Poodle Forum banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Our boy is Jaxon pronounced just like "Jackson" but I wanted a unique spelling. He was named in our daughter's memory, who passed away almost a year and half ago. She liked the name Jackson and wanted to name our grandson Jackson, but then decided at the last minute to call him Garrett. I found out Jackson means, "God is gracious" which seemed just right for what our family was going through after her death. Anyway, on a brighter note, his name and it's funky spelling, fits his personality perfectly! Now that we are raising Garrett, these two are like brothers and "best buds," hence the photo which I took just this morning!

Attachments

·
Registered
636 Posts
Touching story, DeeMarie!

Through many years of dreaming of having my very own dog, I always loved the name Luca ever since I heard the Suzanne Vega song (or Luke for a boy dog). But when it actually came time to name the dog, my three boys HATED that name! Kept saying how terrible and ugly it was, on and on. So the day we drove to the breeder to pick her out, I said to them, "Well, since you all don't like Luca, what name do you like?" My oldest immediately said, "Just name her a regular name, like Sam."

Well, being a kindergarten teacher, my brain immediately went to the name Sam-I-Am, and it stuck! She is Sammi for short (aka "Sam-Sam", "Doh Sam-Sam", and "Puppin").

·
Registered
10,294 Posts
Deemarie, I was saddened to read that you lost your daughter not too long ago. I am so very sorry. What a hard thing to go through. Your boy, Jaxon's name is indeed the perfect fit. Your grandson and he look so happy together.

Well, I often, not always though, like to choose names that go with the breed's "nationality." haha. My Chihuahuas got Mexican names. Jose` and Chulita, which isn't really a name, but a slang expression meaning cute little chick.

Now, everyone says that Poodles are a German creation but France standardized them and they were so popular that they became "their national dog." So, I decided they'd get French names. I loved the sound of Matisse, especially the way they say it. And I studied art and love the French artists, though he was more of a modern or revolutionary kind of artist. Anyhow, then I had to come up with a registered name. He is white and he runs like lightening and did as a little pup. He looked like a streak flashing across the lawn. So, I looked up French words for streak or flash of lightening and came up with a word that has more than one meaning. Eclair. Flash of lightening. (and the pastry) So that was it. And it is now Ch Valcopy Matisse L'Eclair (Valcopy, being the kennel name)

And Maurice is also a French name and was my Grandfather's name, though he was mostly Irish, not French. But I didn't name him purposely after my Grandfather. I just like the name and it somehow reminds me of a little mouse or something very small. Was there a mouse as a nursery rhyme or children's story? Something in my subconscious makes me think "small" when I hear the name, Maurice. So Maurice was and is a tiny Poodle. He's so demure and sweet, laid back and adorable and Maurice just fit him. So his registered name is very simple, like he is....Valcopy Maurice Goodfella. That's it. And he is such a good boy that Goodfella fit too. haha. Not very sophisticated or complicated, but that's Maurice.

They have all kinds of nick names. And the worry I had that they they'd get mixed up because their names sort of rhyme turns out to be unfounded. They totally hear the difference. But I'm the one who gets their names mixed up. But I would anyhow. So, it's moot. Sometimes Maurice gets called Maury. Matisse gets called Mattie but mostly I use their regular names. They get called collectively, Poodlens, Poodles, boys. Mattie moo moo, Moooooooorrrrrrry and they don't care. They come to anything.

I enjoyed reading all the different names and the interesting reasons behind the names you all chose. And Manxcat...I wouldn't have known that Chagall was pronounced that way unless I had taken art history in school. LOL. It definitely sounds prettier the way it's suppose to be pronounced, doesn't it. And Chanter too. I didn't know that until I was informed. My mother would have known. She took French in school.

·
Registered
32 Posts
This seems like the perfect thread to introduce my Mish. Mishka means little bear in Russian, which my husband and his family speak. It was one of the first words I learned in Russian. We often call him Mish and my mother will tell you that it is short for mischief.

This picture is from the day we brought him home last August when he was 7 months old.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Great thread!

From first to last:

Billy ~ Wispynook's Blue Magic. Billy is my first poodle. It was an exciting time; magical. :) He is a dark blue and it was an easy name for me to come up with at the time. He has many call names because that's just me. I have lots of pet names for my dogs. He goes by Bubby, Bubba, Bill-Bob, Bobbie-Doo, Bubby-Doo and when he isn't cooperating, he goes by William or Billwilliam.

Song ~ Born shortly after the loss of my mother from Alzheimer's Disease. She was adored by all of us in the family. Mom was a dedicated soprano in the church choir for all of the years that I can remember. She had me and my sisters join as well. Our family enjoyed and still enjoy signing almost every time we get together. A puppy was to be picked from our first litter for me. My sister and I agreed that she would be named to honor our mother. Song was the first born of our first litter on Easter morning. It was surely a sign for us. She was given the name Wispyook's Carol Sings To Heaven, and, of course, the call name Song. She often goes by my pet name for her; Beeboo. And names like Bibyboo, etc.

Ayanna ~ My first purchased bitch from show lines out of champions. The stipulation from her breeder was that she have a registered name from a race horse. I looked for hours until I found something that hit me as perfect for her. Her registered name is Alaman's Creme Dela Creme. Ayanna is a light creme/almost white. It has a sound of elegance and that was it for me. Her call name is Eastern African and means "this is a beautiful flower". Perfect! Her nicknames are Bean (one of my favorites) Beanner, Nana, Nanies, Nananana, Nanynou. Ayanna is a champion now.

Allie ~ My little spitfire! :D She is also an Alaman bitch. She came out of my favorite black bitch, Elle, who was named after the popular woman's magazine. As with Ayanna, there was a litter them. She had to be named after a woman's magazine. There weren't a lot to choose from but when I hit Allure, I know that was it. Her registered name is Alaman's Allure at Wispynook. She always give me the feeling that she is alluring. Her call name is Allie as a shortened version of Allure. I like the sound and feel of it. She has nicknames like Allie button, Ballalie, Ballalala. Yep, I like musical sounding names. Allie has 4 points toward her championship. I expect her to be going back out soon with her handler to finish.

Sorry I wrote a book, but names are really personal and important to me. Thanks for starting this thread. It is fun to read all the stories.

·
Registered
140 Posts
When i was looking at poodles i was trying to come up with names and I saw this one and i said with her coloring and spots she looked like a picaso painting. Her dads name had silver in it so i came up with Picasos Silver Penny. We just call her Penny, along with a few other names lately that i should tell you LOL.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Oh what a fun thread! My girl's name is Khaleesi Daenerys, it's pronounced KUH-LEE-SEE and the last part DUH-NAIR-EES, we just short it to Khaleesi or Leesi it's from the book series A Song of Ice and Fire, you'd know it as Game of Thrones on tv. There's a white haired character who's title is Khaleesi (means queen) and her name is Daenerys, since she like the character starts was very timid and grew strong. Her registered name is Valcopy Watch the Queen Conquer, it comes from a song lyric ''you can be the king but watch the queen conquer" I loved it because it sounded so grandiose and matched the queen theme.

·
Registered
120 Posts
2 year old brown mini Rembrandt is named after the Dutch artist/painter. I'm a big Sprinsteen & Rolling Stones fan. I almost named Rembrandt Springsteen or Jagger. I wanted something regal and elegant so Rembrandt is his name.

Last summer I was at a pet store with Rembrandt. A teenage girl asked if I named him after the toothpaste. I was speechless. I would never name my baby/son after a toothpaste. Now when I introduce Rembrandt I say he is named after the Dutch artist not the toothpaste!!!

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
"Last summer I was at a pet store with Rembrandt. A teenage girl asked if I named him after the toothpaste. I was speechless. I would never name my baby/son after a toothpaste. Now when I introduce Rembrandt I say he is named after the Dutch artist not the toothpaste!!! "

That is so sad - I am not an art history aficionado, but when I was a teen I at least heard of the big artists since the Renaissance and up to the early 20th century!

I guess that's the way of our education system these days - very sad

·
Banned
10,387 Posts
2 year old brown mini Rembrandt is named after the Dutch artist/painter. I'm a big Sprinsteen & Rolling Stones fan. I almost named Rembrandt Springsteen or Jagger. I wanted something regal and elegant so Rembrandt is his name.

Last summer I was at a pet store with Rembrandt. A teenage girl asked if I named him after the toothpaste. I was speechless. I would never name my baby/son after a toothpaste. Now when I introduce Rembrandt I say he is named after the Dutch artist not the toothpaste!!!

I had parrots named Magic Rat and Rosalita - I think the Vet was not into Bruce and thought Magic Rat was insulting and used to call him Magic lol
And my first poodle was Jolé Blon and everyone used to think her name was Joe Lee Blonde - used to drive me crazy, no matter how slow I said it, nobody could understand it. All of my girls since then have had the middle name Blon - I like the way that it connects them.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Chell (not Shell - hard CH) got her name from the game Portal. It's a fairly popular game in which you try to solve puzzle rooms using a portal gun while you try not to get killed by the AI that's running the show... but very few people know that the character you play is named Chell! So I've yet to meet a person who actually knows her name. Yet Everyone seems to know ''The Cake is a Lie'' or "Aperture Science" or other things from the game... :p

I did not know that Chagall was Sh! Because of Chell's name I've been saying Cha-gahl! oops!

This is a great thread!

·
Registered
574 Posts
When I was trying to come up with a name for Raven, I wanted something regal sounding but not too foo foo. I love a English history and is thought I was getting a black dog so I chose Ravenleigh (reminds me on Avonlea) because I could imagine her in a grand manor home. Then I found out she was actually a blue puppy and I tacked the word Haze on the end so her name would still fit her once she grayed out to blue. Wilderness is the Kennel name.

So glad to know how Luce's name is really pronounce, always wondered just seeing it in print.

·
Registered
21 Posts
"Last summer I was at a pet store with Rembrandt. A teenage girl asked if I named him after the toothpaste. I was speechless. I would never name my baby/son after a toothpaste. Now when I introduce Rembrandt I say he is named after the Dutch artist not the toothpaste!!! "

That is so sad - I am not an art history aficionado, but when I was a teen I at least heard of the big artists since the Renaissance and up to the early 20th century!

I guess that's the way of our education system these days - very sad
I half named Delta after the Greek letter. I have had a few people ask if I named him after the airline, and all of them were over 50! Wouldn't say it's the schools today specifically, just peoples' interests and areas of study. :) Maybe the teen wants to be a dentist?

The other half of Delta's name is an webseries, though. There's a series of characters, named after Greek letters, who are comprised mainly of a certain trait...Sigma is creativity, Gamma is deceit, Theta is trust, and Delta is logic. Since poodles are smart, I chose to name my Delta after Delta the logical character. There were three puppies in his litter that the breeder felt suited my wants (male sports prospects)..."red" was very bold, "green" (Delta) was somewhere in the middle of bold and cautious, and stayed with me the most while I visited the puppies, and "silver" was pretty shy. Theta is also a shy character and had Delta not been perfect for my needs, temperamentally, I would have gone with "silver" and named him Theta. :) The characters also have colors strongly associated with them, and Delta-the-character's color is green. I was already holding Delta and Theta as my two main picks, name-wise, so when I saw green-collar-puppy being perfect temperament...

True to his namesake, Delta is super smart and a bit cheeky too. An absolute joy to have around!

Ooh, I love Portal! Never thought of naming any creature Chell, but what a great name! Certainly wouldn't go with GLaDOS or Wheatley, lol! GLaDOS could be great for a cat though ;)

·
Registered
184 Posts
This seems like the perfect thread to introduce my Mish. Mishka means little bear in Russian, which my husband and his family speak. It was one of the first words I learned in Russian. We often call him Mish and my mother will tell you that it is short for mischief.

This picture is from the day we brought him home last August when he was 7 months old.
i was thinking of naming my doggie this if I get a girl!! It seemed feminine to me but is my favorite name. Its looking like I may get a boy instead. I never thought of naming him Mishka!:eyebrows:

·
Registered
101 Posts
Azuki Bear

:bump:

So, tell us, how do you say your Poodle's name? Do they have a full name and a call name? How did you find it or decide on it? What does the name mean, or what does it mean to you? Anything else you want to share!
Ah - Zoo - Kee.

Taken from my member intro,

My name is Azuki, although my parents call me Zuki, Zukes, Zukisaurus, Zuka-dukes, Zukesters, Red Fur, Furry Baby, Baby Cakes, and even Mr. Mustache-man (I'm a boy). Lately though, they keep calling me Tubby Cakes, although I'm not sure I like that name.. Azuki means 'red bean' in Japanese. I reminded my parents of a red bean when I was a baby, and since I'm a red Miniature, Red Bean I became.
Sometimes, we call him Monkey or Zuki Bear.

I think it would be nice to have one thread to reference whenever we're reading along and want to know more about a name we come across, without hijacking that thread!
Good idea. Although, it would probably have to turn into a sticky to serve in that capacity so it doesn't get lost in the archives, and be read in threaded/hybrid display mode to find members easily.

Additional related threads/stories over the years that might interest others:

·
Registered
465 Posts
I somehow missed this thread earlier :)

Newt is named for the character in Aliens. The little girl who survived by scuttling around. Newt was found running a freeway in the desert, unknown as to how she got there, and with an old healed injury. Whether it is just her personality or due to her circumstance, she's always been a bit flighty and scuttled from here to there. So, Newt.

Brooks is named for a character in Shawshank Redemption, a Stephen King novella (as well as a lovely movie). His registered name is Regaliz Different Seasons, Different Seasons being the name of the book that contains that story.

41 - 60 of 60 Posts