Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well Molly had her dental surgery today and instead of just the two molars she fractured, she ended up with 3 more tooth extractions due to a underlying gum infection! WOW! I was taking really good care of her teeth I thought! Vet said I was actually quite lucky as small dogs seem to be notorious for bad teeth by the time they are 3 or 4! She said it was apparent that I was taking care of her teeth FWIWW!!!
She had tooth #s 110, 109, 108, 207,& 406 pulled!
She came out of anesthesia really easily the Dr. said and now here at home she is a little tired (because of pain management meds) but is very alert.
I bet she is going to love eating nothing but yummy canned food for the next 2 weeks LOL!

Notice she had her IV placed in her back leg so she didn't have to have an ugly shaved front leg........I was happy they were so thoughtful of the aesthetics Hahaha!!!!

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Glad she did well. It's not uncommon for the dogs teeth to look ok but have issues under the gum. It's why a lot of people don't recommend the sedation free dentals cause they give people a false sense of how their dog's teeth are.
I got lucky, my mini poodle is 13 and has all of his teeth! I scale them on occasion but haven't been all that diligent with them. He just won the genetic lottery in that department. He looks like he may start to need more help that way soon as he's getting a bit more build up than he used to.
I see my pom having issues with his itty bitty teeth

·
Registered
7,086 Posts
Poor Molly. I’m so glad you caught this early and got her treated. Hopefully she will bounce back quickly.

Reactions: MollyMuiMa

·
Registered
12,214 Posts
She will soon feel much better with all those gone. Tooth care for tinies is hard work! Have a good snooze, Molly, and enjoy your scrummy soft food.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Glad to hear that Molly is doing well following her dental work. Poor baby.......she always looks adorable, even when she is woozy from drugs. (((Hugs)))

Cathy and Poppy

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Glad she did well and is recovering. A few years back my chihuahua had 6 pulled. He also enjoyed soft food but then I noticed he was snatching any kibble he could too, lol Didn't seem to faze him in the least. I think it too about 3 days and he was normal, hopefully it goes fast for Molly too.

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
Poor little Molly it will feel better shortly, mom took all 3 of us 2 one day and me the next. We go some really good food, first baby food, then canned, we tried to convenience her we could not eat our regular food after 4 or 5 days, but she would not give in. Bella would not hold out, so we ate our dinner that evening. We girls and mom want to to feel better quickly. Cayenne, Sage, Bella and mom

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sorry to hear this. Did the vet say she had gingivitis or periodontal disease?
No Vita. The Doctor was impressed at how good her teeth looked for her age and never having a cleaning done! She fractured both 4th premolars on a bone,got infected, and on one side the infection spread to the surrounding teeth. The one tiny premolar was pulled because the Vet said it was loose and the other upper 4th premolar was also fractured .......There's a explaination/diagram in my opening post.

24 HOUR UPDATE................You would never know she was in surgery yesterday! I gave her her tramadol and meloxicam early this morning and by this afternoon she was reminding me it was time to go scootering.........and if I'm not careful the canned food is gonna make her fat!! Everthing is back to normal LOL!!!

·
Super Moderator
3,010 Posts
That's just mind-blowing. You're the only person I've ever known who brushes their dog's teeth routinely, for this crazy thing to happen; I didn't know this was possible, and shocked that those teeth couldn't be saved with antibiotics. Makes me sad, Molly is one of my favorite dogs. Thank God she's bounced back. My only worry is it too soon for canned dog food? (Sigh.) Maybe one of those water jet tooth things would be good for her for awhile after she eats, just a thought.

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That's just mind-blowing. You're the only person I've ever known who brushes their dog's teeth routinely, for this crazy thing to happen; I didn't know this was possible, and shocked that those teeth couldn't be saved with antibiotics. Makes me sad, Molly is one of my favorite dogs. Thank God she's bounced back. My only worry is it too soon for canned dog food? (Sigh.) Maybe one of those water jet tooth things would be good for her for awhile after she eats, just a thought.
Soft food is on the advice of the vet...........which makes for a VERY happy dog who thinks canned food is the equivalent of candy! As far as using any kind of tooth brush right now.....no, as she has stitches in her gums (absorbable) that I don't want to mess with......although I do do a mouth rinse of chlorhexidine solution ( vet approved) in addition to her antibiotic medication. We got this! LOL!
NOTE TO EVERYBODY WITH 'LITTLE' POODLES..........BE CAREFUL of what you let your little one chew on!!! LOL!:amen:

·
Registered
7,086 Posts
MollyMuiMa, our vet said no bones, no cooked bones, no raw bones. And nothing hard - nothing that I can't press my finger nail and indent - which means no deer antler etc.

I stick to bully sticks.

I'm glad Molly is doing so well.

Reactions: MollyMuiMa
1 - 20 of 20 Posts