Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The reason we got our fist poodle was because I am allergic to dogs (and cats and dust, and ....). My allergies were much less severe (although not 100% gone) with my first poodle as compared to other dogs. We have a new Miniature Poodle puppy - he is about 11 weeks old and we have had him for two weeks. I am having allergies :afraid: especially during his bath time. I am hoping they get better once he goes through his coat change. Does anyone have any experience with allergies to a puppy as compared to an adult poodle?

Thanks in advance and Happy Holidays!

·
Premium Member
22,992 Posts
Well I am sure this is very upsetting to be going through. I have no real experience here, but do wish for a good outcome. Perhaps someone else needs to do bathing. Also I hate to say this part, but understand that allergic status can change at any time in life for the better, but also for the worse.

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
I also had very bad allergies and asthma around most dogs, which I developed as a young adult. When I got Maizie, I was allergic to her slightly for the first three weeks. I took antihistamines and the allergy went away--whew! When I got Frosty as a puppy, I had absolutely no reaction. After taking my dogs to the dog park and petting TONS of dogs, as well as attending dog classes and shows, my dog allergies have improved drastically. Like you, I find grooming to bring out my allergies, especially when I'm trimming my Maltese's coat. If you can have someone else bathe your pup, I would definitely do that. Also, in my experience, puppies cause more allergies than adults in all breeds.

·
Registered
7,158 Posts
Is it a possibility that you are allergic to a product you are using in the bath? Most shampoos and conditioners - for humans and pets have lots of fragrances/perfume/scents which are irritating for those of us with allergies. It could be other ingredients or it could be not completely rinsing product out of the dog's hair?

·
Registered
8,202 Posts

·
Registered
6,736 Posts
I have severe allergies to all animals with hair, fur or feathers, and pollen, and dust. I also have asthma and skin allergies.

When I got my first toy poodle, he was 18 months old. I had a little bit of allergies for a few weeks and it completely went away.

When I go my second toy poodle, she was still a puppy (4 1/2 months old) and I had more allergies to her for a longer time than with my male. Maybe 4-6 weeks, or more. I don’t remember although it was just last year.

I chose toys because they are easier to care for, but also the risk of allergies is smaller because of their size.

It sounds crazy, but green olives might work. You need to eat 7-8 small ones or 3-4 big ones per day. Someone suggested it and I tried it even though I hate them and it helped.

Also, during the actute phase, I take Reactine or Claritin everyday. When I stop sneezing and having asthma then I slowly stop.

Just before having my poodle puppy, I had an adult Chihuahua and after 2 weeks with her, I knew it was too severe and it wouldn’t go away. I had to bring her back to the breeder (we had am agreement to that effect). It’s so hard. I hate allergies!

I really hope it goes away for you too. Don’t give your dog a bath until ypu tolerate her better. Puppies don’t need that much bathing anyways.

Good luck !

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think Claritin for a little while during this acute phase is a great idea. And my husband is going to have to do the puppy baths!

Thanks all, for the support and feedback.

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
I am fairly good with allergies now. For some time when I was young i had to go for weekly shots but I haven't now in years. I just take antihistamine when they act up and I go for non drowsy although they all make me a bit loopy. I seem now to mostly be allergic when the oak trees come in bloom or there is a lot of mold in the air. There really is no reason to bathe the puppy very often. IF your trying to get her use to grooming you cold just take her to a groomer or have someone else do the bathing. I only bath my dog now every 4 weeks and when he was young every 3 just to learn. I go to the groomer as bathing dogs does irritate my allergies.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts