trying to take it day by day and y'all are right there is nothing quite like poodle love. Asta is my rock.

·
Premium Member
3,330 Posts
Oh, so sorry Claire. Hugs! No, it's not just you going through a rough time with Christmas. My dad died in February and this is my first Christmas without him. It does not feel like Christmas at all around here. We put up the bare minimum amount of decorations. We're going through the motions and doing our best to just cope. Christmas feels like a black and white movie and all the color is gone. Some years are like that, I guess.

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
I used to be in charge of all the Christmas decorating. We had the best house on the block. It was fun, And then, it was not. Over the years, it became a huge chore, and that is not what Christmas should be. Last year was the worst, my uncle died the night before we had to evacuate because of the fires. Then, my other uncle who was bringing us cat litter, fell and broke his hip. This year was a struggle health wise and I decided to buy one of those pencil trees. Best decision ever! I got that tall, skinny thing up, covered with over a thousand lights, and then I handed Dad the remote control. He has enjoyed being "in control" all season. My orthopedic doctor suggested cutting down on grooming; so the boys have shorter hair-dos. To ease my conscience I bought them coats... that they probably don't need at all. I think we all try out best to make it through the holidays and of course, we are grateful when we are not homeless, or in poor health. And our added bonus is that we have our poodles to love!

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Astas mom..Yes I think traffic is horrible everywhere. Our local roads are so backed up its so annoying and no one is nice. They say stay out of the left lanes so those in a rush can rush however when you need to be able to turn left and get into that lane no one will let you in, hence I get in earlier then need be in certain areas where I know it will be a problem. I have to laugh a bit when you say you went to the doc on the wrong day, my daughter did that too last week. Oh the joys of holidays. You will do fine, do what keeps you happy.

·
Premium Member
22,964 Posts
Thinking of you today. It is too bad you battled to get to the Dr. on the wrong day. I think we've all done something like that sometime.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Yes this season is tough. I have non stop worries with my business and clients who just don't understand that the mail is completely overloaded and stressed way beyond capacity. Not looking forwards to this week. I crammed about 600 - 700 pounds of packages into my little Fiat yesterday - had the fun of loading them and then unloading them again at the post office in the freezing rain. Meanwhile once they are dropped off - out of my hands - and as much as I try to ship orders asap (often within under an hour of receiving the order) I have literally no influence what-so-ever as when they will be delivered. I think Amazon spoils people into thinking everything has to be at their doorstep immediately or within 48 hours. That actually works to some extent during most of the year but since Black Friday it just doesn't. I know my postmaster starts his days at 5 am and often doesn't get home until 11 pm - everyday - because Sunday is a new delivery day because of Amazon as well. And my UPS driver - same thing. So getting abusive emails from clients while you are busting your hump has turned me into a bit of a Grinch this year. I usually love the season but for small businesses it just is nothing but stress. And the holidays this year fall in such a way that I cannot even give my employees the Monday off - which is Xmas for all of us since we celebrate on the 24th. But we will have to work that way - no way around it at all....Bah Humbug!

·
Premium Member
22,964 Posts
Moni it is too bad to end up feeling like a Grinch. I definitely felt that yesterday. All day long students were just picking at me, and half of the annoying folks weren't even my students. Just during yesterday an able bodied student didn't hold the elevator for me and Javelin to go down to class (my knees are not too bad on going up stairs, but hate going down), a random student I don't know wanted to park her stuff in my office while I was really busy grading and didn't want to take no for an answer (think the Seinfeld episode where George is left watching a guys luggage), another random student showed up for advisement but then didn't seem to want my advice, one of my students showed up thinking she could nit pick about a question on a quiz from September and then wanted me to tell her what grades she needed on her finals to get an A for the course (her current grade is a low B), then my night class had four students who way overstayed the time I thought they really needed for their lecture final and the last of them to leave wanted also for me to tell her what grades she needed to get an A. I sort of wanted a drink when I got home, but we are out of bourbon.

Rant over.

Reactions: Asta's Mom and Moni

·
Registered
596 Posts
Moni it is too bad to end up feeling like a Grinch. I definitely felt that yesterday. All day long students were just picking at me, and half of the annoying folks weren't even my students. Just during yesterday an able bodied student didn't hold the elevator for me and Javelin to go down to class (my knees are not too bad on going up stairs, but hate going down), a random student I don't know wanted to park her stuff in my office while I was really busy grading and didn't want to take no for an answer (think the Seinfeld episode where George is left watching a guys luggage), another random student showed up for advisement but then didn't seem to want my advice, one of my students showed up thinking she could nit pick about a question on a quiz from September and then wanted me to tell her what grades she needed on her finals to get an A for the course (her current grade is a low B), then my night class had four students who way overstayed the time I thought they really needed for their lecture final and the last of them to leave wanted also for me to tell her what grades she needed to get an A. I sort of wanted a drink when I got home, but we are out of bourbon.

Rant over.
Wow sometimes they really act like little children! Living in a university town ourselves (New Paltz - which we absolutely adore - because of that beautiful young and optimistic energy) I know how they can act at times. I always joke that you totally can feel in the air when it's finals week - there is an electricity like static in the whole town. Well fingers crossed that there will be Bourbon in your stocking!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts