Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
22,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lily and I got 2 more Rally Master legs today for numbers 8 and 9 of ten needed. We had AM/PM trials at my club today.

For the morning trial the walk through was at 9:00, so for us we had to get up and out fairly early. The course was very fair, but really challenging too. There were two stations with back up 3 steps (one the regular version that shows up in excellent, but also the change of direction version that is unique to Master where you back up 3 steps and then take one or two more back steps in a new direction (left or right)) and it had two stations that involved spin or twist (one just a dog circles to the right (twist) next to the handler and the one where the dog and handler both do a circle to the right side by side. It also had the figure 8 with distractions, which I haven't had in a long time since it is an advanced sign that doesn't often show up outside of advanced. The figure 8 was set up in the middle of the ring to the left of where I had left Lily to wait for the recall over jump/finish/about turn. When I got to where I stopped for the recall over the jump I saw Lily sitting nicely but looking at the bowl with little toys in it. When I told her over she went to the bowl and then came front without taking the jump, so that was a minus ten. She did everything else but had a lot of out of positions and the spin/twists were not great, but we qualified with a 79.

The afternoon course was also appropriately challenging, but had only one back up 3 steps and only one spin. Also since it was the afternoon and Lily had taken a good nap after we finished in the morning we did much better and got a 96 for a fourth place. We will be having another AM/PM rally trial in early February and the judge is the former president of our club. She has a sharp pencil, but her courses are always fair and she is a very consistent judge for all the entrants. Hopefully we will finish Master then and maybe give a triple Q a try in the afternoon that day. If we are going to get to the RACh with any seriousness we need more 96s in Master though.

I stayed after we finished Master to watch advanced and intermediate because students from my classes were entered. Everybody qualified, but I am most happy for my good friend (and student) and her Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier who got two 99s and two first places in Intermediate today.

·
Premium Member
4,027 Posts
Congratulations to you and Lily - what a talented team. The work you describe sounds very difficult to me (just a pet owner here) and it is wonderful that you did so well. One more to go - yeah. Looking forward to Feb and hopefully more initials after Lily's name in your sig. Go on now - Cheers!

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
Wowie, congrats, Catherine and Lily! :adore: You are almost there to another title! So you have to have the Master title to do triple Q?

Who were your judges today? It sounds like the first course was very challenging!

Also, congrats to your students on doing exceptionally well! It's very nice that you stayed to support them. My trainer has never stayed to see me compete :violin:

·
Registered
7,146 Posts
Fabulous. With Lily and you earning 2 more legs and your students doing so well you have lots to celebrate. I hope you get your last leg to earn your title at the next trial.

That special back up 3 steps then change direction and back up 3 more sounds challenging.

Reactions: lily cd re

·
Premium Member
22,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wowie, congrats, Catherine and Lily! :adore: You are almost there to another title! So you have to have the Master title to do triple Q?

Who were your judges today? It sounds like the first course was very challenging!

Also, congrats to your students on doing exceptionally well! It's very nice that you stayed to support them. My trainer has never stayed to see me compete :violin:

For you when you get to that point I would suggest that you finish RE and then go on to do triple Qs. Since you need 20 of them you will earn 2 RAEs in the process and get RM2 as well. When Lily and I started under the old point schedule it made more sense to me to finish RM and get her more comfortable with those new signs than to push for points that would have been very hard to her in Master. Now that I see signs she is more comfortable I will test run doing a triple Q in our PM trial in February, hopefully having finished RM in the AM that same day.

Our judge was the same judge for both trials. She is local and very very nice. She teaches a rally class further east and a lot of the people who entered go to her class, so those teams had special challenges. The same judge will be at a Thursday evening trial in February for the Long Island Golden Retriever Club, so my students who got two legs yesterday can't enter there for their titles since they need a different judge. I could enter and try to finish RM there, but think I will wait for my club's AM/PM trial that same weekend.

Skylar that master back up sign that is different is back up 3 steps then change direction (left or right) and do one or two more steps back, so thankfully it is not as bad as it sounds.

Weather permitting I will take Lily back down to New Jersey for their January 6th rally match and we will do some serious practice on those spin/twist and back up signs that have gotten muddied together recently because of my signal confusion. I am going to run a bunch of rally run thru/match type sessions for my students (and me) before the home trial in February too.

Thank you everyone for your kind words for me and my special girlie!

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I am looking forward to a post from you saying that Lily has her Rally Masters. I love how Lily is so animated and playful but obviously can settle down and work.

·
Premium Member
22,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks all. I've always been a pay it forward kind of person, so seeing my friends doing well in the real world and here on PF floats my boat too.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Special congrats to the Wheaten! Terriers (having had an Airedale) can be tough!
Our trainers are usually around for the students.but then they are usually showing as well. (they make a point to be there for the novices,if at all possible)

I (as well as Catherine :adore:) am happy to see our March trials move to a new bldg. The old one was downright awful,and I had marked it off as even possible for showing Otter (IF we ever get to trials!). The venue is very important,I have found.We are resting for the winter,with uncertain upstate NY weather,and dark evenings for driving to/from classes.

So Queen-of-all-she surveys will likely be working on her RACH when nexty we meet!

Martha,CheWhippet and Otter WildMan

·
Premium Member
22,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes if we are going to RACh we will be working it by March. I would also enter Javelin to finish off the BN. What is the name of the new building? I would love to see some pictures of it.

·
Premium Member
22,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes if we are going to RACh we will be working it by March. I would also enter Javelin to finish off the BN. What is the name of the new building? I would love to see some pictures of it.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Sorry for the delay-library was closed for 3 days! I believe it is the Empire Expo center. I have not been in it myself,as it just opened in Aug at the NYS Fair,but I believe they has a skating rink in it for the fair. I googled it when my comrade announced the March shows' moving (to scout the location,as you know I am directionally challenged:ahhhhh:)-hope they have their own parking area-looks nice!

Martha,Che and WildMan (who is now 2yrs,2 days!)

·
Premium Member
22,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Lily and I went back down to New Jersey for a rally match today (the two poodles and I went there last week for an obedience match). I signed us up for one round each in the advanced and excellent rings and two times in the master ring. This will somewhat resemble our next rally entries for an AM/PM pair of trials in early February. I still have to fill out my entry form, but will be doing Master only in the AM trial to finish the RM title (hopefully) and then in the afternoon we will give Advanced/Excellent/Master a go for a triple Q in the afternoon. At this point I am still not totally sure about pursuing the RACh title since I need to know that we will be able to get outstanding scores not just in advanced and excellent but also master. We almost always get in the very high 90s in advanced, the mid to high 90s in excellent, but so far have had a few NQ runs and only cracked 90 twice in master (although the last time out we got a 96).

The excellent course today was really interesting and Lily did a great job with it. The person who designed and judged the course had really nice things to say about Lily's handling of it. There was a couple there with a spoo who ran in the advanced course who watched us and had great things to say about Lily's work in that course too. The master course had one spin to the left next to the handler and the side by side dog and handler spin to the left which is especially challenging for us. We also had back up 3 steps in the excellent course and back up 3 steps/leave dog at stand/call to heel (a variation of the moving stand in utility) in master. Since working on the spin and twist have corrupted my back up 3 steps signal I was really happy that Lily backed up instead of spinning as she had been doing. The master course also had stand dog/leave/sit/call front/finish (which is essentially derived from the utility signals) and the send to cone/return to dog/forward (which is related to the utility go out) so even though we are not thinking about utility for a title anymore I am happy that I didn't have to teach those signs that are related to it from scratch to do rally.

I think Lily was very happy to have a girl's day out without Javelin (who was ecstatic when we got home).

·
Registered
7,146 Posts
Sounds like the girls had a great day today.

Reactions: lily cd re

·
Premium Member
22,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sounds like a very successful girls day out! I often wonder how Frosty would handle doing more than one run in a day if we ever move up to RE.
Do you have AM/PM trials in your area? We have those for rally quite often and if you have that chance it might help you gauge Frosty's endurance for RAE and eventually RACh triple Qs. We took our runs in the order of advanced, excellent, master and master (just based on when each ring opened up for us). Each entry gave enough time to do the course twice. By the time we went through the master course the fourth time it was pretty clear that Lily had run out of spins and sort of had had it, but with a bit of coaxing (more than I would ever want to do in a trial) she stuck with me.

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
Yes, we do have occasional AM/PM trials. However, it's hard to find the combination of them being indoors with a good judge (or judges)! But, that is a very good idea to see if he can handle it. For Maizie in barn hunt, she is pretty much done after one trial.

·
Premium Member
3,330 Posts
Noelle and I are signed up for our first AM/PM trial. I hadn't thought of using it as an endurance test for RAE and TQ runs. That's a good idea.

I know it in my bones, deep in my bones, that Lily is going to make you proud at your next trial. I just... do. And we'll toast that Rally Master title. Yes, yes, yes!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts