Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 3 short coated dogs but do have small annoying allergies to them that r not bad. Went to buy my daughter a bunny and had a horrible allergic reaction (our eyes swell shut at night when we r asleep). Gave the bunny to my daughter's friend. Figured a poodle would work since it's a low allergen dog. I have never had such a bad reaction and nothing is controlling it. Pills, Flonase, Pazeo eye drops. I think we need to rehome him but due to covid no one can come see him. And I don't want him going to just anyone who comes along. He's my daughter's and she has done such a great job caring for him. We've had him 5 weeks. But I look like the crypt keeper due to my eyes swelling shut. We have 5 hepa filters throughout the house. Hardwood floors, leather furniture, allergy shots. Would prefer to keep him but now my allergies are flaring to my cat that didn't bother me. Will this get any better? Any advice?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
BTW, the existing dogs are very old and dying. One of the reasons we got the puppy is that in a year he might be the only one left.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
People can be allergic to different things in dogs. Saliva, urine, and dander. So if you are allergic to urine it's not going to matter whether you have a shedding dog. Puppies are very messy, so an allergy to urine could flare up really bad with a puppy in the house. Where did you get the puppy? Reputable breeders generally want dogs returned to them if you cannot keep them, and they will be able to find the puppy a new home more easily than you can.

·
Super Moderator
1,507 Posts
Reputable breeders generally want dogs returned to them if you cannot keep them, and they will be able to find the puppy a new home more easily than you can.
Yes, this. If your breeder can't help, there are a number of reputable rescue organizations which should be able to assist you. In my area the rescues can rehome poodles pretty easily; pitbulls and other dogs subject to breed restrictions are the ones that linger.

·
Registered
6,926 Posts
I have severe allergies to many things, including any animal with fur or feathers. I’ve been able to keep dogs all my life, a few specific breeds, but even within the same breed, sometimes a particular dog did not work.

From my experience, if my allergies are still going (and stronger) after 3 weeks, then they won’t go away. It’s better to rehome as soon as possible, as it is not fair to the animal. The crisis we are going through makes that very hard in your case.

Ii your dogs are old, also be aware that you might have developed a tolerance to them specifically. But now that your allergies have « woken up », it is possible your tolerance level has been lowered and you will have allergies to most dogs.

This is why, even though I like medium/big dogs, I have always had smaller dogs. My toys are 6 pounds. Even then, I’m having allergy problems at the moment and trying to figure it out and find solutions.

Allergies are so hard and unfair for animal lovers.

·
Premium Member
6,559 Posts
I have 3 short coated dogs but do have small annoying allergies to them that r not bad. Went to buy my daughter a bunny and had a horrible allergic reaction (our eyes swell shut at night when we r asleep). Gave the bunny to my daughter's friend. Figured a poodle would work since it's a low allergen dog. I have never had such a bad reaction and nothing is controlling it. Pills, Flonase, Pazeo eye drops. I think we need to rehome him but due to covid no one can come see him. And I don't want him going to just anyone who comes along. He's my daughter's and she has done such a great job caring for him. We've had him 5 weeks. But I look like the crypt keeper due to my eyes swelling shut. We have 5 hepa filters throughout the house. Hardwood floors, leather furniture, allergy shots. Would prefer to keep him but now my allergies are flaring to my cat that didn't bother me. Will this get any better? Any advice?
I find bathing the dogs every other week helps my allergies, I used to be severely allergic to dogs couldn't be in the same room with someone that owned a dog.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts