Poodle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Poor Jasper isn't allowed to have raw marrow bones for a while. They're hard on his coat, particularly his legs. Since teething he really needed the distraction the other night, so I decided to sneak in one last bone.

Jasper and I raided the teenagers sock drawer and "borrowed" a pair of mismatched soccer socks. They went all the way up to his chest. Then we used an old hand towel as a bib. I didn't have any extra safety pins to hold the towel on so used chip clips LOL. Hey, I'm a Mom, we're good at improvising :). Believe it or not he didn't fight very much about the socks and kept everything on until finished with the bone. The coat on his legs and chest remained unscathed from our bone adventure!

Here is Jasper patiently waiting, in his ridiculous outfit, for the bone. Sorry for the bad quality, I took this with my iPhone.

·
Super Moderator
2,956 Posts
What a good and patient soul he is!! Poodles are soooo [email protected] smart it's not even funny sometimes - he KNEW there was a method to your madness and he was just going to wait it out and see what was "in it" for him! :)

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
That is absolutely ingenious idea LOL - you have a patent right there !!!!!

Eh .... what a dog would not do for a juicy bone ;) !!!

Maybe you can "sneak" one or two more occasionally now that you invented the method :)!!!

Did it work ??? : ))))

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It worked wonderfully! No signs of staining on his feet, legs or chest. Now if I could just figure out how to protect around his mouth and nose LOL.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
You see : ))) ??? !!!!

OK - nose is much easier to clean LOL ;). Just wash his mouth as you did your son's when he was a 2-year old LOL

·
Registered
708 Posts
He is adorable:) What type of bone is it that is so messy? My girls don't have any mess after they eat, so just wondering if maybe that is the cause. Is it just stickiness or does the food get caught in his hair?

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
He is adorable:) What type of bone is it that is so messy? My girls don't have any mess after they eat, so just wondering if maybe that is the cause. Is it just stickiness or does the food get caught in his hair?
The raw marrow bones tend to slightly stain/discolor where they lay on his coat. The front of his legs and around his mouth take the brunt of it.

·
Registered
708 Posts
\
The raw marrow bones tend to slightly stain/discolor where they lay on his coat. The front of his legs and around his mouth take the brunt of it.
Oh, I see. I only give chicken bones so that is
probably why I didn't see that on the girls. He looked all to happy to see the bib if it meant good grub. He is so cute; I can't wait to see how he does in the shows:)

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
That is interesting :rolffleyes:- who would guess that black hair can be affected with a raw bone ...hmmmm...:rolffleyes:

Do you wash his face immediately after the "bone time" ???

I was giving my spoo lightly cooked bone - just could not stand a blood and smell LOL I know that cooking a bone is a no-no so I can not recommend it for you. Thankfully it never ever broke for him - but it was just "blanched" for a couple of minutes in a hot water and was taken away from him as soon as he "shaved" all cartilage and licked out all of the marrow. (after maybe an hour of fun LOL ) He was never alone with a bone anyway ...

Than one of us would take a warm vet towel and wash his face and paws.

BTW - I also fed my spoo raw carrots (actually a Vet told me to try it) and fresh bananas and apples. He loved them all ...

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh Wish, don't even get me started on the grossness of the bones LOL. Let me just say, you've not smelled anything until you've smelled raw venison marrow bones. I only made THAT mistake once LOL. Beef aren't so bad, but I try really really hard to not look at the meat and goo on the bone after he's chewed on it LOL.

Interestingly enough I saw several of the black dogs with brown/reddish discoloration at the show on Sunday. Mostly around the mouth and near the eyes.

It's either Jasper's saliva causing the staining, or the raw meat on the bone. It's not slap you in the face noticeable. In the right light you can see it though and most of the upcoming shows are outdoors. Both breeder and groomer have told me to stop the bones so I'm trying to listen. It's hard when they make puppyhood so much easier!

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
\

Oh, I see. I only give chicken bones so that is
probably why I didn't see that on the girls. He looked all to happy to see the bib if it meant good grub. He is so cute; I can't wait to see how he does in the shows:)
Thanks :). We're trying chicken wings and such now. Perhaps a solution!

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Is discoloration just around his "mouth" (lips) ??? How about putting some "barrier" like some vaseline around the edge of the mouth - it will definitely prevent any liquid (saliva or bone juice) come directly in contact with the hair.

Vaseline is completely inert substance - which means - is not absorbed by the skin or digested (ingested). It is the base of most lip-balms and creams : ))), but in pure form has no additives (no smell or color). It would be completely safe to use IMO, BUT, since the show is so close, maybe you can try it after first round of shows are over :rolffleyes: Just a thought ; ) Of course - he would need even MORE washing to take that grease off :doh: OK - maybe not such a good idea LOL

I just wish I can find a solution for him : (((

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Sometimes I mixed it with a regular food (he was fed home made cooked food) and sometimes I would cut it in half inch thick circles and gave it as a snack together with banana cut in same circles. Kind off - mini banana/carrot sandwich ; ) . Of course he loved banana more LOL, but put up with a carrot for the sake of a yummy fruit. ;)

My Vet said that carrots would give him a lot of carotenoid vitamins important for the healthy eyes : )) ! But, he also got a carrot in cooked form - so I can not be the judge which form gave him vitamins in a more "available" form.

His sis crunched those carrots gladly LOL.

Maybe the factor was also the fact that they were introduced to that form of food as puppies :rolffleyes:

·
Registered
107 Posts
I've put socks on Savannah before when giving her something to chew but never thought of using a towel as a bib. I'm not sure it might bother her too much for her to care about the bone though lol.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Wish--I know, it's tough! I'm trying to find the happy medium between puppyhood and the show stuff. I have to admit that puppyhood wins for most things which would probably make the hardcore show people cringe. I'm sure we'll find our happy medium at some point.

And it's good to see that I'm not the only one who does creative ;) stuff like this. Separate from showing it's just helpful with keeping them cleaner in general! Once Jasper figured out he was getting a bone out of it he would have let me dress him up in hair curlers and lipstick LOL :D.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts