Poodle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Peggy generally has pretty neutral breath, but since starting these:

It's horrible! Like poop. Actual poop.

Has anyone else experienced a similar side effect from these chews or a similar product?

Discontinuing them is not an option at the moment. It's part of the protocol we're trying to address this fun (also smelly) issue:

·
Registered
7,578 Posts
Did you vet tell you to use this product?

I’m wondering if it’s the salmon that makes it so stinky.

·
Super Moderator
7,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you vet tell you to use this product?

I’m wondering if it’s the salmon that makes it so stinky.
No, our vet would always go the pharmaceutical route, but I think antihistamines will be next if this doesn't work.

The chews themselves don't have a strong smell. She gets occasional fish oil, which does briefly give her fish breath. But this is much more.....poopy. Lol. Like I've actually thought maybe she pooped, but it turns out to just be a yawn.

I was thinking maybe the colostrum or mushrooms. Researching them now, though, both are actually used to treat bad breath.

I hope it's not her cracked molar...... The vet said it was nothing to be worried about.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Can you maybe take Peggy to a holistic vet and see what they say? Sometimes holistic vets are better with something.

·
Super Moderator
7,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can you maybe take Peggy to a holistic vet and see what they say? Sometimes holistic vets are better with something.
I would really like to. The one I was considering works strictly with raw diet, which I won't do with Peggy. Not with her resource guarding. She's never guarded her food bowl before, which has been such a relief. Not even wet food. But she got growly and intense the one time I gave her a chicken wing... and that was by hand. I'm not interesting in risking it again right now, as much as I want to.

Our vet says Peggy's anal glands are fine. They've never been impacted. They don't cause her discomfort. They just occasionally release on the couch when she's up there with us. I guess the easiest thing would be to restrict her from the couch, but that's so sad. :(

·
Registered
101 Posts
You could buy washable chucks to keep on the couch and bed. They’re also called washable underpads if you’re searching for them. At least then you won’t have to clean the couch or change the bedding if she has a leak.

·
Super Moderator
7,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You could buy washable chucks to keep on the couch and bed. They’re also called washable underpads if you’re searching for them. At least then you won’t have to clean the couch or change the bedding if she has a leak.
That's sort of what we're currently doing. I've got a washable couch protector. Even in a neutral colour, it's such an eyesore, but it definitely cuts down on the annoyance associated with each episode. I hated removing the cushion covers, washing them, and then wrestling them back on.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Miracle took this supplement over the summer for her seasonal allergies, and I do not recall a change in her breath.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I noticed a major change in the frequency and intensity of her itching. I was almost to the point of contacting the vet to put her on prescription meds, but I decided to try this first. When summer was over, I stopped using it to see if she would need to continue it into the fall and she was scratching a lot less, so I took her off of it for now. If I remember correctly, she needed some time to adjust to it. I think she had loose stools initially.

·
Super Moderator
7,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I noticed a major change in the frequency and intensity of her itching. I was almost to the point of contacting the vet to put her on prescription meds, but I decided to try this first. When summer was over, I stopped using it to see if she would need to continue it into the fall and she was scratching a lot less, so I took her off of it for now. If I remember correctly, she needed some time to adjust to it. I think she had loose stools initially.
That's good to hear. The poop breath seems to be gone (knock on wood!), so maybe that was Peggy's adjustment period.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts