Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Poor Poppy - this morning she started needing to pee ever more frequently, sometimes producing very little, a couple of times when urgency overcame her in the house largish puddles. I gave her dilute chicken stock, which she glolloped happily, and when it became clear that she was uncomfortable I phoned the vets, who very kindly squeezed her in during daylight hours so I didn't have to drive in the dark. So she is now on antibiotics - I hope they are fast acting, because she is not allowed to jump because of her ligament injury, so even if I can persuade her to use a pad upstairs she will need to be lifted on and off the bed. Doing that every 15 minutes all night might get a bit fraught!

On a positive note her vet was very pleased with how well she is using the injured leg. Slow and steady, but very good progress so far.

·
Registered
7,676 Posts
Oh no. Poor Poppy. I hope she feels better quickly

Reactions: fjm

·
Premium Member
2,410 Posts
Poor Poppy, how uncomfortable! She's lucky you spotted it and were able to get in to the vet quickly. Glad she's on the mend.

How are you doing with all of these ups and downs?

·
Premium Member
13,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am a lot happier now she has seen the vet and has started ABs. This morning I thought I might be over reacting - one or two extra trips out don't mean that much - but by early afternoon it was very obvious, and I was very glad the vet fitted her in at short notice. No temperature, so not too severe an infection I hope, and caught early, so with luck a rapid recovery.

The frequency of our visits is beginning to get embarrassing - I suggested booking me a regular weekly slot!

It also shows how useful chicken stock ice cubes are as a freezer stand by - two or three in a cup of boiling water make a warm soup that will persuade most of the animals to drink, even when they refuse plain water.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Sorry sorry to hear this, but glad that you caught it quickly. Hoping the meds kick in quickly so all can get a restful overnight.

·
Premium Member
13,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Perhaps a tad cold for camping, but I do wonder if they don't have a bedroom tucked away upstairs!

Reactions: Liz

·
Registered
148 Posts
The treatment plan (up and down all night) sounds as rough on you as on Poppy!

I hope she recovers soon and you are able to catch up on misses sleep.

·
Premium Member
13,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Poppy had a much better night than I feared. She slept from 8.30-11pm, when I took her out for a pee and up to bed, and she then slept until 6.30am. I spent the first half of the night wakeful in case she needed to go out, so after taking the dogs out and giving all the animals breakfast and Poppy her medicines we all went back to bed for a few hours. She seems much more comfortable and less desperate this morning, so I'm hoping she is on the mend, and am very glad the vets were able to fit her in so quickly.

Sophy is rather disgruntled. She thinks a second getting-up-in-the-morning should mean a second breakfast, and when I gave Poppy a bowl of chicken stock she revisited her own breakfast bowl hopefully. I gave her a few treats, but she is still feeling slightly cheated!

·
Premium Member
2,410 Posts
Does this also mean that you were able to get a full night's sleep? I hope so.

·
Premium Member
13,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, I dropped off around 2am, and slept again after giving them their breakfast, so nearly a full night. One of the joys of being retired is that an afternoon zizz is not out of the question, should it feel desirable!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts