Poodle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What if a breeder gave refunds for performance titles up to a certain dollar amount or if a breeder gave refunds for the spay/neuter? I found a breeder not far from me that breeds and shows standards that does this and I find that practice refreshing. If you pay $1600 for one of her pet puppies she will refund $100 when the puppy is spayed or neutered. When you put a performance (not CGC) title on the dog she will refund you $100 per title up to $500. If you put conformation title on the dog she will refund $500 (of course the puppy originally cost more for a show puppy). I think this is a benefit to the pet owner and the breeder because their breeding is being shown and titled in something which goes to a credit on their breeding program.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
I would not refund for spay/neuter because they have to do that by contract anyway. I would, however, consider refunding for a prophylactic gastropexy.

As far as refunding for performance titles, I think it is a great idea because it would be an incentive for more people to get into the sport.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would not refund for spay/neuter because they have to do that by contract anyway. I would, however, consider refunding for a prophylactic gastropexy.

As far as refunding for performance titles, I think it is a great idea because it would be an incentive for more people to get into the sport.
I think that breeder is asking for the money up front for the spay/neuter so that the people buying her puppies are serious about that. Most people want to get their money back if they pay for something before it's done.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I do also... it's kind of a pain to refund for the spay/neuter, but I find they are also anxious to let me know about it too, so they can get that money. It saves me from having to bug them to get it done. But I also wouldn't sell a puppy to someone I wouldn't trust to have it done either. I've made exceptions on 'when' if they have their reasons to wait longer than 12 months. (Not many do) Also once I receive proof, I send them their AKC paperwork. It's in my contract so it's not a surprise.

I refund $50 per title, including CGC... no limit... but the price of my pups are very reasonable compaired to other good breeders I know so I decided to not go with $100.

In years past, most of my buyers were retired people, not interested in performance, but wanting a wonderful, easy to live with temperament. Now I have both and I am so happy to see my pups get out and have 'other' types of fun.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
I do also... it's kind of a pain to refund for the spay/neuter, but I find they are also anxious to let me know about it too, so they can get that money. It saves me from having to bug them to get it done. But I also wouldn't sell a puppy to someone I wouldn't trust to have it done either. I've made exceptions on 'when' if they have their reasons to wait longer than 12 months. (Not many do) Also once I receive proof, I send them their AKC paperwork. It's in my contract so it's not a surprise.

I refund $50 per title, including CGC... no limit... but the price of my pups are very reasonable compaired to other good breeders I know so I decided to not go with $100.

In years past, most of my buyers were retired people, not interested in performance, but wanting a wonderful, easy to live with temperament. Now I have both and I am so happy to see my pups get out and have 'other' types of fun.

I think you have a very good plan and great purpose for what you do. Very admiral. I looked at your site - WOW great looking silvers!! All were but you know, I'm stuck on silver:)

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
I like when breeders do stuff like this. I know a few other breeders ( in other breeds) who do this. If you get titles they give you 100 bucks back.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Thanks, I want my pups to be as happy as possible. They've been known to get surprise packages in the mail too with special chews. Funny how dogs know when a box arrives, it's for them! :)

Ah silvers... <g> I will keep one of the silver females from this litter, as I only have one dog living with me now, and it's way too quiet. My son asked what will I do if the white is the best female though. DON'T SAY THAT!
:)

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Desertreef - your dogs look fantastic :first: !!!! I like the most a black import Kia (but that is because I am crazy about blacks :)) What a neat idea - to import a puppy - that way you definitely are bringing completely fresh gene pool into your line and COI factor is improved tremendously !!!!

Is the process of doing that "tedious" ? Does a puppy need to be certain age to travel that way :) ?

You are doing a great job with your poodles - all that I saw on the site are exceptionally beautiful !!!! And since you actually breed for a temperament - than your dogs must be really a complete package :first:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts