Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So think I've nailed the problem.. Snoops itching/hives was caused by his switch to Halo food. This was established in the other thread. Well anyway, I switched him back to just his Royal Canin puppy food, but I'm still interested to transition him to an adult food - he is 9 months old now. Today I ran out of puppy food - there is 1 scoop left. I guess I have to buy another bag of puppy food, AS WELL as a bag of Royal Canin adult food in order to transition smoothly without a sick tummy, etc.. would this be correct?

I am actually still keen to feed him a better quality adult food (Royal Canin seems great, but I know there is better out there). I have yet to decide which adult food brand to switch to. Would it be ok to switch him to Royal Canin adult, and then switch him again to another "better" brand once I figure out what I would like to feed him? Or is that just waaaay too much switching?

Food questions seem so common on this forum... it's so tricky to get it just right!

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I don't think switching them around too much is good.

You probably can... but I think it would be better to decide on an adult food and just stick with it.

Here is a website about dog food... they grade them which is great in helping you decide what to go with. 6 stars is the highest and best quality dog food. 1 the lowest.

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/

·
Registered
79 Posts
Puppy food wont hurt him.
Take your time and find the right food.

I'm not sure if its avalible where you are, but I've heard very favorable things about origen(sp)

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Well I just got back from the feed store - got Snoops another bag of Royal Canin Puppy and will feed him that until he runs out. I also took some suggestions from past threads and went with a list of (and feed store guy's comments):

• Taste of the Wild - a good food, but there is better. Uses "meal" rather than whole animal meat
  • Wellness Core - great brand and was comparable in protein % to Royal Canin
  • Blue Buffalo - exclusive to Petsmart or Petco?
  • Orijin - very rich in protein, and very "busy"
The guy at the shop was extremely helpful and took his time going thru everything with me, comparing ingredients, nutritional content, etc...

Finally we settled on this as a trial:

• Wellness Core, Original Formula (poultry)
  • Parallel Grain Free/Oven Baked (poultry/Fish/Lamb/Egg)

Tonight, I am going to try mixing some of the Wellness Core with Snoops' food and see how he likes it. Hopefully there will be no reaction. I like the idea of Parallel, but don't know if it will be readily available in all pet shops. Since we travel, I'd like to pick a food that I know I can get pretty much anywhere. If Wellness Core doesn't work out, I may try their fish blend instead. Perhaps it's the protein switch that is causing him to itch. Royal Canin has chicken meal, whereas Wellness (and Halo) has Chicken. Maybe it's too much for Snoops..
It may just be that Snoops can't handle these "holistic" blends and should stay on Royal Canin moving up to the adult formulation. Or he may just need something very simple. There are allergy forumla's but he said they are not very nice and it would be good if Snoops could avoid that route.

Wish us luck!

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Just wanted to say it might be the egg in the food that's causing him problems. My moms Mini Poodle Jack with vomit if he has even an ounce of egg. I see that egg is the number 2 ingredient in Halo. I would be its the eggs.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
The 5th ingredient in Royal Canin 33 is "dried egg powder" and I don't see any egg product in the ingredients of Wellness Core. Just feeding Snoops now.. he immediately went for the Wellness kibble (spitting out the Royal Canin.. haha!) but the kibble is very large for him! And rock hard! Just added some water to it, and seems to be going down ok. So far so good!

Oh.. ok.. just looked over and he has demolished his bowl of food. Licked it clean. Guess he liked it!

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
I'm glad you confirmed it was Halo and not Snoops. It sounds like he really likes the Wellness kibble. Hopefully, it will like him too!

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
The 5th ingredient in Royal Canin 33 is "dried egg powder" and I don't see any egg product in the ingredients of Wellness Core. Just feeding Snoops now.. he immediately went for the Wellness kibble (spitting out the Royal Canin.. haha!) but the kibble is very large for him! And rock hard! Just added some water to it, and seems to be going down ok. So far so good!

Oh.. ok.. just looked over and he has demolished his bowl of food. Licked it clean. Guess he liked it!
Well dried egg powder is a bit different the whole eggs ;)

Anyway glad he liked the Wellness, its a pretty good food.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
I'm happy that you found something works for Snoops and is good for him.

I have not had a dog with allergies to foods but I do have a grandson who will vomit the minute any type of egg product hits his stomach. The first time I gave him egg, it came right back up on me. LOL He hasn't eaten anything with egg in it since.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I am not sure I like Orijen no matter what they say that high protien scares me. Though mandy does good on it now what am I doing to her.
TOTW is an awsome food and another Mandy does well on the meal just means the water has been extracted so you know it is all meat and not mostly water in the meat.
Another one I am feeding Mandy now is Natures Variety they have grain free and grain both she does awsome on and they keep sending me coupons for buy one get one free. I stopped feeding it as it got expencive but so far keep getting coupons LOL so will keep her on it.

Never tried the other as to expencive near me for 2 dogs

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I didn't like the idea of Orijen being so high in protein % either (think is was over 48%)... way more than what Snoops was getting in Royal Canin. I just felt it best to be as consistent as possible.

As for "meal", the guy at the shop told me that yes, "meal" means it's ground up and powdered, however, "meal" contains meat/skin, cartliage, and bone. When it says "by-product" that means organs, bones, blood, intestines, lungs, ligaments, heads, feet, and feathers - the whole kit and kaboodle. YUCK! And when it says "chicken" it means the meat.. stuff you and I would eat.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I didn't like the idea of Orijen being so high in protein % either (think is was over 48%)... way more than what Snoops was getting in Royal Canin. I just felt it best to be as consistent as possible.

As for "meal", the guy at the shop told me that yes, "meal" means it's ground up and powdered, however, "meal" contains meat/skin, cartliage, and bone. When it says "by-product" that means organs, bones, blood, intestines, lungs, ligaments, heads, feet, and feathers - the whole kit and kaboodle. YUCK! And when it says "chicken" it means the meat.. stuff you and I would eat.
Not to start anything but have you ever seen a wild dog or wolf eat what it kills? All of the ones I bolded above are ALL feed in a raw diet and the ones underlined are eaten in the wild so by it being a by-product or meal is does not mean its bad. What I do not like is what it just say "meat" and does not specify what animal it comes from. Or if its main protein source is a grain.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well... I'm no expert on this whole food business, but my little Snoops isn't a wild dog or a wolf. He may be descended from them but as far as I'm concerned, has evolved into his own species. What works for them out in the wild is amazing and wonderful. When it comes to a pet having an owner who chooses for them I'm not terribly jazzed when I hear they are eating the WHOLE chicken from head to guts to toes. Sure, I know it doesn't necessarily mean it's bad for them.. it's just a choice and a preference. Another reason I've never even explored feeding raw. I may very well be one of the suckers taken in by marketing..

This guy was just telling me what's what, and I did appreciate that he took the time to do so. He never said it was bad or not bad.. just matter of fact. :top:

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Well, I'm no expert either but you do have to realize he is a DOG and by eating what you might thing is disgusting is not bad or wrong. But you can feed him whatever you want its your prerogative.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, I'm no expert either but you do have to realize he is a DOG and by eating what you might thing is disgusting is not bad or wrong. But you can feed him whatever you want its your prerogative.
Hey.. check it out. I'm Asian and I eat chicken and pigs feet, and fish heads and cow stomach. I eat it all.. stuff that a whole lotta people would turn their nose up at. I never said by-product or meal is disgusting, bad or wrong... that's something you read into. I'm ok with it - I eat it. They just aren't ingredients I'm interested to feed my pet. Your dogs may be DOGS to you, but Snoops is something more to me. To each their own.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
You feed what you are comfortable with. Some folks cannot feed raw - just not something they can handle.

Personally, I went to raw years ago because of Frank's grain intolerance. Now all my dogs eat raw and have for years. I cannot imagine feeding kibble - I can't stand the smell of it - turns my stomach. :puke:

BUT - I will not try to get someone else to feed raw if they are not comfortable with the concept. You have to do what YOU are comfortable with. I am a veterinary technician and we sell Science Diet and Eukanuba and Waltham at our clinic. Try being in that position when folks are asking about which food to feed! :decision:

As for switching foods, Whole Dog Journal recommends picking 3-4 good quality kibbles (if that's what you are feeding) and switching foods 3-4 times per year to keep a good nutritional balance. I rotate through a couple foods and also make some of my own raw.

Also - just an FYI - when food a food maker (kibble, raw, whatever...) changes their food ingredients, they do NOT have to change the package label for six months - just something to keep in mind. We have had folks buy a bag of kibble that they have been feeding for years and have their dog get an upset stomach when they opened the new bag - just to find out there is a "new and improved" formula (or whatever).

Almost forgot.... CP... I'm a meat and potatoes girl!! :rofl:

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Some good info there Agility! Wow.. that must be a tough position to be in as a vet tech. Are ya'll obligated to recommend those brands since they are available at your clinic?

That's interesting that the labels don't have to be switched out on dog food for 6 months... the same FDA regulations should be applied to pet food as well.. anything that is ingested! I really wish pets would get a bit more consideration these days.. they are more than just animals! I know Snoops' health is as valid a concern to me as if he were my own human child.

PS: I think a fresh bag of Royal Canin smells delish! The Halo food looked good enough to eat! :laugh:

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Some good info there Agility! Wow.. that must be a tough position to be in as a vet tech. Are ya'll obligated to recommend those brands since they are available at your clinic?
I usually just say "The doctor recommends that you feed..." and keep my own personal opinions out of it. Everyone there knows I feed raw and it's not an issue. If there is someone interested in raw, they will have me talk to them. We do have a couple clients that feed raw.

I agree - pets should get just as much consideration as children. I don't and will not ever have kids. My dogs are it for me. :in-love:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts