Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I went to the show in Pueblo, CO for an interview with an AKC rep regarding my application to judge junior showmanship. The rep was Diana Wilson. I took a junior showmanship seminar under her earlier this year. I had studied for the interview for days - all the things that have changed since I resigned my license 20 years ago. The interview was a great experience - we discussed the breeds of dogs I have shown and/or bred as well as just talking about a variety of dog show experiences. When it was time for her to end our interview in order to do other things, she said, almost as an afterthought, that I had, of course, passed the interview requirement.

I've never known an AKC rep who was unpleasant, but she is much more than just nice - she is helpful and really nice to talk to.

·
Registered
7,158 Posts
Congratulations. It’s wonderful that you are doing this to help encourage the sport of conformation.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
That is so wonderful Johanna!! So glad that it was a pleasant experience and congratulations!

·
Premium Member
22,982 Posts
Oh Johanna that is wonderful! I am not surprised that you passed (with flying colors galore). Junior showmanship is so important to the future of dog sports. I wish more people would think about having their children try it. I have only known three junior handlers in the ten year's I've been involved in dog sports. Two who only did agility and one who showed a CKCS that his mom bred in conformation (Ch I believe), obedience (CD), rally (RAE) and agility (MACh). He has been in the agility finals at Westminster. We need more like him.

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
Congratulations! I think they are lucky to have you!!!!

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, folks, for the nice words. I'm looking forward to judging JS - we need to encourage youngsters to participate in the sport if we expect the sport to continue. I spoke with professional handler Clint Livingston at the Pueblo show - when he was a boy I judged him on several occasions - he was outstanding as a junior and he is an excellent handler.

If you are wondering about the previous statement, I was an AKC judge for a number of years but resigned my license when family issues and job issues took over my life. I don't think I'll be able to resurrect my license to judge breeds since I was not active at all for about 20 years, so junior showmanship is all I applied for.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts