Poodle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello poodle peeps , we always had toy dog breeds, including a toy poodle many, many years ago. So, We decided to get another ?

I found a reputable breeder about an hour away, I went on a secret mission solo before bringing or telling my family .

Three puppies in the litter. The parents were both very big from what I expected to see. I asked if they were miniatures , he claimed they were toys, long legs?

I fell in love with a little girl, but I do not want a mini. Is it possible the puppies if they truly are toy can be much smaller than the parents?
my concern is, can larger parents have smaller puppies? The girl is three lbs at 11 weeks and small (as of now) sweetest puppy and totally adorable. He claimed the mother was seven lbs?? She looked much larger. The weight compared to the size or her, and the sire for that matter threw me.

Thanks in advanced for any guidance or your knowledge from breeding.

·
Registered
3,633 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, he has done genetic heath testing on the sire and dam. He is involved in AKC events with his dogs. Very nice man, seems meticulous with them and his home. They are registered under toy. No doubt oversized. Thanks again

·
Registered
351 Posts
Generally speaking, you can expect pups to be in the size range of their parents. There are always exceptions of course. Has he bred these two before? If so, does he have pictures of previous pups as adults?
Also, the ranges for poodle sizes is in height not weight. What is the height (at shoulders) of the parents? That will tell you whether they are oversize or not. Poodles are often so lean that their weight is deceiving. My standard pup at 5 months is as tall as my mastiff but 1/3 the weight, which makes me chuckle.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
standard in weight is 4-6lbs. Height no more than 10” at the shoulder. The parents are large toys “oversized” I am assuming their puppies will be larger than the breed standard under the toy size. The parents are very big for their weight in body size. I am leaning on moving forward, she will most likely be a very large toy/small mini. Not what I expected to see unfortunately. My toy was in the 6-7pound weight range, but she was very small in her size. I read it’s not so much the weight, but the height. Feeling disappointed
Thank you for your reply.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Generally speaking, you can expect pups to be in the size range of their parents. There are always exceptions of course. Has he bred these two before? If so, does he have pictures of previous pups as adults?
Also, the ranges for poodle sizes is in height not weight. What is the height (at shoulders) of the parents? That will tell you whether they are oversize or not. Poodles are often so lean that their weight is deceiving. My standard pup at 5 months is as tall as my mastiff but 1/3 the weight, which makes me chuckle.
Thank you, I did read it’s the height and not the weight. I did not ask him what their height measurements were, you can clearly see not 10” or smaller. Embarrassing to admit, I did not ask to see pictures of previous litters.
I love standard size. Always wanted one believe it or not. With young ones at home, I felt it may be too much dog for us right now.
That’s funny that your standard is as tall as you mastiff.. they are solid, muscular dogs! Totally different body structures for sure.. it’s a good thing your poodle is 1/3 of his weight! Lol. My neighbor has mastiff. Big , beautiful well mannered dog.

thanks for your reply !

·
Super Moderator
5,104 Posts
(And yes!! Poodle weight is deceptive for sure! Peggy's playmate, a GSD mix, is roughly the same height, but almost twice her weight. It's really quite lovely having such a substantial dog who I can also pick up if necessary. We just look rather silly!)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
With young ones at home, a sturdier size is probably advisable, right? Maybe this was meant to be. :)
If they were toddlers absolutely! 8 and 11 they grew up with small toy sized dogs. They are two gentle sweet girls, little petite things not rough and tumble. One day a standard, but for now a toy poodle lol

1 - 10 of 10 Posts