Poodle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Allergy season kicked in big time about 3 weeks ago. So predictable with some years being worse than others. This is a bad year and it has SO affected Bobby. 馃様 I started giving him Benadryl a couple of weeks ago and for awhile it helped. Unfortunately, things have gotten worse and starting mid week last week he has been scratching and rubbing but worse than that is the continual chewing on his feet. The Benadryl no longer lasted more than a couple of hours and his poor feet are so inflamed. Tried
natural anti itch remedies and have been rinsing his feet after walks and wiping him down. He got a nice bath at grooming and we passed on his clean feet so he has some hair on his inflamed toes. He has never had any allergic reactions to anything that I could tell until now. Anyway, nothing was stopping the itching and chewing.... made me worried and sad for him. He was miserable. He couldn鈥檛 sleep well either and neither could I.

After talking to the vet twice and then bringing him in for an appointment yesterday, we are in agreement that it鈥檚 environmental. We are at the peak of the allergy season. Nothing else has changed for him and the timing makes it quite certain. So, starting last night we started him on Apoquel. I have such mixed feelings as it is working well but like so many drugs there are scary side effects. At this point I鈥檓 not ready to start changing his diet as right now we just need to stop the itching, but after allergy season, which is usually the end of October, I may start researching and hopefully get a good plan set in place for next fall. This really took us by surprise. Right now we just have to get the itching under control so he doesn鈥檛 get open wounds and possibly an infection. I guess I鈥檓 just venting for now. I know there are so many opinions and approaches. I plan to research things more to plan for next year as I鈥檓 guessing this will be a yearly problem. My other dogs had this issue but not to this extent. A month on Benadryl always worked for them.
Anyway, I am very relived as the itching has almost completely stopped but I do have so much concern. Thanks for letting me share.

Registered
I feel for Bobby so much. We all have allergies over here, too, and my skin often breaks into a rash for allergies other than seasonal. None of what works on me would be safe for dogs, I think, though, unless you were certain Bobby wasn't allergic to an oatmeal bath. Fluffy actually has a slightly watery ear right now, and I ordered some Zymox with hydrocortisone just in case, but I'm 98% sure it's just allergies, since he has a bit of a runny nose as well. They're brutal right now. Have you seen these? Supposedly they work pretty well for dogs like Bobby. Haven't used it myself, though, since neither dog gets itchy skin on a regular basis, although I was thinking of getting some for Fluffy because of his ears and all that.

Registered
I鈥檓 sorry Bobby is itching so much. Do you know what the Benadryl dosage per pound is ? I鈥檇 like to give Beckie some (8 lbs) but my vet always refuses to give any info about off the counter meds for dogs. :-(

Super Moderator
Peggy Sue, Standard Poodle Born May 2019
Poor Bobby :(

Gracie used to get extremely miserable with her seasonal allergies. She would flop on her back and rub and rub and rub, so grumpily. My allergies would coincide with hers, so we made quite the team.

Do you know what pollen count is highest right now? If Bobby's is a grass allergy, I wonder if some Pawz booties might help. Something to consider for next year. My primary seasonal allergy is grass, and contact makes it so much worse.

Premium Member
I鈥檓 sorry Bobby is itching so much. Do you know what the Benadryl dosage per pound is ? I鈥檇 like to give Beckie some (8 lbs) but my vet always refuses to give any info about off the counter meds for dogs. :-(
My vet had told me that it's 1mg per pound of dog. Look thru these links for the proper intervals. He'd also said the Benadryl is one of the safest drugs, and it was ok to go a bit over the 1mg per pound to make it easier to cut the tablet manageably.

One of these recommends the children's formula but watch for xylitol.

These links have a lot of good info
Look for the dosage table to the right

Registered
Annie is suffering from allergies right now too, poor thing. I was an idiot, and have been feeding a lot of duck, and now she is itchy scratchy and has an ear infection.
Yes to the benadryl- I have used a liquid benylin product with no other additives by syringe which may be easier for small dogs, but couldnt find it last time I checked tothe pharmacy.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all for the comments. Bobby is doing very well on the Apoquel. Makes me a bit nervous because of possible long term effects but I鈥檓 hoping if it鈥檚 just for a month or 2 it will all be ok. It looks our vet gave him a fairly conservative dose which is good. PTP, boots sound like a great idea. I will definitely keep that in mind. He wears them during the winter so it shouldn鈥檛 be a problem for him. Dechi, too bad your vet doesn鈥檛 support you using over the counter medicine. Our vet totally encourages Benadryl use if it works. It looks like the dosage information is posted. Thank you Rose N Poos. The amounts are pretty standard across the board from what I understand. Bobby was taking two 25mg tablets, every 8 hours. He鈥檚 54 pounds.

Premium Member
Glad Bobby is doing well on the Apoquel. Having had Scottish Terriers with severe allergies in the past, I strongly advocate for a visit with a vet dermatologist. They get to the root of the problem quickly and know all the best strategies and products to deal with it.

Super Moderator
Glad Bobby is doing well on the Apoquel. Having had Scottish Terriers with severe allergies in the past, I strongly advocate for a visit with a vet dermatologist. They get to the root of the problem quickly and know all the best strategies and products to deal with it.
What kind of testing did they do, do you recall?

Registered
I'm so sorry you guys are going through allergy season馃様. My family and I have them bad. And it looks like Sisko has them too. Can a vet just say that a dog has allergies without doing test on them? Does anyone know the dosage for Cetirizine?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They didn鈥檛 actually test Bobby and at this point I am ok with that. The timing and symptoms definitely suggest seasonal allergies. He has had no issues before this and I made no recent changes. If we find, after a few weeks, when the allergy season is over, there are still issues, then it seems testing would be necessary. We are taking things one step at a time.

Premium Member
I can鈥檛 recall exactly what testing was done. Skin patch? The Scottie was allergic to almost everything but cigarette smoke. (!!!) He was prescribed a lamb and rice kibble, weekly baths with a soothing shampoo plus leave-in conditioner and we did weekly desensitizing shots. After a year, he was fine with frequent baths/foot baths and diet alone. It was an expensive consult, but we did not have a scratching, licking soundtrack for the rest of his long life.

Super Moderator
I can鈥檛 recall exactly what testing was done. Skin patch? The Scottie was allergic to almost everything but cigarette smoke. (!!!) He was prescribed a lamb and rice kibble, weekly baths with a soothing shampoo plus leave-in conditioner and we did weekly desensitizing shots. After a year, he was fine with frequent baths/foot baths and diet alone. It was an expensive consult, but we did not have a scratching, licking soundtrack for the rest of his long life.
That definitely sounds worth it! Unidentified allergies make everyone miserable.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thought a little update would be nice. Bobby is now off the Apoquel. He was sent home with a month鈥檚 prescription but we decided to see how he would do without it after taking it for two weeks. It鈥檚 a quick acting medication that leaves the system quickly so thought it wouldn鈥檛 hurt to try. Bobby was and is just fine! No itching or allergy symptoms at all! I am so glad. I鈥檓 pretty sure it was fall allergies but I will be a bit more careful about tracking what he鈥檚 exposed to and more preemptive next fall. The Apoquel worked fabulously but I don鈥檛 want it to be my 鈥済o to鈥 unless there are no other options.

Registered
Thought a little update would be nice. Bobby is now off the Apoquel. He was sent home with a month鈥檚 prescription but we decided to see how he would do without it after taking it for two weeks. It鈥檚 a quick acting medication that leaves the system quickly so thought it wouldn鈥檛 hurt to try. Bobby was and is just fine! No itching or allergy symptoms at all! I am so glad. I鈥檓 pretty sure it was fall allergies but I will be a bit more careful about tracking what he鈥檚 exposed to and more preemptive next fall. The Apoquel worked fabulously but I don鈥檛 want it to be my 鈥済o to鈥 unless there are no other options.
That's great to hear.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts