Poodle Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

Registered
I'm so happy for you, and glad he can stay! Also you have such a cute handle I'd miss you on that basis, too 馃槉.

I hope you'll posts pics and progress...

Registered
Eek! Look at that fluffy little face! Sooooooo CUTE.

Yes, the sooner you get him used to grooming, the better. Can choose any clip you like, but shaving Peggy's face, feet, and sanitary area has been life-changing. No more wrestling with eyes crusties! Or other, ickier, crusties! And our excellent groomer has helped a lot with training, too.

Oh and yes - a good puppy class has so many benefits, but even just the socialization opportunity is tough to beat. Our trainer would play recordings of fireworks during relaxation time. She brought out scary masks and hats and roaring monsters like VACUUMS. She even got on a tractor once, while we practised loose leash walking. It's never a "flooding" experience. Always short and positive.

Peggy's met dozens of different dogs through our puppy classes alone, all shapes and sizes and colours. She's played with them and also learned to focus on us in their presence.

An added bonus, is that attending classes together has been a nice bonding experience for my husband and me, and has gotten us on the same page when it comes to how to train and interact with Peggy.

Registered
Very good news- can't imagine a dust allergy - how do you get rid of that stuff ? As for the stealthy way of poodles , their mischievousness - beware that is a poodle trait, for sure. Allergy season here in the spring/summer and I always have to take allergy meds during those seasons.

Registered
Wonderful news!

Registered
Discussion Starter #30
Update: I didn't stop reacting entirely after all, but it's much better than it was and we are still keeping him. I went from porcupine spiked nose upon exposure to an annoying tingle a few times a day. I don't require medication to be around him. I'm hopeful that one day the reaction will go away completely. It is amazing how endearing poodle puppies are... we had to rehome a GSD puppy before because of allergies, but we think it would be harder with Becket. Completing his AKC Registration soon. :)

If anyone's curious and reading this to learn more about allergies & poodles - I talked to another doctor, and she said that the allergy skin tests don't test for everything you can be allergic to in a dog. So even if you test negative on a skin test, but you still react to dogs, you are actually allergic, just to something they can't test for. Good to know. Poodles are easier on people with allergies because their allergens are more localized to their bodies than shedding breeds, but they can still cause reactions to dog allergic individuals.

Registered
I hope the situation remains stable. It must be so frustrating to deal with a perpetually grumpy immune system.

Registered
Discussion Starter #32
Thanks @cowpony . I never had trouble until child #2. Pregnancy taxes the body and most people don't have the nutritional foundation to undergo it resiliently, probably myself included. I've learned a lot about immunology though as a side perk, lol. :)

Registered
Wow, so glad the symptoms have stopped. Hip, hip hooray!

I was going to ask the unmentionable. Were you 100% sure your new puppy was 100% poodle?

And then comment on when I have an allergic reaction to my Spoo. I am fine with him, EXCEPT when he has been playing with other dogs! :eek: So he must then get their saliva/dander/hair or whatever on him, and then I have to bathe him. So, if I go visit my sister for example, She has a part yellow lab. I have to take allergy medication when at her house, and then continue it when we leave until I can get him shampooed with our Earthbath shampoo. It took me the longest time to figure that out!

So now when he goes on a play date, or to doggie day care for the afternoon I have to shampoo him 馃泙

Registered
Thanks @cowpony . I never had trouble until child #2. Pregnancy taxes the body and most people don't have the nutritional foundation to undergo it resiliently, probably myself included. I've learned a lot about immunology though as a side perk, lol. :)
We had a dark humor joke going at work that we were all torqued at our parents for getting us vaccinated against measles. There is evidence that a full blown measles infection triggers immune system amnesia. Yay! My immune system forgets I'm allergic to poison ivy and mangos. Of course this speculative benefit would be counterbalanced by the very real dangers of losing immunity to the flu and everything else I've gotten sick from over the years. Thank you, Mom. Thank you immune system, even if you are a jerk sometimes.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts