Poodle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am so proud of Topper! He earned qualifying scores in each of eight nosework runs at our FIRST trial last weekend. He got a third place in containers and fifth in buried (but they only gave ribbons through fourth place)! His scores were in the top half to top quarter of the classes, too.

My goal going into the two-day trial was to just do the searches in a different environment. It has been about a year since we finished our three six-week long nose work classes, and I've done some practice with containers, interior, exterior and vehicle searches since then. This trial included buried, which we hadn't learned in class. I asked the local nosework FB group how to train it and got some great suggestions. It took several practice sessions, but Topper was able to figure out what to do with those plastic tubs filled with sand with the cooling racks on top of them.

He was excited, distracted and behaving like a wild animal until he saw the containers arranged for his first search. Then he realized why we were there and he went straight to work. After the first search, he learned to wait politely in line for our next searches, sleep in his crate in the car between searches, and not have to meet every dog and person he saw. Maybe at our next trial he won'thave to jump on every volunteer....

Dog Water dog Carnivore Companion dog Dog breed

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
Huge congratulations. That buried in sand is a challenge - good job earning those Qs.

Reactions: PowersPup

·
Registered
Leo (GSD), Lily (APBT), and Simon (SPoo)
989 Posts
Congratulations!

·
Registered
259 Posts
Big congratulations! I was a timer at a trial this weekend. I saw firsthand all the love and hope and training that goes into preparing a dog for competition. As the stopwatch holder, I was amazed how fast the seconds flitted by.
Good job training, but even better job remaining calm and setting a great emotional level for your dog to model. You should be very proud of both of you for your accomplishments!

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Congrats !!
Just hope I'm doing the right thing with Poppy's truffle training:):unsure:
Yes, you are! I've read your posts about the truffle training and think you're doing well enough that you could become a millionnaire. The basic thing about nose work is to introduce the scent (birch, truffle, whatever), and reward the dog for sniffing it. Then put it in a container and reward the dog for finding it in the container. Once this is solid (with poodles, it probably takes three tries), bury the scent. Rinse and repeat as needed!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts