Poodle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every year my girls get itchy along about summer. I keep them trimmed short and use a good quality shampoo and conditioner but that doesn’t help. Is there something more I can do at home?

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In a few ways that I’ve noticed:
They tend to scratch more especially in the morning, and have a drippy nose quite often and their body odor is noticeable. Not terrible but fairly soon after a bath. None of this seems to bother them a lot, but I don’t want it to escalate

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
The allergens in CA are sky high this season. I would call your vet to see what they recommend most (they should give you an answer over the phone). I use Benadryl on ours for allergies, with mixed results in effectiveness. 1 mg per pound of body weight is the dosage. Zyrtec can also be given to dogs, but I don't recall the dosage off hand.

·
Registered
10,522 Posts
Babykins developed allergies this spring - stuffy nose, reverse sneezing and licking her paws - she's taking Benadryl and it is working.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Asta was having a hard time with our high pollen counts. The vet said to try Benadryl and it has made a big difference. Call your vet to get the right dosage for your dog.
I was told by my vet to dose Charlie with human allergy tablets and it helps a lot. Vet gave me dosage based on 80 pound dog, be sure to get specifics from your vet. Also vet gave me permission to administer my own prescription allergy eye drops (we each have our own bottle, I,'ve coloured his label black so we don't mix up) Patadine 0.2% solution, has made a huge difference. Charlie still licks and chews on his paws and scratches, at my vet,s suggestion I have switched to a grain free, salmon based natural food and continue with daily dosage of 1 oz. Organic hemp oil and probiotic yoghurt, 4 oz. Quite a bit of improvement but still trying to fine tune this. Just moved to a new place with no carpets and I suspect less mold type allergens, I am certainly showing less symptoms myself. Had his coat cut very short so lots of air on skin and I can manage to wash him with gentle skin soothing shampoos more often. Using Show Coat horse spray to keep coat and skin from drying out so much. Being back in cool, damp British Columbia and living in a house (with running water!) is helpful, it was very hard to manage while camping for months in the desert where all water had to be hauled , big improvement in allergies. If anybody else has ideas to share for itchy skin please do.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
For allergic itchiness I used Zyrtec on my past dogs, and I liked it because you only have to dose once a day instead of every 4-6 hours..........1 mg per kg of weight Good stuff but be sure it is Zyrtec ('cetirizine') NOT Zyrtec-D Google it!

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Zephyr got allergies last summer, was extremely itchy. I gave him Benadryl and he was still scratching a lot, so my vet gave him one injection of Cytopoint. That was in August and immediately stopped all of his allergy symptoms for the rest of the season. I've looked it up on line and it seems to be very safe, and Zephyr had no side effects, so I'm a believer!

I would go with Benadryl if it works, if it doesn't I can recommend Cytopoint.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Zephyr got allergies last summer, was extremely itchy. I gave him Benadryl and he was still scratching a lot, so my vet gave him one injection of Cytopoint. That was in August and immediately stopped all of his allergy symptoms for the rest of the season. I've looked it up on line and it seems to be very safe, and Zephyr had no side effects, so I'm a believer!

I would go with Benadryl if it works, if it doesn't I can recommend Cytopoint.
Wow, thanks for the assist. Charlie has the same issues

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
533 Posts

We are getting closer to some relief of allergies and itchy skin and feet. Charlie gets no chicken, corn or gluten. At the moment he is on a single source protein(duck) and oatmeal, supplemented by a cup of pumpkin puree, 2 tablespoons organic hemp oil, a 1/2 teaspoon of probiotic powder. One drop of Olopatadine prescription eye drops per day. Two Benadryl tablets per day. Still dealing with some loose stools but better than before. He is not scratching his body nearly as much, but still does way too much foot chewing.

Any other suggestions? Thanks

·
Registered
1,859 Posts

We are getting closer to some relief of allergies and itchy skin and feet. Charlie gets no chicken, corn or gluten. At the moment he is on a single source protein(duck) and oatmeal, supplemented by a cup of pumpkin puree, 2 tablespoons organic hemp oil, a 1/2 teaspoon of probiotic powder. One drop of Olopatadine prescription eye drops per day. Two Benadryl tablets per day. Still dealing with some loose stools but better than before. He is not scratching his body nearly as much, but still does way too much foot chewing.

Looks like you have tried many strategies already. I hope you are able to get additional suggestions and help. You are home cooking Charlie's food then?

Miracle started to itch quite frequently and then started biting herself about a month ago. Now her eyes are very runny. I switched her to a new food in June so I thought it was the food, switched her back to her old food, but the itching and biting continued. She's only 13 pounds so I need to consult with the vet regarding meds. I will say this is the first time ever that I have had to take meds due to my own skin allergies so maybe it's just a bad summer. Miracle didn't have this issue last summer...hopefully it will not last.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Looks like you have tried many strategies already. I hope you are able to get additional suggestions and help. You are home cooking Charlie's food then?

Miracle started to itch quite frequently and then started biting herself about a month ago. Now her eyes are very runny. I switched her to a new food in June so I thought it was the food, switched her back to her old food, but the itching and biting continued. She's only 13 pounds so I need to consult with the vet regarding meds. I will say this is the first time ever that I have had to take meds due to my own skin allergies so maybe it's just a bad summer. Miracle didn't have this issue last summer...hopefully it will not last.
We are nomads much of the year, travelling across North America with a pick up truck and a travel trailer. Often living off the grid for a couple of months at a time, solar collectors limit the amount of electricity we can use. It isn't practical to make/store home cooked food. I've been able to find a very high quality single source protein dry kibble called "GO" , made by Petcurean in Chilliwack BC and it seems to be readily available across Canada. Crossing the border with any kind of fresh meats could also net us big fines/confiscation. My Vet also doesn't want me using soft canned foods, seen a huge improvement in Charlie 's teeth since we put him on hard food. Virtually tartar free. I suspect that Charlie is allergic to grass. When we were in BC during December (Revelstoke gets an average of 30+ feet of snowfall a winter) I saw big improvements in the dog. Since the grass in the back yard had a snow pack of over 5 feet on it, he was quite safe from the nasty stuff!

·
Registered
4,543 Posts

With respect, and indeed with a heart full of caring, may I ask whether your vet has approved feeding a cup of pumpkin per day or meal? The usual dose I've read of is a teaspoon or maybe tablespoon in a large dog. A cup, which is *sixteen* tablespoons, seems, though food-based, like a possible health issue due to the extreme levels of vitamin A.

I am not a vet (to my late mother's never ending dismay) nor a veterinary dietitian, I hasten to add. Just I hope you've run this dosage, which seems to approach something of an extreme level, past your veterinarian, and possibly also past a veterinary nutrition expert.

We deal with allergies here, too, in both Oliver and me, and I sympathize heartily.

·
Registered
533 Posts
With respect, and indeed with a heart full of caring, may I ask whether your vet has approved feeding a cup of pumpkin per day or meal? The usual dose I've read of is a teaspoon or maybe tablespoon in a large dog. A cup, which is *sixteen* tablespoons, seems, though food-based, like a possible health issue due to the extreme levels of vitamin A.

I am not a vet (to my late mother's never ending dismay) nor a veterinary dietitian, I hasten to add. Just I hope you've run this dosage, which seems to approach something of an extreme level, past your veterinarian, and possibly also past a veterinary nutrition expert.

We deal with allergies here, too, in both Oliver and me, and I sympathize heartily.
Thanks for the heads up. I am going to run the dose past the vet once again. It was recommended due to very loose stools that contributed to an anal gland blockage because he was not getting enough pressure. Dog weighs 84 pounds. Much appreciation.

·
Premium Member
541 Posts
Every year my girls get itchy along about summer. I keep them trimmed short and use a good quality shampoo and conditioner but that doesn’t help. Is there something more I can do at home?
I am following this post. Toby has allergies, been to the Vet many times. He is on Apoquel and Benadryl. Switched foods.

Plan on talking to the Vet again. Might need to up his Apoquel? Seemed to work for the past year however this summer (seasonal) worse. Just when I think things are getting better (medical shampoo; bathing..short trims along with the addition of Benadryl) he has a bout of aggressive itching.

Last night he woke up twice in the middle of the night with his itching. Rolls on the floor and begins to bite on his legs.

They upped his Sentinal last month (July) and the 2 days after I gave him his pill he threw up, itched like crazy and pulled a clump of hair out of his leg. He got better but I also believe he should not have been upped on his dosage ... it's mid-month now. He is constantly licking his paws, scratching his face, (he is wearing a comfort cone to keep from scratching his face)

This poor dog is suffering. Driving me crazy watching him day after day ... I dream about him and his problem.
I have to find out what is the cause and my plan is to have him tested.
Anyone out there with experience on having their dog tested for allergies
?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.